none
Search Not Working!

Question

• Hi,

I've scanned the PST for errors about 10 times (finds errors everytime apparently)....rebuilt the index 10 times......checked Outlook for repairs....still shows 'no results' when searching for emails!

Any other suggestions please?

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Danny,

What's you detailed Outlook version? Please click File > Account > About Outlook to collect the detailed version number.

In Outlook, click File > Options > Search > Indexing Options, make sure Microsoft Outlook is listed under Included Locations. Also click Advanced, under Troubleshooting, click Rebuild to rebuild search Indexing. Restart Outlook to confirm if the mail search works or not.

Additionally, please try to start Outlook in safe mode for further test: Press Win+R to open Run in Windows, type Outlook /safe, press Enter.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:58 AM
  • I have same problem. Outlook 2016 version 1702 Build 7870.2024.

When using /safe, search works but it's slow...basically it does not use index for search.

However in my case my users have OST for Exchange Online and search is working fine. But they also have old e-mails in .PST where search does not work.

When trying to recreate index it finishes creating index pretty quickly.

I will try this solution, maybe it will help:

https://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/75889-search-index-broken-rebuilding-wont-help.html#post862651

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 8:24 AM
  • Just to inform...solution from sevenforums did not solve problem.
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 9:08 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using Outlook 7830.1013.

Outlook is included in the Included Locations.

I've rebuilt the Index several times already & restarted Outlook with no search results. Unfortunately, this is the first time I've ever had to rebuild a search index...my PST is about 4GB & the search index rebuilds in about 5-6 minutes (I'm guessing that's very quick).

Search works in safe mode but obviously a lot slower.

Thank you.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 9:56 AM
  • Hi Danny,

Please install the latest updates which released on March 27, 2017. It has fixed the issue where the user can't search PST files.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/mt465751

In Outlook 2016, click File > Account > Update Options > Update Now.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by OttIT Tuesday, March 28, 2017 4:30 PM
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 6:00 AM
  • Hello,

Might be your search option is working slow due to the large PST files. So, you try to compress or reduce the size of PST files by the help of this article. 

https://ms-outlook-tools.quora.com/How-To-Reduce-Outlook-PST-File-Size

Thanks & Regards

Clark Kent

True some of my users have large PST's like 40GB. But one user has 8GB and still it does search even after indexing is "complete". 
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 6:02 AM