none
What is the difference between Submit, Checkin, Save and Commit in Project Server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I want to understand the difference between Submit, Checkin, Save and Commit in Project Server 2013. I want to understand in all aspects espcially what happens in the backend. Any good reference on this would be good enough.

Thanks in advance,

Shanila

Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:13 AM

Answers

• Hi Shanila

Let me explain you the meanings for Submit, Checkin, Save and Commit.

Submit:

This is a process used during a project lifecycle workflow where 'Submit button' ensures a project flow from one stage to another stage.

CheckIn:

This is a concept which is used to maintain the project data integrity. [No two users should be able to use the same instance of the project at same time and save their two different instances in Project Server.]

Before I explain this, you should know 'Check-Out' concept.

CheckOut:

The project can be opened in two ways, for viewing only and for editing.

If a project is opened just for viewing by a user, no worries.

But if a project is opened for editing by a user, then the project gets 'CheckOut' to that user and it will be locked for other users to edit the project till the project is 'Checked In' (Closed) by the user.

[The project can be opened for 'viewing only' at any time, no matter if it is 'Checked Out' or not]

[The project can not be opened by any other user for 'editing' till the project is Checked Out to someone else]

Save:

Once a project is opened for editing [ie The project is checked Out], make the edits in the project plan and you can 'Save' the changes done back to the project.  @@Also remember to close and CheckIn the project.

Commit:

This is a process used during a project lifecycle workflow. This event happen when a project is selected within the 'Portfolio Analysis' process, press the 'Commit button', this will allow the project to be moved to next stage in the workflow.

I hope I used the basic language to explain all this, I hope you get all the differences properly.

Manish

• Marked as answer by Shanila m Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:03 PM
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Shanila

Let me explain you the meanings for Submit, Checkin, Save and Commit.

Submit:

This is a process used during a project lifecycle workflow where 'Submit button' ensures a project flow from one stage to another stage.

CheckIn:

This is a concept which is used to maintain the project data integrity. [No two users should be able to use the same instance of the project at same time and save their two different instances in Project Server.]

Before I explain this, you should know 'Check-Out' concept.

CheckOut:

The project can be opened in two ways, for viewing only and for editing.

If a project is opened just for viewing by a user, no worries.

But if a project is opened for editing by a user, then the project gets 'CheckOut' to that user and it will be locked for other users to edit the project till the project is 'Checked In' (Closed) by the user.

[The project can be opened for 'viewing only' at any time, no matter if it is 'Checked Out' or not]

[The project can not be opened by any other user for 'editing' till the project is Checked Out to someone else]

Save:

Once a project is opened for editing [ie The project is checked Out], make the edits in the project plan and you can 'Save' the changes done back to the project.  @@Also remember to close and CheckIn the project.

Commit:

This is a process used during a project lifecycle workflow. This event happen when a project is selected within the 'Portfolio Analysis' process, press the 'Commit button', this will allow the project to be moved to next stage in the workflow.

I hope I used the basic language to explain all this, I hope you get all the differences properly.

Manish

• Marked as answer by Shanila m Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:03 PM
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:52 AM
  • Fantastic. Nice explanation Manish. Thanks a lot.
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:03 PM
  • "Submit:

This is a process used during a project lifecycle workflow where 'Submit button' ensures a project flow from one stage to another stage."

Regarding the answer above regarding "Submit". Can someone tell me if every time we hit "Submit" on the ribbon in case it is available/enabled then we expect that as part or internal processing the project server will try to "check-in" the project if it is checked-out ?

Monday, July 11, 2016 9:18 PM
  • Hi Roberson

Apologies, could not answer you before. I hope, you may have got your answers till now!!

But just to clarify, every time when you click submit, NO the workflow wont check in the project. It may happen when while creating the particular Workflow Stage, you have purposefully directed it to Check-In.

Thanks

Manish

Thursday, August 4, 2016 8:01 AM