none
MAP Toolkit 3.2 WMI Errors RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am getting "Failed - Machine not found", "Failed - RPC Server Unavailable", and "Failed - Connection time out" errors on over 75% of my workstations in the WMI Status field in the Client Assessment Worksheet of the Vista Assessment workbook.  However, I am able to connect to and query most of these systems using wbemtest and the same credentials used in the MAP Toolkit.  I also did this test with a PS script (below).  Also note, ICMP echo request (ping) is not allowed on my network.  Please advise on some other troubleshooting steps / settings for the MAP Toolkit.

************* WMI Query Sample ****************

$ErrorActionPreference = "SilentlyContinue"
    New-item -path ./FailedMachines.txt -type file -force

$comps = get-content "./Machines.txt"

######################################
     Foreach ( $comp in $comps ) {
      gwmi -ev err win32_processor -computername $comp | where { $_.DeviceID -eq "CPU0" }

############## Error Handling ##############
       If ($err.count -gt 0) {
       add-content ./FailedMachines.txt $comp
       write-host "$comp - Failed to connect to computer" -Foreground red
       $err.clear()
       } else {        
          Write-host "$comp - WMI Query Successful" -foreground green
       }
     }

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:58 PM

All replies

• Got more information from Dave, he installed Windows 2003 VM on a Windows XP physical machine running Virtual PC.

You’ve created an interesting situation:  While Windows 2003 has no practical limit on the number of simultaneously allowed TCP/IP connections, Windows XP has a limit of 10 or 12 simultaneous open TCP/IP connections.   MAPS thinks it’s running on Windows 2003, so it’s being really aggressive in parallelizing it’s remote queries, but throttling is taking place on the host XP machine.  As you suspect, this is causing ugliness.

Easiest thing to do would be to create a XP VM and run MAPS on that.  
    Friday, March 13, 2009 12:23 AM