Windows 7 Poor Performance Recovering From Sleep RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am experiencing extremely poor performance when I recover from sleep. I am not referring to the time required to restart but the actual performance once it is restarted. All applications (including Internet) respond very slowly to keyboard or mouse input.  Rebooting seems to fix the problem.

I use my computer off and on all day and sleep happens frequently. So this is really frustrating. What is particularly frustrating is that this is a recent problem.  My PC is only a few months old (Window 7 Home 64bit, i7 processor, 2TB disk, 12Gb RAM).  Initially it would come out of sleep lighting fast and there was no degradation at all in use.   Now its essentially unusable unless I reboot. I can't think of anything I installed that would have effected this except possibly when of the Windows 7 updates.

Appreciate all suggestions or help.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:50 PM

All replies

• Gonke

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file here (if you can) to skydrive or a file sharing service

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:51 PM
  • Probably the easiest thing to do is set your machine to High Performance. 

1. Start->Control Panel->System and Security->Power Options
    2. Select High performance

What is probably happening is your processor or video card is sticking in a lower power mode (adjusting its speed) and not going back to its high power setting.

You could also try updating  your video drivers.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

• Marked as answer by gonke Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:06 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by gonke Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ZigZag3143x Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:34 AM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:54 PM
  • Hi,

Here is the link to the file on Skydrive

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E8580D68F05BF0CC!357&authkey=!APjXom-ztX3LqZ4

Thanks

Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:40 AM
  • Already on high performance and my video drivers are up to date. No improvement
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Bios?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:32 PM
  • Uummm.. can you provide a bit more detail?
    Friday, March 15, 2013 11:18 PM
  • Maybe there is a bios update that addresses this.

Friday, March 15, 2013 11:45 PM
  • Gonke

Literally hundreds of nVidia daemon failures

https://gtipjg.bn1.livefilestore.com/y1pXUedE0ZXanuapp5ia1dM03b1WbfrMihXC6SlxnYOVZy_kucFRaqhc4_qMmTNC16OGEvHIPBGwkb5S7Dy-XaRnGp2Y8UXUibz/Nvidia.png?psid=1

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag. www.ZigZag3143.com email Admin@zigzag3143.com

Saturday, March 16, 2013 1:12 AM
  • And that means what? Is there something I should be doing here? I believe my driver is up to date?
    Saturday, March 16, 2013 7:36 PM
  • Gonke

That means it is your nvidia driver or control panel.  I would re-install the newest driver available.  My gut feeling says it is more than just the driver but that is where you need to start.

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag. www.ZigZag3143.com email Admin@zigzag3143.com

Sunday, March 17, 2013 12:00 AM
  • As I indicated further up in this thread I did update my video driver.  Is that good enough or do you mean uninstall and reinstall it? If yes, how do I do that? How do I see what I am doing without a working video driveer?

Also what do you mean by control panel? As far as I know its not possible to uninstall and reinstall the control panel. Its part of Windows

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:45 PM
  • Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your Sky Drive and post a link here.

To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log.

Please say if you need help in using Sky Drive.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:54 PM
  • i thought I had already done this (see above).

Anyways here is an updated link

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E8580D68F05BF0CC!360&authkey=!AGujQ04YDnQpRWY

Let me know if this does not work.

R

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:02 AM
  • Log Name:      System
    Source:        Service Control Manager
    Date:          19/03/13 11:28:11
    Event ID:      7038
    Level:         Error
    Description:
    The nvUpdatusService service was unable to log on as .\UpdatusUser with the currently configured password due to the following error:
    Logon failure: the specified account password has expired.
    To ensure that the service is configured properly, use the Services snap-in in Microsoft Management Console (MMC).

I think this is likely to be the solution.

1) Start Services.msc
    2) Scroll down to "NVIDIA Update Service Daemon"
    3) Right-click it and select Properties
    4) Click the Logon tab
    5) Click the Log on as: Local System Account button ON
    6) Click on Apply and OK
    7) Right click the "NVIDIA Update Service Daemon" and click Start

Source: Muad Dib http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/240229-errors-nvidia-update-unable-log.html

Hope this helps, Gerry

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:28 AM
  • Thanks Gerry.

So I followed you suggestion and predictably the Local System Account Button was not set to ON.  Like this is obvious to a user?

That being said I am skeptical that this will have any effect on performance. Remember my problem occurred when I came out of sleep. I would have thought that if the daemon was really the problem if would affect performance all the time.

At any rate I think I found another (perhaps THE) culprit, more or less my chance. I noticed that a program (WDFME) for my external hard drive was taking up a fair amount of CPU and doing a lot of disk IO. This is apparently a known problem ( http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Software/WHEN-IS-WDFME-exe-GOING-TO-GET-FIXED/td-p/307488/page/4) and since I do not need it, I removed it.  Performance is much improved, though I am not certain yet this is THE problem. I cannot see any connection to degradation coming out of sleep, but going through the posts it seems that this program is so flaky, I would not be surprised there is one. I seem to recall seeing several instances running.  Perhaps it was spawning a new instance every time the computer came out of sleep.

gonke

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:14 PM
  • Please run the Fix it in this KB Article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2545227

Uncheck box before Enable AVG Self Protection:

http://forums.avg.com/image/freeforum/ww/217563/13025

The above are small steps in the right direction.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        ESENT
    Date:          19/03/13 11:26:10
    Event ID:      301
    Task Category: Logging/Recovery
    Level:         Information
    Description:
    Windows (6868) Windows: The database engine has begun replaying logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSS.log.

This report must have implications but I have not yet figured out what they are.

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP

Date:          19/03/13 11:26:17

Event ID:      219

Level:         Warning

Description:

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_GENERIC-&PROD_COMPACT_FLASH&REV_1.01#058F63626476&1#.

This is a Windows Portable Device. Right click on the device in Device Manager and select Uninstall and restart the computer. Please tell me if the device is reinstalled by Plug and Play.

What version of Acronis do you have?

Hope this helps, Gerry

Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:29 PM
  • I uninstalled one of the remote devices (they are card readers) and it seems to have reinstalled itself.

Acronis TrueImage 2013 Build 5551

Thanks

Saturday, March 23, 2013 2:58 AM
  • Type Device Manager in the Search box above the Start button and press ENTER. Are there any yellow question marks in Device Manager? If yes what is the Device Error code. Are there any entries under Portable Device?

To see Hidden Devices (Non Plug and Play Drivers) you need to select View, Show Hidden Devices. It is necessary to do this every time you open Device Manager if you need to see them.

A further complication can be Ghosted Devices –installed but not connected!http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2005/04/29/display-hidden-devices-in-device-manager-xp/

What is your computer make and model? If not a branded computer what is your motherboard make and model?

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Please upload to your Sky Drive, share with everyone and post a link here.

Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your Sky Drive and post a link here.

To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Saturday, March 23, 2013 8:44 AM
  • Here is the link. My system information is included.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E8580D68F05BF0CC!361&authkey=!AK248gbU--8Kmvo

There are no yellow question marks, although the Ghosted devices list many devices... does it make an entry every time an external  USB device is attached?

Performance is much improved.

thanks for all your help.

BTW, is there a way to eventually purge the event logs so that they do not clog up the system?

Saturday, March 23, 2013 7:50 PM
  • This could be part of the problem.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        VSS
    Date:          22/03/13 15:25:04
    Event ID:      12348
    Level:         Warning
    Description:
    Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: VSS was denied access to the root of volume \\?\Volume{9c0733aa-eac5-11e1-a1a2-844bf53b60d2}\. Denying administrators from accessing volume roots can cause many unexpected failures, and will prevent VSS from functioning properly.  Check security on the volume, and try the operation again.

Try the solution suggested in this link:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734468(v=ws.10).aspx

I can tell you how to reduce the size of Event Viewer logs but these are best left as they are until your problems are sorted.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:08 PM
  • Check security on the volume, and try the operation again.

Umm..try what operation again?
    Sunday, March 24, 2013 4:19 PM
  • Check security on the volume, and try the operation again.

Umm..try what operation again?

This is from that link Gerry replied with:

Resolve

Ensure that VSS has access to the volume root directory

To perform this procedure, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.

To ensure that Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) has access to the volume root directory:

1. Open an elevated Command Prompt. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
    2. Type icacls <VolumeRootPath> /grant system:f at the command prompt, where <VolumeRootPath> is the path to the volume root directory, for example, D:\.

For more information about the icacls command, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=104873.

Verify

To perform this procedure, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.

To verify that the Volume Shadow Copy Service is started:

1. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
    2. In the results pane, double-click Volume Shadow Copy.
    3. In Service status, make sure that the status is Started. If the status is not Started, click Start.
    4. Make sure Startup type is set to Manual.
    5. Click OK.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:16 PM
  • Sorry I took so long, I was away.

I preformed the icacls command listed above and then verified the service...it was not started so I started it. Not sure what it accomplished. Here is the link for the logs.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E8580D68F05BF0CC!362&authkey=!AL0BlSd6RQbU-OA

Thursday, April 4, 2013 3:06 AM
  • Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Please upload to your Sky Drive, share with everyone and post a link here.

Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your Sky Drive and post a link here.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Saturday, April 6, 2013 11:08 PM
  • Here it is.  Thanks for you help.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E8580D68F05BF0CC!363&authkey=!AHFJOle47d1cjkQ

Monday, April 8, 2013 9:51 PM