No search results after Oulook update with search bar in topbar RRS feed

• Question

• After the latest update from Outlook there are no search results(4) anymore when I do a search query(2) in the top bar(1).

Translations / explanation of the numbers:

(1) Search bar in Top bar

(2) The string to search for

(3) Current mailbox

(4) We´re having trouble fetching results from the server. Lets look on your computer instead.

I see this problem in multiple versions of Outlook.  I use version Outlook 2004 (build 12730.20250 klik-en-klaar) Click to run

When I select a field where to search in I do get a search result.

• So If I type the string to search for in the field Hoofdtekst (Message body) I do get a search result as expected.
    • When I hit the link(4) "Kijk in plaats hiervan op de computer" Lets look on your computer instead. I do get search results.

The server where Outlook connects to is an on premise Exchange 2016 Cumulative Update 4

Is irritating that you have to do so many click to do search now. What I want is; Type a search string in the search box, in the Top bar, and hit Enter and get a search result.

Is there a possibility to fix this issue?

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 8:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Rob Groen,

Thanks for visiting our forum, here we mainly focus on general issues about Exchange server but your question is more related to Outlook Client. So I'll move your thread to the dedicated forum for Outlook to better solve your issue.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thanks for your understanding and hope your question will be resolved soon.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 2:32 AM
  • Hi Rob,

>> I use version Outlook 2004 (build 12730.20250 klik-en-klaar) Click to run
    I noticed that your Outlook version is not up to date, please try to update your Outlook and windows to the latest version and see if there is any difference.

Does this issue only occur when searching certain items? Please try to search other more items and see if the issue has any difference.
    According to your research, it seems that you are using an Exchange account. If you are working with cache mode in Outlook, it is suggested for you to 
    turn off Cached Exchange Mode and search with Online mode to see if the issue has any difference.

To confirm if your issue is related to your Outlook, please log in to your webmail and search for test to see if there is any difference.

>> We´re having trouble fetching results from the server. Lets look on your computer instead.
    I researched a lot about your issue and found some possible causes. Please try the following suggestions below and see if it works:

1. Outlook search index issues may cause issues like this. It is suggested to rebuild the Outlook Search index via File > Options > Search > Indexing Options > Select Microsoft Outlook and choose Advanced > Rebulid and see if there is any difference.
    2. Corrupted profile can lead this issue, so please try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if there is any difference.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 7:04 AM
  • Hi ,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. If you have any further updates on this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Friday, May 15, 2020 10:05 AM