Connection Error RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All

i have installed SQL 2008 management studio in my PC(local) and try run DB in local PC.

but when i connect in my PC(local). it show as Connection Error to local, kindly advise. thank u

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:53 PM

Answers

• Do you have SQL Server installed at all on your machine? SSMS is not SQL Server. If you installed the Express Edition, try ".\SQLEXPRESS".

But since you specify dooain\user as a login, I assume that you are working in a corporative environment, and maybe there is a server somewhere that you want to connect to. Obviously, I don't know the name of it.

Also, if you want to log in with your Windows login, you should choose Windows Authentication from the dropdown, in which case you cannot specify a login name. (Because you cannot login with a different login with Windows authentication.)

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    • Proposed as answer by Allen Li - MSFT Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kalman Toth Saturday, November 30, 2013 12:33 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try to use "." in the server name instead of (local) and verify your password.

Best regards.
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

Goto Run -> Services.msc -> SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) (check whether service is started) .

sathya - www.allaboutmssql.com ** Mark as answered if my post solved your problem and Vote as helpful if my post was useful **.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:56 PM
  • try to use valid sql server name or only DOT.

check sql service is running.

try from cmd....

from command prompt run >sqlcmd -E -S <computername\SQL Servername>

Looks like you are using windows login name ? looks like its a domain account ? i dont think so sql account will be like that.

can you please check this once before trying ???

Regards
    Raju R

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:06 PM
  • Do you have SQL Server installed at all on your machine? SSMS is not SQL Server. If you installed the Express Edition, try ".\SQLEXPRESS".

But since you specify dooain\user as a login, I assume that you are working in a corporative environment, and maybe there is a server somewhere that you want to connect to. Obviously, I don't know the name of it.

Also, if you want to log in with your Windows login, you should choose Windows Authentication from the dropdown, in which case you cannot specify a login name. (Because you cannot login with a different login with Windows authentication.)

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    • Proposed as answer by Allen Li - MSFT Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kalman Toth Saturday, November 30, 2013 12:33 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:18 PM