none
Tape Drive is always in use... RRS feed

• Question

• Whe I was running DPM 2010 semi-successfully, it would work fine and backup to tape then all of a sudden stop working and the tape drive seems like it's stuck on "In Use". I have seen some posts about this but the "resolutions" have not worked for me...

Anyone else have this issue?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:22 PM

Answers

• NOTE: Make a backup of the DPMDB Sql database before proceeding using the following command:

DPMBACKUP -db

(The database will be saved in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\Database Backups folder.

1) Cancel any and all tape jobs - if one of the jobs is a tape cleaning job - that cannot be canceled in the DPM GUI, so simple stop - restart the DPM service.
    2) Open SQL Enterprise manager and connect to the Server_name\MSDPM2010 instance.
    3) Under DATABASES - expand out the DPMDB entry and then expand the TABLES so you have a list of SQL tables
    4) Check the following tables and Column entries. You need to righ-click the table, then choose "open table " option to view the column values.

SQL_TABLE_NAME     COLUMN_HEADING         DESIRED     value meaning
    ===============  =================  ========  ============
    dbo-tbl_MM_TapeDrive  DriveStatus              0                0=none 1=Need scleaning 2=Needs Servicing

dbo.tbl_MM_Glogal_Drive ReservationLevel      0                0=none 1 or 2 = reserved by some task.

dbo.tbl_MM_Drive OperationOccuring             0                0=none >0=operation in progress

5) After changing any of these settings, click on the "save all" icon - the blue icon that looks like three floppy disks in the toolbar.
    6) Exit the DPM console and re-start it - then kick off a tape job and see if the tape drive works again.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 12:24 AM