none
Not Connecting To Windows Mobile Device Center RRS feed

• Question

• I want to be able to connect with a Windows Mobile Device through Windows Mobile Device Center, within a Virtual Machine.  When connecting through the Hyper-V Manager and through Remote Desktop, under "Other supported RemoteFX USB devices", I can see the Symbol USB Sync Cradle.  In the VM, in Device Manager, I don't see a USB connection.  In the VM, I don't see any meaningful errors in the Event Viewer.

Host:  Windows 8.1 Enterprise Hyper-V on a Domain.  Upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro.  When this computer was originally installed with Windows 8 Pro, Hyper-V was enabled.  I removed Hyper-V, and installed VMWare Player, because I wanted USB Pass-through.  I then uninstalled VMWare and installed VirtualBox.  Recently, I uninstalled VirtualBox, upgraded to Windows 8.1 Enterprise, and enabled Hyper-V.

Virtual Machine OS: Windows Server 2012 R2 on a Workgroup.  Started out with being a VMWare VM, using VMWare Player.  Moved to VirtualBox.  USB Pass-through was working in both those virtual environments.  Used Disk2VHD to convert the VM to a VHDX file.

On the Host:

1. Windows Mobile Device Center is connected to a Motorola Windows Mobile Device (MC959X) sitting in a Symbol USB Cradle.  The OS on the scanner is Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 Classic CE OS 5.2.29217 (Build 29217.5.3.12.26).  Advanced Networking (USB to PC) is not enabled.
    2. Enabled RemoteFX. 
    3. In the RDP file, and in the Registry, added the GUID's for:
    • WPD "{eec5ad98-8080-425f-922a-dabf3de3f69a}";
    • Windows Mobile "{6AC27878-A6FA-4155-BA85-F98F491D4F33}";
    • USB Device "{88BAE032-5A81-49f0-BC3D-A4FF138216D6}";
    • Windows CE USB Device "{25dbce51-6c8f-4a72-8a6d-b54c2b4fc835}";
    • GUID_DEVINTERFACE_USB_DEVICE "{A5DCBF10-6530-11D2-901F-00C04FB951ED}"

Ran "sfc /scannow"

All Microsoft Updates are current.

What am I missing?

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 4:28 PM

All replies

• Hi dreisman,

To use USB connection in Hyper-V of Windows 8.1, there is a new future of  Hyper-v in Windows 8.1. It is “Enhanced Session Mode” and it includes a capability called “USB Device redirection”. You can use this future to achieve your goal.

To use this future ,here is a link for reference:

Overview: Client Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 8.1

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2013/12/05/overview-client-hyper-v-enhanced-session-mode-in-windows-8-1/

Best regards  
    Friday, November 21, 2014 2:26 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. Nice Try. Enhanced Session Mode is already enabled at the Policy and User Levels:

I am wondering if I am missing an important driver. 

The reason that I say that is that after I uninstalled VirtualBox, Hyper-V would work, but the Hyper-V Manager would not open.  I could only administer Hyper-V using PowerShell.  Whenever I tried to open the Hyper-V Manager, a DLL error was displayed.  I figured that some .NET Framework component was corrupted.  I had to upgrade the OS from Pro to Enterprise to get the Hyper-V Manager to work again. 

I am thinking that something else is missing which was not picked up during the upgrade.  I am trying to avoid performing a Repair Install of the OS.

Friday, November 21, 2014 11:01 PM
  • Hi dreisman,

“When connecting through the Hyper-V Manager and through Remote Desktop, under "Other supported RemoteFX USB devices", I can see the Symbol USB Sync Cradle.” “Enhanced Session Mode is already enabled at the Policy and User Levels”.

Just to make a further confirmation,have you checked this configuration as below?

Meanwhile, you mentioned that some errors happened in previous OS, what is the error? how about the situation now? Have you tried to run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth to check and fix some missing\corrupted files in case the direct upgrade process doesn’t fix the error you mentioned previously.

Best regards

Monday, November 24, 2014 10:07 AM
  • Hello MeipoXu,

Thank you for your questions.

Here is what I have checked:

When the previous OS was installed, whenever I tried to open the Hyper-V Manager, this error would pop-up:

"Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Virtualization.Client.Common, Version=6.3.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest."

I ran the command which did not fix the problem:

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:10 PM
  • On the Guest, in Application Event Log, this entry appears regularly.  Could this be a symptom of the problem?  If so, how do I get past this error?  I have reinstalled Windows Mobile Device Center several times:

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:11 PM
  • Hi dreisman,

"I have reinstalled Windows Mobile Device Center several times:"

Before you reinstall the Windows Mobile Device Center,please ensure you have uninstalled it correctly.

To uninstall Windows Mobile Device Center, you can try the following steps:

1. Open the Start menu.
     2. Click Control Panel.
     3. Click on Uninstall or Change a Program.
     4. Select Windows Mobile Device Center from the program list and click
     Uninstall.
     5. Select Windows Mobile Device Center Driver Update from the program list
     and click Uninstall.

Meanwhile ,please ensure the guset machine has got the latest update.

Best regards

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 1:49 AM
  • Thank you for your efforts. I have followed those instructions, but I am still not all the way there yet. 

Now, on the Guest, in the Device Manager, under Mobile Devices, I see the Symbol USB Sync.  But Windows Mobile Device Center still does not connect.

In the Application Event Log, these Events  are being generated:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        WcesComm
    Date:          12/8/2014 12:45:54 PM
    Event ID:      7
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      DansWinServ12R2
    Description:
    Windows Mobile-based device failed to connect due to Start USB Connection (0x80004005) failure (see data for failure code).
    Event Xml:
    < Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="WcesComm" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-12-08T20:45:54.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>7468</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>DansWinServ12R2</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>Start USB Connection (0x80004005)</Data>
      </EventData>
    < /Event>

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-ApplicationExperienceInfrastructure
    Date:          12/8/2014 12:45:54 PM
    Event ID:      1
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:     
    User:          DANSWINSERV12R2\dreisman
    Computer:      DansWinServ12R2
    Description:
    The application (Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1, from vendor Microsoft) has the following problem: To function properly, Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 must be reinstalled after you upgrade Windows.
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-ApplicationExperienceInfrastructure" Guid="{5EC13D8E-4B3F-422E-A7E7-3121A1D90C7A}" />
        <EventID>1</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>2</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-12-08T20:45:54.044605800Z" />
        <EventRecordID>7469</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4832" ThreadID="4960" />
        <Computer>DansWinServ12R2</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-3621870490-2575533387-1312730109-1001" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="DBType">15</Data>
        <Data Name="AppNameCount">33</Data>
        <Data Name="AppName">Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1</Data>
        <Data Name="VendorNameCount">10</Data>
        <Data Name="VendorName">Microsoft</Data>
        <Data Name="SummaryCount">102</Data>
        <Data Name="Summary">To function properly, Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 must be reinstalled after you upgrade Windows.</Data>
        <Data Name="SessionID">1</Data>
      </EventData>
    < /Event>

I have reinstalled Windows Mobile Device Center several times.

Any thoughts?

Monday, December 8, 2014 9:01 PM
  • Hi dreisman1,

“Now, on the Guest, in the Device Manager, under Mobile Devices, I see the Symbol USB Sync.” It sounds that we have made a great forward.

Is there any warning in the Device Manager ? Please check the drivers from the Device Manager and ensure it can work correctly.

Here is a link ,the troubleshooting tips in it may be helpful.

Description of Windows Mobile Device Center

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931937

Best regards
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 11:00 AM
  • Thank you for trying to help MeipoXu.

If RNDIS mode is enabled, the Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter is displayed in Device Manager on the Host machine, under Network Adapters.  This Network Adapter is not displayed on the Guest.

If RNDIS mode is disabled, in Device Manager, the Symbol USB Sync is displayed under Mobile Devices and the name of the Portable Device is displayed under that category.  On the Guest, the Mobile Device is displayed but the Portable Device is not.  I believe that Windows Mobile Device Center is looking for the Portable Device.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 6:06 PM
  • Hi dreisman1,

"the Symbol USB Sync is displayed under Mobile Devices"

Have you tried to uninstall the Symbol USB Sync , disconnect and then reconnect your device ?

The driver may be installed incorrectly .Uninstall the driver and reconnect the device to the machine ,the driver will be installed automatically.You may need to manually download the driver from the manufacturer website and install it to have a check.

Best regards

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:15 AM
  • As far as I understand, Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) provides the driver. I have reinstalled WMDC many times. When WMDC is not installed, no connection can be made with the Host.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:15 PM
  • When I unplug the device from the Guest, on the Host, the Application Event Log generates this error:

Source:        RapiMgr
    Date:          12/12/2014 8:45:29 AM
    Event ID:      8
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      DTTSW8P64002.us.oneilsoft.com
    Description:
    Windows Mobile-based device failed to connect due to communication (0x80072745) failure (see data for failure code).
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="RapiMgr" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">8</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-12-12T16:45:29.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>125580</EventRecordID>
        <Computer>DTTSW8P64002.us.oneilsoft.com</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>communication (0x80072745)</Data>
      </EventData>
    < /Event>

Friday, December 12, 2014 5:20 PM
  • Hi dreisman1,

As far as I understand, Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) provides the driver. I have reinstalled WMDC many times. When WMDC is not installed, no connection can be made with the Host.

The driver is provided by the operation system .Please try to uninstall the driver, disconnect, wait for 15 seconds and then reconnect your device ? Rebooting may be needed here .Someone have proved it is a solution. If there is a antivirus software ,please turn them off temporarily to have a check .

Here is link may be helpful. (Though the link is mainly about the  Vista  System or the Windows Server 2008,the information in it will be useful as a reference.)

Windows Mobile Device Center - Connection Overview

http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/wmdc/connectoverview.htm

NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

If the issue persists, try to connect via Bluetooth if it is possible.

Best regards

Monday, December 15, 2014 12:18 PM
  • Thank you for trying, but that didn't help.  Bluetooth is not an option because I have a Windows program that needs to install files on the device, for testing purposes.  I also need a USB connection, instead of an RNDIS connection, for USB Pass-through from the Hyper-V Host to Guest.

Thank you for the troubleshooting link.  Using the Unlocker, I totally uninstalled the Windows Mobile Device Center and deleted the files, rebooted, and reinstalled.

I think that the problem is occurring at the Operating System Level, or might even be in the USB Pass-through.  Windows Mobile Device Center is connecting on the Host; and, on the Host, when Device Manager views Devices by connection, the Portable Device is listed under the UMBus Enumerator.  After attempting to connect the device to the Guest, on the Guest, this connection is not listed.  Also, on the Guest, the Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator will not connect.  It shows a Code 45.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 4:31 PM
  • @dreisman1 - I just gave you lots of upvotes. Each time you wrote you gave helpful or relevant data that I was able to follow along with.

I am on a new job. Unlike you, I am developing on a new Windows 10 PC that has USB 3.0 ports. I have a fresh copy of Visual Studio 2008 Professional that was installed a few days ago.

My assignment is to write a small, simple program for a Windows CE device.

The program is written, and is ready to deploy to start testing on the device.

However, I also cannot get the Windows 10 operating system to recognize the device through Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC).

When I plug in the device, WMDC pops up for a small moment while the driver is being installed (or loaded on subsequent attempts), and then it is just gone.

I see you last posted on here almost a year ago.

Do you mind if I ask what you ultimately did? Did you get this to work or just give up?

I may have to load Windows XP onto a PC and use that.

~Joe

Avoid Sears Home Improvement

Friday, November 13, 2015 8:20 PM
  • Hello Joe,

It sounds like you are close, if the Operating System is giving you a response.  I couldn't even get a response in my environment.

I have not tried this with Windows 10.  For me, I gave up.  It is not possible to redirect USB from a Windows Server 2012 Guest on a Windows 8.1 Professional Host.

Sorry,

Dan

Friday, November 13, 2015 11:58 PM