Asset Inventory - Assistance with Powershell Script RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I have come across a great Powershell script from a few years back, however need assistance with also capturing the PC's Serial Number and Logged-In User.

Would anyone be able  show me where/how i can add it in as I'm totally new to Powershell and have a few days to come up with the results, otherwise i need to run around with a handheld scanner and manually log from each machine and monitors barcodes.

Would anyone be able to assist please, or even better, if anyone is in the Sydney, NSW, AUS area, i would be willing to pay for Tutorial Lessons to help me learn faster in such a short time frame.

Thanks,

--------

<# .SYNOPSIS Generate a report in multiple formats (if requested) of monitors that are connected to computers. .DESCRIPTION This script will take a list of computers (from a txt file or from AD) and will query each computer through WMI, asking what the serial number and manufacturer is. It can then generate multiple types of reports, CSV, HTML, or e-mail the HTML as the body of the message. .PARAMETER CSVReport Switch, used to define wether you want a CSV report generated or not. .PARAMETER CSVOutputFile The location where you want the CSV report to be stored, if the CSVReport switch is true. .PARAMETER HTMLReport Switch, used to define wether you want an HTML report generated or not. .PARAMETER HTMLOutputFile The location where you want the HTML report to be stored, if the HTMLReport switch is true. .PARAMETER EmailReportAsHTML Switch, used to indicate weather you want to send the report via e-mail with the body formatted as HTML. .PARAMTER LinkToComputer Switch, this is a work in progress (I am figuring out the API's to call to make this work), essentially it will be used in conjunction with the ImportToSpiceworks switch and it will define wether you want to link the monitors found, to the computers that they were found to be connected to. .PARAMETER FromAD Switch, used to define wether you want to use AD to define the array or computers to scan if monitors are connected to them or not. .PARAMTER FromFile Switch, used to define wether you want to use a txt file to define the array list of computers to be scanned if there is a monitor connected or not. .PARAMETER FromFileLocation The location where the txt file is located that has the list of computers to be scanned for monitors attached. This file should have 1 computer name of each new row. .PARAMETER Test Switch, this switch is used to test the functionality of the script, against the localhost only. .EXAMPLE Get-AttachedMoritorInventory.ps1 -FromFile -FromFileLocation "C:\Test\Servers.txt" -HTMLReport -HTMLOutputFile "C:\Test\AttachedMonitors.html" .EXAMPLE Get-AttachedMoritorInventory.ps1 -FromAD -CSVReport -CSVOutputFile "C:\Test\AttachedMonitors.csv" .EXAMPLE Get-AttachedMoritorInventory.ps1 -FromAD -EmailReportAsHTML .NOTES Author: Matt Bergeron Spiceworks: Chamele0n Blog: www.chamele0n.com Changelog: 1.4 Better detection of Virtual Machines, to support Microsoft Surface tablets. 1.3 Fix bug for displaying year of manufacture 1.2 Fixed bug where it was prompting for credentials where it shouldn't have been. 1.1 Fixed bug that caused -Test parameter not to work. 1.0 Initial release .LINK http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2962-inventory-monitors-connected-to-physical-computers #> Param( [switch]$CSVReport, [string]$CSVOutputFile = "C:\Test\AttachedMonitors.csv", [switch]$HTMLReport = $true, [string]$HTMLOutputFile = "C:\Test\AttachedMonitors.htm", [switch]$EmailReportAsHTML, [switch]$FromAD, [switch]$FromFile, [string]$FromFileLocation = "C:\Test\Servers.txt", [switch]$Test ) ### SMTP Mail Settings $SMTPProperties = @{ To = "ToUser@domain.com" From = "FromUser@Domain.com" Subject = "Monitor Inventory" SMTPServer = "mail.domain.com" } $Results = @() $Count = 0 if ($FromAD) { ### Attempts to Import ActiveDirectory Module. Produces error if fails. Try { Import-Module ActiveDirectory -ErrorAction Stop } Catch { Write-Host "Unable to load Active Directory module, is RSAT installed?"; Break } } ### HTML Header $Header = @" <center><style>TABLE {border-width: 1px;border-style: solid;border-color: black;border-collapse: collapse;margin-left: auto;margin-right: auto;} TH {border-width: 1px;padding: 3px;border-style: solid;border-color: black;background-color: #808080;} TD {border-width: 1px;padding: 3px;border-style: solid;border-color: black;} .odd { background-color:#ffffff; } .even { background-color:#dddddd; } </style> </center><title>Attached Monitor Inventory Report </title> "@ Function ConvertTo-Char ($Array) { $Output = "" ForEach($char in $Array) { $Output += [char]$char -join "" } return $Output } Function Detect-VirtualMachine { Param ( [string]$ComputerName ) $VMModels = @("Virtual Machine","VMware Virtual Platform","Xen","VirtualBox") $CheckPhysicalOrVMQuery = Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $ComputerName -Query "Select * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem" -Namespace "root\CIMV2" -ErrorAction Stop if ($VMModels -contains $CheckPhysicalOrVMQuery.Model) { $IsVM = $True } Else { $IsVM = $False } Return $IsVM } Function Set-AlternatingRows { <# .SYNOPSIS Simple function to alternate the row colors in an HTML table .DESCRIPTION This function accepts pipeline input from ConvertTo-HTML or any string with HTML in it. It will then search for and replace it with . With the combination of CSS it can set alternating colors on table rows. CSS requirements: .odd { background-color:#ffffff; } .even { background-color:#dddddd; } Classnames can be anything and are configurable when executing the function. Colors can, of course, be set to your preference. This function does not add CSS to your report, so you must provide the style sheet, typically part of the ConvertTo-HTML cmdlet using the -Head parameter. .PARAMETER Line String containing the HTML line, typically piped in through the pipeline. .PARAMETER CSSEvenClass Define which CSS class is your "even" row and color. .PARAMETER CSSOddClass Define which CSS class is your "odd" row and color. .EXAMPLE $Report | ConvertTo-HTML -Head $Header | Set-AlternateRows -CSSEvenClass even -CSSOddClass odd | Out-File HTMLReport.html $Header can be defined with a here-string as: $Header = @" <style>TABLE {border-width: 1px;border-style: solid;border-color: black;border-collapse: collapse;} TH {border-width: 1px;padding: 3px;border-style: solid;border-color: black;background-color: #6495ED;} TD {border-width: 1px;padding: 3px;border-style: solid;border-color: black;} .odd { background-color:#ffffff; } .even { background-color:#dddddd; } </style> "@ This will produce a table with alternating white and grey rows. Custom CSS is defined in the $Header string and included with the table thanks to the -Head parameter in ConvertTo-HTML. .NOTES Author: Martin Pugh Twitter: @thesurlyadm1n Spiceworks: Martin9700 Blog: www.thesurlyadmin.com Changelog: 1.0 Initial function release .LINK http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/1745-set-alternatingrows-function-modify-your-html-table-to-have-alternating-row-colors #> [CmdletBinding()] Param( [Parameter(Mandatory=$True,ValueFromPipeline=$True)] [string]$Line, [Parameter(Mandatory=$True)] [string]$CSSEvenClass, [Parameter(Mandatory=$True)] [string]$CSSOddClass ) Begin { $ClassName = $CSSEvenClass } Process { If ($Line.Contains("")) { $Line = $Line.Replace("","") If ($ClassName -eq $CSSEvenClass) { $ClassName = $CSSOddClass } Else { $ClassName = $CSSEvenClass } } Return $Line } }# End Set-AlternatingRows Function if ($FromAD){ $Computers = Get-ADComputer -Filter * -Properties Name } if ($FromFile){ $Computers = Get-Content $FromFileLocation } ForEach ($Computer in $Computers) { $progress = @{ Activity = "Querying Connected Monitors on $ComputerName" Status = "$Count of $($Computers.Count) completed" PercentComplete = $Count / $($Computers.Count) * 100 Id = 0 } Write-Progress @progress $Count++ if ($FromAD) { $ComputerName = $Computer.DNSHostName } ElseIf ($FromFile) { $ComputerName = $Computer } ElseIf ($Test) { Write-Host "Test Mode Enabled" -ForegroundColor Yellow $ComputerName = $Env:ComputerName } Try { if (-not ($Test)) { $IsPhysicalMachine = Detect-VirtualMachine -ComputerName $ComputerName } Else { $IsPhysicalMachine = Detect-VirtualMachine -ComputerName "localhost" } } Catch { if (-not ($Test)) { Write-Host "ComputerName: $($ComputerName), caught an error checking if the computer was physical or virtual: $($Error[0])" -ForegroundColor Red -BackgroundColor Black } Else { Write-Host "ComputerName: $($ComputerName), caught an error checking if the computer was physical or virtual: $($Error[0])" -ForegroundColor Red -BackgroundColor Black } $Results += New-Object PSObject -Property @{ ComputerName = $ComputerName Active = "N/A" Manufacturer = "N/A" UserFriendlyName = "N/A" SerialNumber = "N/A" WeekOfManufacture = "N/A" YearOfManufacture = "N/A" Status = "2 - Warning" Message = "There was a problem checking if the computer was physical or virtual: $($Error[0])" } Continue } If ($IsPhysicalMachine -eq $false) { Try { if (-not ($Test)) { $Query = Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $ComputerName -Query "Select * FROM WMIMonitorID" -Namespace root\wmi -ErrorAction Stop } Else { $Query = Get-WmiObject -Query "Select * FROM WMIMonitorID" -Namespace root\wmi -ErrorAction Stop } ForEach ($Monitor in $Query) { $Results += New-Object PSObject -Property @{ ComputerName = $ComputerName Active = $Monitor.Active Manufacturer = ConvertTo-Char($Monitor.ManufacturerName) UserFriendlyName = ConvertTo-Char($Monitor.userfriendlyname) SerialNumber = ConvertTo-Char($Monitor.serialnumberid) WeekOfManufacture = $Monitor.WeekOfManufacture YearOfManufacture = $Monitor.YearOfManufacture Status = "0 - OK" Message = "N/A" } } Continue } Catch { $Results += New-Object PSObject -Property @{ ComputerName = $ComputerName Active = "N/A" Manufacturer = "N/A" UserFriendlyName = "N/A" SerialNumber = "N/A" WeekOfManufacture = "N/A" YearOfManufacture = "N/A" Status = "1 - Error" Message = "Error: $($Error[0])" } } } Else { Write-Host "ComputerName: $($ComputerName) was a virtual machine. Skipping monitor inventory." -ForegroundColor Yellow $Results += New-Object PSObject -Property @{ ComputerName = $ComputerName Active = $false Manufacturer = "N/A" UserFriendlyName = "N/A" SerialNumber = "N/A" WeekOfManufacture = "N/A" YearOfManufacture = "N/A" Status = "N/A - Informational" Message = "Virtual Machine, skipped monitor inventory." } } } ### Debugging to make sure there are results. #Write-Host "Results Count: $($Results.count)" If ($Results.count -gt 0) { $Results = $Results | Select ComputerName,Active,Manufacturer,UserFriendlyName,SerialNumber,WeekOfManufacture,YearOfManufacture,Status,Message if ($CSVReport) { $Results | Sort Status,ComputerName | Export-CSV -Path $CSVOutputFile -NoTypeInformation } if ($HTMLReport) { $Results | Sort Status,ComputerName | ConvertTo-HTML -Head $Header | Out-File $HTMLOutputFile } if ($EmailReportAsHTML) { $Body = $Results | Sort Status,ComputerName | ConvertTo-HTML -Head $Header | Out-String Send-MailMessage @SMTPProperties -Body $Body -BodyAsHTML } } Else { Write-Output "There were 0 results in the `$Results array." }
    • Edited by Private_IT_Support Friday, October 20, 2017 9:29 PM Adding extra question to post.
    Friday, October 20, 2017 9:27 PM

All replies

• Please fix your post.  Please post correctly using the code posting tool <> on the edit bar.

Note that we won't fix old code that yoou have found on the Internet.

Please read this first: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en-US/c47b1bc2-f7fd-4d2e-8ff2-e8a81ce090d4/this-forum-is-for-scripting-questions-rather-than-script-requests?forum=ITCG

Also find scripts here: http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/

Learn PowerShell: https://mva.microsoft.com/en-us/training-courses/getting-started-with-microsoft-powershell-8276

Script requests: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/site/requests

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, October 20, 2017 9:49 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry, been flat out with work and didnt get to respond sooner,

I have come up with another alternative though puzzled why its only showing the first monitor and not the actual correct details, instead i just get digits for the serial numbers etc.

Any ideas, suggestions... I'f i can get this working to show the correct details i wont need to worry about the over complicated example i found.

Thanks,

$ArrComputers = gc C:\scripts\MachineList.txt
    #$ArrComputers = gc .\computernames.txt
    $OutputLog = "C:\scripts\Machine_MainLog.txt" # Main log
    $NotRespondingLog = "C:\scripts\Machine_NoResponse_Log.txt" # Logging "unqueried" hosts

$ErrorActionPreference = "Stop" # Or add '-EA Stop' to Get-WmiObject queries
    Clear-Host

ForEach ($Computer in $ArrComputers) 
    {
        try
        {
            $computerSystem = get-wmiobject Win32_ComputerSystem -Computer $Computer
            $computerBIOS = get-wmiobject Win32_BIOS -Computer $Computer
            $LoggedOnUser = $ComputerSystem.UserName
            $Version = Get-WmiObject -Namespace "Root\CIMv2" `
                -Query "Select * from Win32_ComputerSystemProduct" `
                -computer $computer | select -ExpandProperty version
            $MonitorInfo = gwmi WmiMonitorID -Namespace root\wmi `
                -computername $Computer `
                | Select PSComputerName, `
                    @{n="Model";e={[System.Text.Encoding]::ASCII.GetString(`
                        $_.UserFriendlyName -ne 00)}},
                    @{n="Serial Number";e={[System.Text.Encoding]::ASCII.GetString(`
                        $_.SerialNumberID -ne 00)}}     
        }
        catch
        {
            $Computer | Out-File -FilePath $NotRespondingLog -Append -Encoding UTF8
            continue
        }

$Header = "System Information for: {0}" -f $computerSystem.Name

# Outputting and logging header.
        write-host $Header -BackgroundColor DarkCyan
        $Header | Out-File -FilePath $OutputLog -Append -Encoding UTF8

$Output = (@"
    -------------------------------------------------------

Model          : {0}
    User           : {1} 
    Serial Number  : {2} 
    Version        : {3} 
    Monitor Model  : {4}
    Monitor Serial : {5}

-------------------------------------------------------

"@) -f $computerSystem.Model,$LoggedOnUser, $computerBIOS.SerialNumber, $Version, `
           $MonitorInfo.Model, $MonitorInfo."Serial Number"

# Ouputting and logging WMI data
        Write-Host $Output
        $Output | Out-File -FilePath $OutputLog -Append -Encoding UTF8
    }
    Reply Subscribe

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:44 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, you could have a try with the following scripts to get multiple computers' serial number. Hope it is helpful to you:
    $computerlist = 'server1','server2'
    Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Bios -ComputerName $computerlist | Select-Object PSComputerName,SerialNumber

For collecting information of logged on users on multiple computers, you may refer to the following PowerShell scripts:
    Get-LoggedOnUser Gathers information of logged on users on remote systems
    https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Get-LoggedOnUser-Gathers-7cbe93ea

If you need further help, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Albert Ling

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:02 AM
  • Older systems may store the serial number as an array of bytes.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:04 AM
  • Hi Albert,

Thanks for the reply, though I have over 100 machines i need to get the details for so really hoping to get it all in the one script and not have to combine results from multiple sources.

eg, i am after something where i can see all of the following in the one output report:

PC Model/LoggedIn User/ PC Serial Number, Monitor Model and Serial Number 1

PC Model/LoggedIn User/ PC Serial Number, Monitor Model and Serial Number 2

PC Model/LoggedIn User/ PC Serial Number, Monitor Model and Serial Number 3

and so on

Friday, October 27, 2017 11:35 AM
  • If you look in the Gallery you will find many scripts that do what you ask.  Also research how to build custom objects in PowerShell.  There are numerous blogs describing how to do this.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, October 27, 2017 12:02 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Albert Ling

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 6:57 AM
  • Hi Albert,

Thanks for following up,

I havent solved the issue yet,

I decided to put this on hold and manually scan while i read up more on Powershell as i am simply running out of time and not able to get all the details i need in the one report.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 11:32 AM