Review Activity missing RA prefix when CR template is applied RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating a change request. 

I have a workflow that fires when certain criteria are met that applies a new template to the change request.  This template adds a review activity and a manual activity.  It appears that applying this template causes the review activity to lose it's RA prefix which in turn breaks activity approval through the Exchange connector since it's expecting the prefix.

I've seen a few other posts about this but they are all applying to 2010 from what I can tell.  Is anyone else running into this problem with 2012?  The only solution I've seen so far is editing the MP as described here.

Is this still a bug or by design?

• Edited by JayScovill Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:52 PM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Change Requests are built on the fact that you apply the template when actually creating the Change Request. So I'm not sure that this should be classified as a bug. However, to workaround the issue you can add the activity prefix in your Change template by editing the XML code.

Regards
    //Anders

Anders Asp | Lumagate | www.lumagate.com | Sweden | My blog: www.scsm.se

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 9:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Change Requests are built on the fact that you apply the template when actually creating the Change Request. So I'm not sure that this should be classified as a bug. However, to workaround the issue you can add the activity prefix in your Change template by editing the XML code.

Regards
    //Anders

Anders Asp | Lumagate | www.lumagate.com | Sweden | My blog: www.scsm.se

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 9:16 PM
  • It still doesn't seem like the correct behavior to break something so fundamental just by applying a template to a CR. 

That would mean I'd have to create a change request template for every instance of a particular type of change request if I have, for instance,  different reviewers for different Change Areas, etc, correct?  That could get very complicated.

By being able to apply a template via a workflow when certain criteria are met it allows much more flexibility.

I'll use the work around.

Thanks.

• Edited by JayScovill Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:50 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:47 PM
  • I've tried adding the lines from the thread linked above to my MP but it's still not adding the prefixes.

My code:

<Templates>
        <ObjectTemplate ID="Template.e0e2db25eb624a818e607a8665407062" TypeID="CustomCustomConvertServiceRequesttoChangeRequestMP!CustomForm_a52ca067_0e48_410d_bbe6_27917a3078ec_TypeProjection">
          <Property Path="$Context/Property[Type='CustomSystem_WorkItem_ChangeRequest_Library!System.WorkItem.ChangeRequest']/Area$">f19da0b9-23d3-4b3a-3886-6abc09a7eaed</Property>
          <Object Path="$Context/Path[Relationship='CustomSystem_WorkItem_Activity_Library!System.WorkItemContainsActivity' TypeConstraint='CustomSystem_WorkItem_Activity_Library!System.WorkItem.Activity.ReviewActivity']$">
            <Property Path="$Context/Property[Type='CustomSystem_WorkItem_Activity_Library!System.WorkItem.Activity']/Id$">RA{0}</Property>

• Edited by JayScovill Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:43 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:39 PM
  • No other suggestions out there on this one?

Wondering if that fix even applies to 2012 or if I'm putting the code in the wrong place.
    Friday, June 29, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Anyone have any other strategies I could use to work around this problem since adding the prefix in the XML doesn't seem to work in 2012?
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012 1:26 PM
  • Hi All,

This is a significant design issue for the Orchestrator IP for SCSM 2012 and 2010.  I've got round it by specifying the CR prefix (as indicated by Stefan) in the task that creates the CR from template, and by using the 'Create related Object' task to create the manual activity I needed.  Creating the Manual activity in this way allows you to specify ID prefix for the task the same way as you can for the CR itself.  Obviously I had to modify my CR templates in SCSM so that the Activities I want to create don't already exist in the CR templates themselves.  Hope this helps.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:24 AM