none
Set recurring tasks by end date RRS feed

• Question

• I have five reports that are submitted weekly (1), monthly (2) and quarterly (2). I want to create recurring tasks that bring me through the development of each report (ranging from two days to one month depending on the report) and end with the report submission. I have tried with recurring tasks but am unable to set the task to the submission date. I can only set a two week recurring task based on the start date (which will vary depending on how many days are in the month prior).

For example, one of the monthly reports is handed in on the 7th of each month. The report takes two weeks to create. I would like to show this development and have the task end on the 7th. 

Are recurring tasks not the way to go? Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:24 PM

All replies

• Petschek --

I would definitely not use recurring tasks for your situation, given the problems you have already encountered.  I would create regular tasks for the creation of each report and place a Must Finish On constraint on each task with the required Finish date.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:25 AM
  • Hi Nick,

I agree with Dale that you cannot get completely there with recurring tasks.  However, you should be able to create the "Deliver report" milestones as recurring tasks and then insert the preparation tasks in the list.

For example:

Create the recurring tasks for "Monthly Report Due."  Set the duration as zero to recur on the 7th of every month. Set the range of recurrence as needed. After creating the recurring tasks, insert a "Prepare for monthly report task above the first Report Due.  set the duration as 2 weeks and link to in a Start to Finish relationship with the first monthly report.  Copy and paste the "prepare" tasks in the list and set the StoF links.

I hope this helps.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:12 PM