App-V CU1 with hotfix 006 or App-V 4.5 SP1: pick your poison RRS feed

• Question

• We migrated from Softgrid 3.2 to App-V 4.5 SP1 a couple of weeks back.
    I had the most crucial packages tested by the Application managers with good results. I fixed some older packages that gave "Self-Referential Mapping found" errors in the eventlog.
    Once we moved our stuff over, we found that Microsoft had planted some nicely hidden boobytraps in App-V SP1.

For instance: Some users got kicked out of one application and couldn't start the app which would throw a Dr Watson.  This also happened before the migration but users would always be able to directly start this app without a problem. (We hate this app with a passion but it's crucial to some parts of the organisation. The package contains a Oracle 10.1.2 client and starts a Uniface program from the network..yikes!)

I also saw some Application Virtualization Client,6007,Error,16,application.exe Unable to attach to process 17048 (Terminated Process) messages appearing in the Eventlog but they seemed harmless as far as I can tell.

Then the good news came that MS released the Hotfix006 for App-V 4.5 CU1 which contains amongst others, the possible solution to our problem:
    In some scenarios, an application may not start, and you receive a DLL error or a "File Not Found" error. This issue is most likely to occur on a multiprocessor computer.
    or
    A virtual application that calls the RegQueryMultipleValues function may experience unexpected errors or cannot start. For example, you receive error messages when you start or shutdown the Trapeze application. Then, the application does not work correctly (pick a card...)

What really really ticked me off was the fact that MS had no release for the 4.5 SP1 client!!! The pressure on our IT began to rise, to make everything work as before.
    So finally I sat down with our IT manager and explained to him that we had to reinstall the Terminal Servers with an older App-V client and install a newer hotfix that might help in fixing this issue. (Yes, install an OLDER client with a NEWER hotfix which in effect makes 4.5 CU1 with hotfix 006 a newer version than 4.5 SP1!)

This is the second day that we are running with this client and I haven't seen any users complaining about being unable to start the app which is good!
    The CU1 with Hotfix006 however has returned the: Application Virtualization Client,6006,Error,37,Self-Referential Mapping found: errors for some packages which I didn't see in App-V SP1. (annoying but no show-stopper)

As long as Microsoft keeps juggling two versions, App-V is broken as far as I am concerned. Microsoft needs to stop !$%&*^) around, round up all the App-V developers, stick them in one room and only let them out once they consolidated everything into one robust, flawless, application virtualization product.
    So no free time the coming weeks for the App-V productgroup because App-V has taken up to much of mine already... :)

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 10:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Znack
    I now definitely know what you went trough the last couple of months..I also made a blogpost about this issue with a little more background on how we landed in this situation..
    http://www.virtualistic.nl/archives/489

Regards

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:55 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:34 PM

All replies

• Hello,

yeah we have been running the CU1 (without HF6) since May. We have taken loads of heat because of that. The HF6 went into production in October (got MS to release it to us) and no problems since.

Awaiting a SP1 upgrade as soon as the new HF is released.

/Znack
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:15 AM
  • Hi Znack
    I now definitely know what you went trough the last couple of months..I also made a blogpost about this issue with a little more background on how we landed in this situation..
    http://www.virtualistic.nl/archives/489

Regards

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:55 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:34 PM
  • Glad I saw your posts ... was going to sp1 shortly  .... getting cu1 HF's now!
    Friday, December 18, 2009 8:57 PM
  • Hello,

Some brief info from a DE-blog;
    "Hi All,

just imagine you have an application that has worked with App-V 4.5 RTM, but still wonderfully with App-V 4.5 CU1, function calls, only four out of ten applications.

If you want to record all my procmon.exe the application starts ten out of ten times the straight and then does not help make things a bit strange. If then added that this behavior is not equal on all machines you have to look at the old configuration in detail.

Then noticed that the bug only occurs to a system with 2 or more CPU's that.

Thus, it was clear that this is a problem with the synchronization of the App-V driver Muti is in the processor environment.

Temporary workaround: Enable or above in the Boot.ini Boot NUMPROC CFG = 1.

Problem will be fixed this month in the hotfix 6th"
    (yeah I used google translate)

Source:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/sgern/archive/2009/09/04/synchronisation.aspx
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:39 PM
  • Hi znack

The post on that blog is dated, September 04, 2009 . Hotfix 6 for CU1 has been released since then and there are still some weird issues surrounding this topic. Still no hotfix for 4.5 SP1 in sight

EDIT:

Looks like I spoke too soon...hotfix 1 for SP1 is available:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/sgern/archive/2010/01/15/app-v-4-5-sp1-hotfix-1-ist-nun-auf-anfrage-verf-gbar.aspx
    Monday, January 18, 2010 7:16 AM
  • Hello,

Yeah, I released the above - however he posts a second solution aswell.

"Temporary workaround: Enable or above in the Boot.ini Boot NUMPROC CFG = 1."

/Znack
    Monday, January 18, 2010 7:33 AM
  • I know..but that shouldn't be necessary after the fix because it says: "Temporary workaround"
    Doesn't this setting severely handicap your Terminal Server..?

The KB for hotfix 1 for SP1 (oh my, MS please just merge your products into something all mortal beings can understand) should be out this week according to the German blogpost

Monday, January 18, 2010 8:16 AM
  • I checked Shawn's blog post on this but I'm not sure it relates to the problem I described above and my other post:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvclients/thread/af6ee1b8-3867-4da8-84a9-f93bd29fa1ce

(even though we have the "File could not be found" in common)

http://www.shawnbass.com/Blogs/tabid/58/EntryId/170/App-V-4-5-File-System-race-condition-found-and-fixed.aspx

Monday, January 18, 2010 10:32 AM