Major BCD problems! Help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

So here's the story:

I put together my own Computer, this is my 4th now. Originally installed XP64 which was fine. Recently bought Vista 64. Installed the new Vista 64 and made sure all my drivers were bang up to date.

However, everytime I switch on/restart I receive......

File: \Boot\Bcd

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data

Here is the bad bit...

I know there are various ways of fixing this. If I put the DVD in and run the repair it comes up with the screen to pick my OS. There is no OS as an option however it then flashes up with a notice saying their is an issue with Vista booting - do I want to repair? So I click yes, it repairs and I start Vista, which then runs fine.

However, this happens every time I restart. Ive fixed it manually also. Ive read every thread on the internet about it but each time after repair it fails.

Any ideas? I saw one thread about this happening after updating drivers. ???

Thanks in advance

Joe
    Monday, November 10, 2008 6:18 PM

Answers

• Andy,

You are my hero, it's fixed.

Many Thanks

Joe
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 8:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First please help confirm the following two points:

1. When did the issue begin to occur?

2. Have any changes been made on the computer recently, such as an installation or upgrade?

I know that you are unable to view the current operation system in Repair console; the issue should be caused by the corruption of the bootloader. Please follow the steps below to narrow down the issue.

Method 1: Rebuild BCD

=================

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt

7. Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR, and then press ENTER

8. Type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT, and then press ENTER

9. Type BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD, and then press ENTER

Method 2: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore

========================================================

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Method 3: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

=======================================================

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

If the issue still persists, you should format the computer and rebuild the system to solve the problem in timely manner.

Hope it helps!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:26 AM
  • Hi,

It started as soon as I loaded the Vista 64. All I have done is installed the latest drivers for everyting. Something strange happened last night though. I turned off the computer after only a short while of running it. Then turned it back on 30 mins later and it booted to Vista. This morning however it won't, back to square one. I made no changes before it sucessfully booted, the only difference was that I turned it off after only a short usage. Normally it is on all day.

I have done steps 2 and 3 previously and as I said, it does boot to Vista after the repair but then fails the next time I startup. It is as if what every was done to repair it with the DVD is being eradicated during the time I use it or when I shutdown/boot up again.

I'll give step on a try though

Thanks
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:03 PM
  • Hello,

According to your response, I suspect that the issue might be caused that the third-party application damaged the system files. After repairing the computer, please perform the steps below.

Terminate third-party conflicts

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode with Networking, and press Enter.

5) Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, let’s try a Clean Boot to test the issue.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

Good Luck!

Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:27 AM
  • Andy,

You are my hero, it's fixed.

Many Thanks

Joe
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 8:16 PM