Data Entry Cells in Excel RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I am following the instructions on http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/performancepoint/HA102474311033.aspx (and a few hundreds of other links scattered around msdn and rest of internet)  for creating a form template that can be used for writing the user submitted data into a PerformancePoint model.

1. For this I have created a Generic Model that has the Business Process dimension (member used: INPUT) and the TimeDataView dimension (member used: PERIODIC) with two other simple dimenensions.

2. Created the Security hierarchy and Configured the model for enabling write back.

3. Created a form that uses this model and published it

4. Created a cycle and assigned the form to it (and assigned it to myself)

Now when I fire up excel and go to the Assignment tab of the PerformacePoint Add-In, I can see the assignment, and I can click on the Assignment name to open the form as well, but when I try to change any value in the form, I get an error saying,

"The cell is read only. You can only modify data in data entry cells"

Now the big list of questions:

1. First and foremost where am I going wrong?

2. Is TimeDataView dimension required for enabling the write back into the cube (now thats a stupid qn, but you can see how confused I am)

3. Do Generic Models support write back?

- Manesh

Friday, August 8, 2008 6:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Ohk.. Now I am able to mark the data entry cells, and its not throwing any errors while modifying the values, but when I try to submit, I am getting the following error.

"The format for the change list in the assignment is not valid. This error prevents you from opening or refreshing this assignment."

Any idea how to get around this?

Friday, August 8, 2008 7:10 AM
  • Ohk.. I have moved on further and am stuck on another error(??), the one above was caused by an out dated local cache. I cleared the cache to get rid of the error.

Now when I submit the assignment from excel it is showing me that the Status is Pending for the Submit Action. When I went back into the PBM and checked the status there, it is showing the status In progress. How can I change the status to Submitted, Which is the step that I have missed out on?

Friday, August 8, 2008 8:40 AM
  • Hi Manesh,

It is possible to change the status from Available Actions.  

Please take a look into Step 7 & 8 in the link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb794647(TechNet.10).aspx see it helps.   

This thread http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3684605&SiteID=17 may assist you

Thank you,

Sundar - MSFT

Friday, August 8, 2008 2:33 PM
  • Hi Sundar,

No there is no data corruption in the model, (i think the only place that has data corruption is my brain which is lacking a few foreign key mappings when it comes to performancepoint know-how), Besides this is a dummy model that I created.

Just wanted to clarify if there are any other steps to do, other than Submitting the data from the Excel for the changes to reflect on the model, with no reviews enabled. Currently I am getting the status as 'Pending'. Why is the status shown as 'Pending' and not Submitted or Finished?

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:42 AM
  • Hi Manesh,

Planning Process Service needs to process the workflow items.  If there is an issue with Planning Process Service the status remains pending.   Can you please confirm whether Planning Process Service User is DBO of the Application database? 

Thank you,

Sundar - MSFT

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:13 PM
  • Sundar, Wow!!! Right diagnostics, the Planning service had actually broken down, (but it beats me how we were still able to connect to it through the Modeler and Excel.) I was able to recover the database using the process outlined in the link that you sent. Thanks so much J

Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:02 PM