2 List with 3 workflow in SharePoint online RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings.

I have a list to create item, approved by  Cost Center Manager (1st Approval ) and then followed by the Department Manager (2nd level approval).

After both approval, this item will be forwarded to Queue list for purchasing process.

So i developed 2 Sharepoint 2010 approval workflow for the first list to display the status for both Cost Center Manager approval and Department approval. 

Now I manage to get the 1st approval, showing approved, but the 2nd level approval is not started sending email for the 2nd level approval.

Can I have anyone help on this please? Its urgent,

Below is the screenshot for the code in SharePoint Designer.

First Approval

2nd Approval

Monday, November 13, 2017 2:22 AM

All replies

• Hello there

Apologies if I've misunderstood your question, but in Approval Step 1 where you have

If Current Item:Approval Status equals 0;#Approved

On the next line after setting the workflow status to Approved, can you start the next Approval Workflow for IT Manager Approval?

It may look something like this:

If Current Item:Approval Status equals 0;#Approved
     Set workflow status to Approved
     then Start IT Manager Approval process on Current Item with ***

Hope this helps.

Yoshi

• Edited by SharePointYoshi Monday, November 13, 2017 4:24 AM
    • Proposed as answer by croute1 Monday, November 13, 2017 4:13 PM
    Monday, November 13, 2017 4:05 AM
  • Hi,

You need to check if the status of Cost Center Manager is approved, then start the next approval step.

A demo (same workflow logic) for your reference:

http://sharepointegyptianstyle.blogspot.sg/2012/10/two-level-approval-workflow-in.html#!/2012/10/two-level-approval-workflow-in.html

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, November 13, 2017 9:07 AM
  • Greetings Yoshi,

I have changed the code as above, but only 1st level approval email sent for approval and completion. 1st workflow column shows approved but the 2nd level approval column shows in progress only. No email alert sent for the 2nd workflow email alert.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 2:36 AM
  • Ok, why do you need two workflows?

In the first workflow you can add multiple approvers as in the screenshot below, just make sure you select the Serial option (highlighted).

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 4:08 AM
  • Greetings.

Process for this flow:
    ( From LIST1-  1st approval + 2nd approval =Approved item copy to --> LIST2)

I hope you understand the flow. 

Thank you for the suggestion, as that was initial step to combine both approval, but failed to get the both approvalitems to copy into another list.

Thus separated two workflow for cost center manager and department manager.

I need 2 separate workflow because I will need show the approval status separately for the Cost center manager and department manager. This also ease the copy of the secondary approval items to another list.

** On other note, I manage to get this 2 separate workflow to work with the statement Start after the Approved status.

But i notice the Approval email works for the 2nd approval while the workflow task item works for the first approval.

Where is the conflict made the email was not send for both approvals? Please help.

Thank you for the response,

Thursday, November 16, 2017 3:25 AM
  • I think you might have to look at editing the internals of a Workflow to copy the item once it has been approved as well as for sending out an email.

See this video for instructions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfGDBzQvAwI

To be honest, I personally feel you can keep it simple by having one workflow for two people to approve in a serial manner as I've discussed in my previous post. You can show both people have approved by clicking on the workflow name which will bring up the history of the workflow. Once both have approved you can then copy the item to a separate list.

I'm not sure if I can assist you any further but this is a pretty simple approval workflow.

Yoshi

Thursday, November 16, 2017 4:40 AM
  • Greetings.

I need help here. It is a mist to include 2 separate workflow for costcenter manager approval and department manager.

Thus the workflow status is displayed in the list column.

Now the email is not sent for the second approval attached for this list.

Email notification - Yes, done for the settings.

First workflow email only being sent for the alert.

Please help.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 7:23 AM
  • Hi SP Developer Shree,

I suggest you set only one workflow instead of three workflows for one list. Since only one workflow instance can be run in one item at the same time. Once the three workflows are triggered, the second and third workflow waits to be completed one by one, which may cause performance issues.

I have tested in my environment. Here are details:

I created two lists named “LIST1”, “LIST2” and created “TwoLevelApproval” workflow in LIST1. In LIST1, I created “Cost Center Manager approval” and “IT Management approval” two columns, which store the status of the two approval processes. If the values of the two columns equal to “Approved”, workflow will copy item from “LIST1” to “LIST2”.

The detailed steps in “TwoLevelApproval” workflow:

The workflow works fine in my environment, could you have a test?

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 23, 2017 3:03 AM
  • Greeting Dean Wang,

Appreciated very much on your effort.

Is the comment above uses the SharePoint Workflow 2010? I am using SP workflow 2010.

Which action did you use for the second line action:

Set Cost Center Manager Approval to Current Item: Approval Status ?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Monday, November 27, 2017 1:51 AM
  • Hi,

Using 2010 workflow or 2013 workflow is depend on your requirement.

SP 2010 workflow are hosted on SharePoint workflow runtime which is using Windows workflow runtime. 2013 Workflows are hosted outside of SharePoint. You need to install SharePoint workflow manager to host 2013 workflows.

Depend on your scenario, 2010 and 2013 workflow are both ok.

I created a column named “Cost Center Manager Approval”, which stores the approval status. The action I used is “Set Field in Current Item” under List Actions section.

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 11:39 AM
  • HI Dean Wang,

Thank you for the update that need to create 2 columns for both approval status.

The idea here is to auto alert the approvers via email when the new item created. I will add the email alert to see if the automation works.

This new 2 columns (choice type for Approve/Reject options)appeared to be manual lookup for the approval process.

I tried your above code as follows, it does not worked in my environment.

I have enabled all the site features. 

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 4:10 AM
  • Hi,

Could you provide your workflow detailed steps?

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:57 AM
  • I activated this workflow only and than the email works only for Cost center manager.Th email is send for Cost Center Approval only.

After few trial it does sent the email for both first labeled as Cost Center Manager Approval and than followed by IT Task email for second review, but did not mentioned as the IT Manager Approval email. Still send only for the Cost center Manager Approval emails.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:14 AM
  • I made changes where I make the approval to be choice option and move the item according to the Approve status. How to stop the workflow after the approval. Stop Workflow action does not work here.

But now the second approval keep looping even after approve. Can any one help on this:

Thursday, December 7, 2017 8:44 AM
  • Workflow email loop issue resolved after i add the Pause action for 10 min to delay workflow action.

This link below has the reason:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2437e7ec-c0af-4d2b-8392-6054cacaeb46/duplicate-workflow-tasks-created-in-same-workflow-instance?forum=sharepointcustomizationlegacy

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/126323/getting-duplicate-emails-from-sp2010-workflow-why

Friday, December 8, 2017 6:50 AM