Windows Update breaks base image in audit mode RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to build a series of base installation images in a virtual machine to provide "driverless" bases with various specialty departmental softwares (which often need special updating) which can then be deployed to any number of devices and have drivers installed off our driver hosting server at the time of installation.  

I like to keep a base "windows only" virtual machine in audit mode to specialize, sysprep and deploy to new equipment configurations.

I installed off the windows 7 x64 installation media, hit ctrl+F3, entered audit mode, and installed windows updates.  Windows Update requires a reboot to complete. When I reboot, I get the error, "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation." 

This is running on a virtualbox virtual machine, only native on-disk windows drivers, and updating windows is the only change that has been made after the initial installation.

The sysprep error log from C:\Windows\System32\sysprep\Panther\setuperr just says "2013-07-18 12:43:31, Error     [0x0f0043 SYSPRP WinMain:The sysprep dialog box returned FALSE"

is there any other area I should check for error logs?  
    is there any way to make this installation bootable, or do I have to start over from scratch?
    Any ideas what could be causing this to break?  With only windows updates installed, I am not confidant this is a one-time issue.

Friday, July 19, 2013 3:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From your description, there is some updates didn't installed completly, you can check which updates that installed failed. in addition, you can check the log which record the process of Windows update installation.

C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log.

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

To be added, often windows update install failed caused by accident, You can make a clean boot for test, to make sure whether it is because a  program or service caused your problem.

Please refer to the following link for more details.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796?wa=wsignin1.0

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:14 AM