none
GPO Start Menu Layout Missing Icons

Question

• We are using Windows 10 professional and utilize the Start Menu layout pushing out with a GPO. Everything works fine but have had a couple users that one or more of the icons/shortcuts disappeared but the spaces stay, just empty. I have tested trying to modify the GPO XML file so it would re-push again but always the same icon(s) don't come back.

It appears on at least one this happened when the icon shortcut (network location) was unavailable and they got an error stating the network location was unavailable but the shortcuts are indeed still in the %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:09 PM

All replies

• Hello!

Could you tried to restart the service?

And can you review your GPO about "All aps" and "All settings" because the All apps GPO need to remove all programs list from the start menu and the all settings GPO, prevent changes to taskbar and start menu.

Regards,

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 11:15 PM

• Hi ,

The below is a similar case for your reference. Please check the marked answer in the following link to repair store apps. Hope it will be helpful for you.
    Windows 10 Start Menu deployment by GPO/XML in domain - Tiles randomly missing
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/9ed028b0-6c4a-48a5-843f-98f2dc1e4ad8/windows-10-start-menu-deployment-by-gpoxml-in-domain-tiles-randomly-missing?forum=win10itprogeneral

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 2:26 AM
  • We are using Windows 10 professional and utilize the Start Menu layout pushing out with a GPO. Everything works fine but have had a couple users that one or more of the icons/shortcuts disappeared but the spaces stay, just empty. I have tested trying to modify the GPO XML file so it would re-push again but always the same icon(s) don't come back.

It appears on at least one this happened when the icon shortcut (network location) was unavailable and they got an error stating the network location was unavailable but the shortcuts are indeed still in the %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder.

Suggestions :

1. Rebuild icon cache
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5645-rebuild-icon-cache-windows-10-a.html

2. Clear and reset thumbnail cache
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5655-clear-reset-thumbnail-cache-windows-10-a.html

Thursday, April 13, 2017 4:06 AM
  • RIck_Li, this looks like it is only for Store apps. I had a look at the solution and the directory on a working machine and seems consistent that items in this folder are only the store (Microsoft) apps.

In this case, the missing icons could be a shortcut to an application shared on the network or in one case an application shortcut on the machine, but the path is correct and was working fine. I can browse to the path that used in the XML file and run the application fine, just the icon is missing from the start menu and the spot is blank

Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:30 PM
  • Thanks David, I did give this a try but has not returned the icon to the start menu. I see the idea but the same icon I have pushed on to the desktop and they can see the icon there as well as run the application. just seems to be something not loading the icon in the start menu. CLicking on the blank space does not do anything either I should add.

thanks

Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:32 PM
  •  icon is missing from the start menu and the spot is blank

That sounds like a rendering problem.  Some Accessibility tools could help then.  E.g. any difference if you invoke Magnifier or (more likely IMO) Narrator?  Narrator can see and describe stuff that is not rendered.  Even more remarkable: once it does this they appear!  Hocus pocus.

Windows 10.  Still an Adventure ("Twisty passages, all different.")

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, April 13, 2017 7:52 PM
  • Robert,

I tested this using magnifier as well as using start full screen, changed display and so forth and no change.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:32 PM
  •  tested this using magnifier

What about Narrator?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:49 PM
  • Yes, I tested this just now, seems if a rendering issue it is not changing at all with the different methods tested
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:05 PM
  • I have found the resolution, for anyone else who has this issue give this a try.

I found the shortcut was missing from %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs for one of the items that was missing. I replaced this then made a change to the XML pushed in the GPO to give it a newer date stamp then forced a GPUPDATE on the machine. logged the user off and back on and the tile(s) reappeared.

• Proposed as answer by Techmerlin16 Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:09 PM
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:09 PM
  • I really wish this worked for me, but nope, the lnk file is definitely in the location you refer to. The xml file points there.
    Monday, March 19, 2018 3:47 PM
  • I have the same problem and the issue which I found to be causing the problem is for lack of a better word, stupid.

If you look at the XML file created during the export you can easily see the problem:

<start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />

If you look at the XML above thats the icon for the weather app I have in my start menu. Problem is some Windows 10 devices have updated this app and it changes the name or ID. I have found the same to happen to other apps. When this happens after updates icons go missing. The custom start menu only displays properly if all of the icons match the exact id/version of the start menu they were captured from. Hence why when some of the users on my network updated to the new April 2018 update they lost half their menu however when we recaptured the start menu layout and redeployed it using the same GPO it started working again, but any machines which had not been upgraded now had missing icons. So it seems to be a stupid problem that the only way to fix is to make sure all machines have the exact same level of patching, else you get empty spots in your start menu layout.

Thursday, May 03, 2018 10:27 AM
  • Also something else worth noting I have found that when you install some apps like Word, Excel, Office 365, etc. to a machine then capture the image and redeploy it sometimes they change the names of the apps.

I have seen Word 2016 get changed to just Word after the image is deployed. This of course breaks the links as well. I'm not sure why this happens but it does so keep in mind the best way to capture a start menu is to do it after you have deployed your final image from a freshly imaged machine else a list of odd things like this and the one above can make this feature stop working.

Thursday, May 03, 2018 12:58 PM