none
Project Server 2013 - Manage Views - Descriptions? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Forum,

I'm currently getting to grips with how views, groups and categories are managed from a security perspective.

When it comes to the in-built / default views in Project Server 2013 - is there a definition of what each view does and the various fields?

Some of the fields (e.g. Project Name) are self explanatory but others are not so clear - and perhaps a link to the project fields might help to clarify what they mean.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Mark

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:34 PM

Answers

• Mark,

If you are using Project Server security mode, the categories to which a view belongs controls the data presented. If the view belongs to multiple categories, the datasets are joined.

I've seen too many admins add every view to every category and wonder why they always saw everything.

In a nutshell,

• Groups control what actions you can do to the data you see.
    • Categories provide the data you can see.
    • Views show you the data from the categories.

Many of the views are there because someone thought they needed to demo some capability, IMO. Many of my engagements are spent narrowing down the list of views to a select few. I'd drive it from the perspective of what conversation am I trying to support and what data do I need to support it. I had one client who used the questions as view names.

Feel free to post more questions.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | http://www.tumbleroad.com | @TumbleRoad | Take Our Project Administrator Survey

• Marked as answer by MarkS_LE Tuesday, January 27, 2015 8:36 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 10:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

Please see the video mentioned in the link, Video will help you to understand project server security categories groups and view.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Video-series-How-security-permissions-work-in-Project-Server-a19fb429-4f8f-4aa1-a186-8a33650c9801

In manage view you will see some predefined field as such no explanation is available but you can create project with some task do the baseline and go through one by one view and try to understand these are pretty simple filed. for earned value like spi cpi just Google the earned value for project server you will get many links.

kirtesh

• Edited by Kirteshtiw Tuesday, January 20, 2015 3:04 PM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:57 PM
  • Mark,

The link below is a reference for Project 2010 fields, but could be useful as it covers some of the server fields as well.

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Available-fields-reference-46ae0858-8a47-4efb-b566-92d475803d39

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 3:45 PM
  • Mark,

If you are using Project Server security mode, the categories to which a view belongs controls the data presented. If the view belongs to multiple categories, the datasets are joined.

I've seen too many admins add every view to every category and wonder why they always saw everything.

In a nutshell,

• Groups control what actions you can do to the data you see.
    • Categories provide the data you can see.
    • Views show you the data from the categories.

Many of the views are there because someone thought they needed to demo some capability, IMO. Many of my engagements are spent narrowing down the list of views to a select few. I'd drive it from the perspective of what conversation am I trying to support and what data do I need to support it. I had one client who used the questions as view names.

Feel free to post more questions.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | http://www.tumbleroad.com | @TumbleRoad | Take Our Project Administrator Survey

• Marked as answer by MarkS_LE Tuesday, January 27, 2015 8:36 AM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 10:25 PM