none
[Buffer] Critical Chain in MS Project Online RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning, everyone.

I am looking for a way to insert Buffer into projects.

I managed to do it through MS Project Pro, creating Link relations between:

- Last task finish date & Buffer initial Date

- End of project date (Mark) & Buffer final Date

But when I publish it online, all relations are lost and the buffer doesn't work anymore ("Final Review" get's pushed forward, then the "Fim do Projeto" will also be rescheduled

If someone could help me with this, that'd be great!

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 1:08 PM

All replies

• Caio -

Did you actually use the Link Tasks functionality in Microsoft Project?  You would need to set a Finish-to-Start dependency between the last task, the buffer task, and the final milestone.  All tasks should be Auto Scheduled, not Manually Scheduled.  Then after publishing, Microsoft Project would retain all of the link information.  As your project slips, you would simply need to reduce the Duration of the buffer task until it has been totally consumed.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 3:14 PM
  • As my project slips, I would have to manually reduce the duration of the buffer task?

I want to set it be updated automatic because I am conecting the Project Online with Power BI and if the buffer needs to be manually updated, the user would have to open the Project Online just to update the duration of the buffer task.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 4:36 PM
  • Caio --

Yes, you would have to manually reduce the Duration of the buffer task if the project slips.  Suppose that your buffer task has a Duration of 10 days.  Your project has now slipped by 3 days.  You would need to reduce the buffer Duration to 7 days so that it can "absorb" the project slippage.

I do not understand why it is a problem for the PM to open the project and reduce the buffer Duration.  Is the PM actually managing the project or not?  In theory, he/she should be opening every week after approving task updates from team members.  After analyzing variance, that is when the PM should adjust the buffer Duration value, if needed.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 5:44 PM
  • Do you have a template that we could use to understand how to create this? Im also looking for Critical Chain. thank you.
    Thursday, March 7, 2019 4:25 AM
  • Juan --

Thanks for asking.  No, I do not have a template, and I suspect no one else has a template either.  To add a buffer task, build your project schedule, and make sure you set task dependencies on EVERY task and milestone task in the schedule.  After the final task, add your buffer task and link it to the final task with an FS dependency.  After the buffer task, add a milestone named Project Complete and link it to the buffer task with an FS dependency.

Your buffer task now provides you with time left for things to go wrong in the project.  If the schedule slips by three days, this means you have eaten up three days of the buffer, so you will need to shorten its Duration by 3 days.  When the buffer Duration hits 0 days, you have run out of time for things to go wrong.

Just a few extra thoughts.  If any of my replies have answered your question, would you please mark one of the replies as the answer?  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, March 7, 2019 4:17 PM