iastora.sys 0x7a black screen when deploying to HP ProDesk or EliteDesk RRS feed

• Question

• Creating my image via hyper-v.

Using model specific driver deployment.

My Dell deployments seem to work just fine, but I can't get a single HP one to work, and I'm having trouble finding anything useful. I've tried rebuilding the base image to no avail.

The image gets written to the system in WinPE, drivers get added, DISM gets processed, and then it reboots for the next step and I get that black screen.

I've been trying to work on this for too long and I'm pulling my hair out - someone please. Anyone. Help!

Friday, January 29, 2016 1:15 AM

Answers

• Funny enough - this didn't work. I even restricted it to ONLY the HP WinPE 10 Drivers built into the disk and it still did the same error.

What fixed it was removing all Intel RST drivers and replacing them with the latest copy of the Intel RSTe drivers from here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25393/Intel-RSTe-AHCI-SCU-Software-RAID-driver-for-Windows-

It seems the latest driver pack for WinPE 10 wasn't tested on all of their hardware that deploys with Win10, or it wasn't tested with Win7 deployments. Which makes sense as it's on version 1.00.

Trying to put in the latest version of the RST drivers caused the EXACT SAME hardlock. Replacing them with the RSTe drivers fixed it, atleast for these newer models.

I will do additional testing with old and new machines with this driver pack changed over, and will continue to update this post until we get a proper resolution for PE 10.
    • Marked as answer by VulturEMaN Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:17 PM
    • Edited by VulturEMaN Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:21 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:17 PM

All replies

• Don' t worry m8.

Im deploying alot of HP Machines with Windows 7 and Windows 10 with the latest ADK 10.1.10586, MDT Update 2 using Hyper-V to create images.

I often run my setup on Windows 10 (1511) or Server 2012 R2.

Is it complaining on bitlockerkey?
    Try set Legacy Mode in HP BIOS.

What is your setup?

And what exact model of "HP EliteDesk" are u running? :-)

best regards

• Edited by freeAppz Friday, January 29, 2016 9:58 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2016 6:26 AM
  • Using HyperV in 2012 R2 to create a base image and capture using the default capture procedures.

It isn't complaining on bitlockerkey - not using bitlocker. It's disabled in customsettings.ini

HP ProDesk 600 G1 is my test model and it's failing. Tried switching to an EliteDesk 800 G2 and its still failing.

Friday, January 29, 2016 11:34 AM
  • Hi Bud,

We are a fairly mixed Toshiba\HP environment. As unhelpful as the next statement is, we don't really have any bother with HP devices. Our mdt setup is fairly granular with drivers organised by operating system, Manufacturer and model, pretty much total control.

Not knowing where you are getting your drivers from, are you downloading the HP driver packs etc, correct architecture? I know simple things etc. My advice is to take a step back and try an image deployment without any drivers to see if it completes, I am presuming if you run the same task in the virtual environment you get a sucessful deployment. If an image without specific drivers completes then you can start troubleshooting what is getting injected into the image that is causing the failure. As I am writing this, it is probably wise to to create a bare bones task sequence without any apps etc.

Another thing, it may also be worth just using the default image from the iso of the os you are trying to use, has your image been built from within mdt or imported from a physical machine. I like to keep my base captures pretty generic apart from common apps, avoid putting in model specific apps into a base image. It takes longer to apply apps as a post install task but much easier to troubles shoot and maintain in the future.

Anyway just a few suggestions to hopefully get you back on track.

Ewen.

Friday, January 29, 2016 11:32 PM
  • All HP driver packs were downloaded from the HP DriverPack ftp link where they are all at for x64.

my customsettings.ini first does [Make], [Model], then [Default].

In Make, it does the PE driver folder selection, then Model it selects the individual driver pack folder.

Under the properties for the deployment share, under the Windows PE tab and platform x64, I've always left the Selection Profile to be All Drivers and Packages here, and I've left any Task Sequence driver settings alone, as I was under the impression that any settings below should replace all of that.

Reference images are built within a VM and the only "apps" that are installed are all of the C++ runtimes, which shouldn't be a factor here. I'm trying to go for a fully generic image that can be used for anything.

[Hewlett-Packard]
    DriverSelectionProfile=HPWinPEx64Drivers
    [HP]
    DriverSelectionProfile=HPWinPEx64Drivers

[HP ProDesk 600 G1 TWR]
    DriverGroup001=Win7x64\Hewlett-Packard\400-600-800 G1 Desktops\
    [HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF]
    [HP EliteDesk 800 G1 TWR]
    [HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF]
    [HP ProDesk 600 G1 DM]
    [HP EliteDesk 800 G1 DM]

Monday, February 1, 2016 6:48 PM
  • MDT aside, if I add the HP WinPE 5 or WinPE10 drivers to WDS for a capture image, it will refuse to boot with the same error.

It seems to be an issue with using the WinPE driver pack from HP and how it's being added to my system more than anything.

• Edited by VulturEMaN Monday, February 1, 2016 7:45 PM
    Monday, February 1, 2016 7:24 PM
  • Hi there,

Probably best you have a wee read at this link regarding driver management in Deployment scenarios.

http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

It is pretty much the go to guide if you are setting up an deployment share for a production environment. I am a bit wary that you are using the All drivers profile when creating your boot wim, it must be huge? Basically it will import all the drivers for every model that you have imported into the share. Your boot wim should only have the minimum drivers necessary eg Network and Storage drivers to allow a deployment to complete into the Windows phase.

It also sounds as if you are using a bit of a hybrid deployment method, are you using MDT and litetouch to deploy, or are you just importing your images into WDS and deploying that way. I use WDS but only to piggy back the PXE feature, I import the boot wims necessary but allow MDT\Litetouch to take care of the Deployments.

Its possible you need to have another look at your setup.

Ewen.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Tuesday, February 2, 2016 1:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by VulturEMaN Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:13 PM
    Monday, February 1, 2016 11:08 PM
  • I'm rebuilding the image now after changing the selection profile under the deployment share properties and switching it to be strictly a selection profile of the WinPE 10 driver packs for Dell and HP. I was under the impression that using the selectionprofile variable in the customsettings.ini managed this, but yea it still builds everything into the image.

I feel like I tried that before and ran into additional issues, but I'll let you know.

It's tough because I spent a long time creating a environment specific MDT setup at my last place and lost most of my settings when moving to my new job, so it's been since MDT 2012 came out that I actually went through a successful fresh setup of the settings.

If this works, I'm going to start documenting the settings and any changes I've made.

• Edited by VulturEMaN Wednesday, February 3, 2016 12:56 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 12:56 PM
  • Funny enough - this didn't work. I even restricted it to ONLY the HP WinPE 10 Drivers built into the disk and it still did the same error.

What fixed it was removing all Intel RST drivers and replacing them with the latest copy of the Intel RSTe drivers from here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25393/Intel-RSTe-AHCI-SCU-Software-RAID-driver-for-Windows-

It seems the latest driver pack for WinPE 10 wasn't tested on all of their hardware that deploys with Win10, or it wasn't tested with Win7 deployments. Which makes sense as it's on version 1.00.

Trying to put in the latest version of the RST drivers caused the EXACT SAME hardlock. Replacing them with the RSTe drivers fixed it, atleast for these newer models.

I will do additional testing with old and new machines with this driver pack changed over, and will continue to update this post until we get a proper resolution for PE 10.
    • Marked as answer by VulturEMaN Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:17 PM
    • Edited by VulturEMaN Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:21 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:17 PM
  • This is why you should only add drivers that are missing to WinPE.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 12:44 AM