Win Explorer crashes after right-clicking on USB key drive letter RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, does anyone know why Windows Explorer keeps crashing when I right-click on the USB drive letter in Windows 7? I used to be able to do this in Windows Vista: right-clicking gave me an option to run  a Norton AV scan on a USB key after I plug it in, so I can scan it before I access any files on the USB drive/key. After it crashes , system asks me to search for solution on-line, that's never there anyway.

Ahlee54
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 7:57 AM

Answers

• Ahlee54,

We will need to know a bit more before we can help much.
    1. What version of Norton are you running?
    2. What are you computer specs?
    3. Which version of Windows 7 are you using?

I cannot duplicate your problem on my computer, so there is something specific to yours. Possibly a USB driver or chipset driver issue...
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:05 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Ahlee54,

We will need to know a bit more before we can help much.
    1. What version of Norton are you running?
    2. What are you computer specs?
    3. Which version of Windows 7 are you using?

I cannot duplicate your problem on my computer, so there is something specific to yours. Possibly a USB driver or chipset driver issue...
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:05 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

It seems a program which add entry on right click menu has software conflict problem with Windows 7. Could you please check it?

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 7:14 AM
  • Hi, I am using the Evaluation copy Build 7100 and I have Norton 360 2008 running on a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual-Core processor 5000+. Right clicking crashes Windows Explorer whether I take the option to scan for viruses or not. Whenever i right-click, Explorer crashes.
    Hope this is helpful

Thanks, Ahlee54.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 11:26 AM
  • Ahlee54,

Norton 360 is the most likely culprit. If you go to their site, they have a beta version (3.5) that they are testing with Windows 7.
    Or, you can choose one of these other programs that are approved for Windows 7.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 12:01 PM
    Answerer