Unreliable Insertion Point in Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Has anybody ever had this experience with Word 2010?

I'm typing away in the middle of a document, and I move the mouse to change the insertion point.  I type a character, and lo and behold, the words shift around and the character appears in some place other than where I put it.

Or, in much the same way, I double click to select a word I had previously typed, and lo and behold, the selection turns out to be something other than what I double clicked on, encompassing only part of the word I had clicked on and extending to part of another word.

If I scroll up or down so that the screen redraws, or minimize and restore the window, I can then select text reliably.  But this shouldn't be happening.

I am using Office 2010 with Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, Times New Roman font and automatic hyphenation on.

I recall having a similar problem on and off a few years ago, maybe with Office 2003, but it seemed absent from Office 2007.  Now it's back with a vengeance.

Thoughts?

UPDATE 10/2/2010 10:30 AM Eastern

It just happened again!  I was typing a paragraph in the middle of a ten page document.  I selected some text with the mouse, pressed delete, and the text that was deleted was not what I had selected.  The deletion included part of a word that I had not selected at all and wanted to keep. 

This is infuriating!  Does anybody know what's going on? 

By the way, there were no hyphens in this particular paragraph.  I am, however using justification (both edges of the text flush with the margin).  The paragraph contains no tabs or odd characters.

UPDATE 10/2/2010 11:05 AM Eastern

I reproduced the problem again, this time in a line in which a hyphen was automatically inserted. 

The problem does not occur if I type the same sentence with the justification turned off (but with hyphenation still on). Nor does it occur with hyphenation turned off (but justification still on).  Maybe its an interaction between the justification and hyphenation.

This is a repeatable error.  I can reproduce it over and over again, typing the same line in the same file, resulting in the same error.  I can tell when it's going to happen because there is something squirrelly about the way the flashing cursor appears in the text when I click on it.  It looks like its flashing on top of a letter rather than between letters.

Importantly, I am not able to reproduce the problem with the same file opened in Office 2007 on another machine running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, confirming my earlier impression that this is a bug in Office 2010 that was not present in Office 2007.

LF

• Moved by Jennifer Zhan Wednesday, November 3, 2010 5:35 AM (From:Office IT Pro General Discussions)
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 11:58 AM

Answers

• Is it all documents, or just one particular document?

Do you have a printer installed?

You would get better exposure to the problem if you posted to

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wordcreate/threads

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Len Flier" wrote in message news:d36675b3-2bbc-4fb1-8d27-a8295d6a0a9b@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Thanks for the input, Doug.

I can clarify that I'm working on a PC with a separate mouse.

I can also report that when I use the arrow keys to go back and select text that I have just typed, the word wrap redraws as the cursor moves, suggesting that there is a disconnect between the rendering of the words on the display as they are typed, and the way they are rendered internally.

LF

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 8:42 PM

All replies

• It sounds similar to problems often reported by people using a laptop with an over-sensitive touchpad mouse thing.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,

"Len Flier" wrote in message news:2675ad79-b6ee-4e71-bf55-d07918e7b42e@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Has anybody ever had this experience with Word 2010?

I'm typing away in the middle of a document, and I move the mouse to change the insertion point.  I type a character, and lo and behold, the words shift around and the character appears in some place other than where I put it.

Or, in much the same way, I double click to select a word I had previously typed, and lo and behold, the selection turns out to be something other than what I double clicked on, encompassing only part of the word I had clicked on and extending to part of another word.

If I scroll up or down so that the screen redraws, or minimize and restore the window, I can then select text reliably.  But this shouldn't be happening.

I am using Office 2010 with Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, Times New Roman font and automatic hyphenation on.

I recall having a similar problem on and off a few years ago, maybe with Office 2003, but it seemed absent from Office 2007.  Now it's back with a vengeance.

Thoughts?

UPDATE 10/2/2010 10:30 AM Eastern

It just happened again!  I was typing a paragraph in the middle of a ten page document.  I selected some text with the mouse, pressed delete, and the text that was deleted was not what I had selected.  The deletion included part of a word that I had not selected at all and wanted to keep.

This is infuriating!  Does anybody know what's going on?

By the way, there were no hyphens in this particular paragraph.  I am, however using justification (both edges of the text flush with the margin).  The paragraph contains no tabs or odd characters.

UPDATE 10/2/2010 11:05 AM Eastern

I reproduced the problem again, this time in a line in which a hyphen was automatically inserted.

The problem does not occur if I type the same sentence with the justification turned off (but with hyphenation still on). Nor does it occur with hyphenation turned off (but justification still on).  Maybe its an interaction between the justification and hyphenation.

This is a repeatable error.  I can reproduce it over and over again, typing the same line in the same file, resulting in the same error.  I can tell when it's going to happen because there is something squirrelly about the way the flashing cursor appears in the text when I click on it.  It looks like its flashing on top of a letter rather than between letters.

Importantly, I am not able to reproduce the problem with the same file opened in Office 2007 on another machine running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, confirming my earlier impression that this is a bug in Office 2010 that was not present in Office 2007.LF

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 6:46 AM
  • Thanks for the input, Doug.

I can also report that when I use the arrow keys to go back and select text that I have just typed, the word wrap redraws as the cursor moves, suggesting that there is a disconnect between the rendering of the words on the display as they are typed, and the way they are rendered internally.

LF

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 11:45 AM
  • Is it all documents, or just one particular document?

Do you have a printer installed?

You would get better exposure to the problem if you posted to

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wordcreate/threads

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,

"Len Flier" wrote in message news:d36675b3-2bbc-4fb1-8d27-a8295d6a0a9b@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Thanks for the input, Doug.

LF

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 8:42 PM
  • Hello Lin,

I understand you are experience the insertion point moving randomly in Word 2010 on a desktop (and not a laptop) machine.

This might be related to the following:

a. Where is the cursor randomly moving?  In bullets/numbering with a tab present? Within a paragraph with just text and no tables, graphics, etc.?

b. Are you on Windows 7?  This could be related to Aero theme - try using Windows 7 Basic

c. Video/Printer/Keyboard/Mouse driver need updating

d. Are you using any Blue Tooth devices?

e. What is the Mouse pointer set to in the Control Panel?

f.  Are you in an RDP session?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks!
    Adrian
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:42 PM
  • Thank you Adrian for your reply.  In response to your questions:

1. The cursor shifts when I click in a paragraph I just typed.  No tables, no graphics, no list: just text. 
    2. I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate.  It makes no difference if I shift from Aero to Basic
    3. The problem occurs with two different printer drivers: HP and Canon.  Both are current.
    4. No Bluetooth devices installed
    5. The mouse pointer is at its default setting
    6. No RDP, I'm working straight on the machine.

Once again, the problem only occurs when I use automatic hyphenation and full justification.  I can turn that off, of course, but that's a workaround.  This looks like a bug to me.

LF

• Proposed as answer by momabear22 Monday, August 22, 2011 6:09 PM
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 3:03 AM