none
Sub Project Issues when adding to a Master Project RRS feed

• Question

• I am hoping someone can assist me with this issue. MS could not seem to answer after troubleshooting. I am running MS Project Pro (Online via Desktop client). However the issue also appears in MS Project 2010. I have a Master Project Template. Simple columns, indicators, task mode, % Complete, Task Name, Duration, Start Date, End Date, Predecessors, Successors, and Critical.

When ever I add a sub project, (fields laid out exactly the same), a line is added to the top of the project. This becomes outline level 1 and the rest of the project is indented. The new line will either be the File Name of the project, or more frequently Sub-studies timelines.

Has anyone seen this issue? I have been working on this for over a week and the problem is becoming critical.

Monday, March 12, 2018 1:20 PM

Answers

• Aphstra,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. If I answered your question please consider marking my response as the answer.

John

• Marked as answer by Aphstra Friday, March 23, 2018 12:28 PM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 7:06 PM

All replies

• Aphstra,

I'm curious as to who you contacted at Microsoft to help "troubleshoot" because this is normal behavior for a dynamic master (i.e. no "troupble" to troubleshoot).

When you create a dynamic master the subprojects are not actually part of the master, rather the master only contains pointers to each subproject file. This is evidenced by the fact that the IDs in a dynamic master are not continuous but repeat for each subproject. As each subproject is inserted a separate summary line representing that subproject is created in the master and as a result the hierarchy of the subprojuect itself is indented under that master summary line.

You can also create a static master. To do that, uncheck the "link to project" option in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window. That will create a separate single file made up of all subprojects. As the name implies a static master is a snapshot in time of all the subprojects and there is no dynamic link between that static master and subprojects so to update you need to create a new static master.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, March 12, 2018 2:27 PM
  • John,

Thanks for the quick response. It would not be a problem if the separate summary line was for example the name of the project. However, having a new summary that just says Sub-studies Timelines and there are 4 or 5 sub projects, this does confuse the master quite a bit.

Monday, March 12, 2018 2:52 PM
  • Aphstra,

The name shown as the summary line for each subproject is the same name you will see for the subproject Project Summary Task (i.e. ID 0). Change the Project Summary Task name in each subproject and you should be all set.

John

Monday, March 12, 2018 4:02 PM
  • John, you are brilliant. Thanks so much, that took care of the issue.

Regards

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 5:06 PM
  • Aphstra,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. If I answered your question please consider marking my response as the answer.

John

• Marked as answer by Aphstra Friday, March 23, 2018 12:28 PM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 7:06 PM