Moving the configuration Database to another server. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All,

I have Performance Point Installed and configured on SQL 2008 VM with SQL 2005 Instance. Now i want to uninstall the SQL 2005 instance and move the configuration databases on to a different VM which has SQL Server 2005.

Can anybody tell me the steps and how difficult will it be to achieve?

What will be the effect of this on my dashboards and Planning piece..

Thanks in advance..

Regards,

Rohit Kapoor

Friday, September 5, 2008 3:16 PM

Answers

•  

Rohit,

I have seen this error when the web.config is pointing to an incorrect database.  Did you update the connection string in all three web.config files?  Need to make sure that the database name is correct as well as the data Source. 

Resolution:

1. Edit all three the web.config files and do a find for PPSMonitoring

The three files default locations are:

SharePoint C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80

Monitoring WebService: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server\3.0\Monitoring\WebService

Preview: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server\3.0\Monitoring\Preview

2. Change this Catalog= to the correct Database in this line: <add key="Bpm.MonitoringConnectionString" value="Data Source=ServerName;Initial Catalog=PPSMonitoring;Integrated Security=True" />

4. Run IISreset

5. Refresh your Dashboard and redeploy to SharePoint

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 8:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Rohit,

It is possible to move the databases from one environment to another.

Please take a look into Backing up and restoring Monitoring Server databases topic http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb794641.aspx

Planning: Follow the link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb838729.aspx

Thank you,

Sundar - MSFT

Friday, September 5, 2008 4:03 PM
  • hi Sunder,

I looked at the link but i am not very clear how to do this.

This is my complete requirement:

• I have 3 VMs namely: moss, sql2008, sql2005
    • sql2008 VM has a 2005 instance.
    • i installed PPS M&A on moss VM with config db on sql2008's 2005 instance.
    • now i want to shift this db (config db) to sql2005 VM and uninstall 2005 instance from sql2008 VM.
    • i dont want to install PPS again.

i can simply take the database backup and restore it on the sql2005 VM.

but how will i tell my Monitoring server to point to new server location now? Shall i run the config wizard again?

Regards,

Rohit Kapoor

Monday, September 8, 2008 7:17 AM
  • Hi Rohit,

Please follow the instructions mentioned in the URL http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb794641.aspx to move the database to new box.    Yes, you need to run the Monitoring Configuration Manager, note use Distributed Option since the database is present

Thank you,

Sundar - MSFT

Monday, September 8, 2008 3:17 PM
  • Hi Sunder,

From what i have understood the steps:

1. Backup the database from current location.
    2. Delete the database from current location.
    3. Run the configuration wizard and say delete component and select only the Monitoring System Databases(This is required because otherwise you wont move forward in the wizard)
    4. Restore the database to new location.
    5. Run the Configuration wizard and select Add Components and then choose Provision Monitoring System Database. But the wizard does not allow me to go further. It says the database is not empty. and if I select create new database it says the database exists, which is true.

I am stuck. Can you verify the steps. Am i doing anything wrong?

Regards,

Rohit Kapoor

Monday, September 8, 2008 4:52 PM
  • Hi Rohit,

Note: You don't need to create the database in Provision since the database already moved to the new server.  Please make sure the User configuring the Monitoring Server have necessary permission in SQL. 

I have seen the error while provisioning you can workaround the issue by allowing the user installing the Monitoring Server to have SA server role in SQL Management Studio (SSMS | Database Engine | Security | Login | User Properties | Server Role).   The credentials can be removed after the completing the installation

Thank you,

Sundar - MSFT

Monday, September 8, 2008 5:07 PM
  • Sundar,

in the configuration wizard, on the specify your configurations for the monitoring system database page. there are only two options 1. Create Monitoring System database and 2. Provision Monitoring System Database.

If I select the 1st option it says the database name specified already exists.select a different server or specify a different database name. and 2nd option is already out of scope.

I have security Admin permission in SSMS..

Any other clue?

Regards,

Rohit Kapoor

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 9:52 AM
  •  

Sundar,

I changed the connection strings in the  Web.Config files of webservice and preview folders and i guess now atleast it has started to point to the new database..but my deployed dashboards have stopped working..Do i need to again publish everything and if i am using individual webparts then do i need to again modify the webparts..

Is there any other solution or any step that i am missing?

Regards,

Rohit Kapoor

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:45 PM
  •  

PerformancePoint Dashboard Item

The database connection failed. Please contact an administrator.

This is the error I am getting on the Webparts..

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:29 PM
  • Hi Rohit,

Can you please clarify whether you are getting the error in Monitoring Configuration Manager or some other area?.    Please make sure PPSMonitoringWebApplication Pool user able to access the SharePoint Configuration Database. 

Whether SharePoint is working fine outside the PPS the reason behind that since you moved the SharePoint Configuration DB to new server need to make sure that part is working.  

Thank you,

Sundar - MSFT

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 2:34 PM
  • This error I am getting on the sharepoint pages where i deployed my dashboards..

I have modified to Web.Config connection strings to point to new sql instance..(didnt run the config wizard)

I have not Moved the sharepoint config DB only the Monitoring Config DB is moved..

Sharepoint is working fine outside the PPS...

Regards,

Rohit kapoor

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 4:13 PM
  •  

Rohit,

I have seen this error when the web.config is pointing to an incorrect database.  Did you update the connection string in all three web.config files?  Need to make sure that the database name is correct as well as the data Source. 

Resolution:

1. Edit all three the web.config files and do a find for PPSMonitoring

The three files default locations are:

SharePoint C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80

Monitoring WebService: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server\3.0\Monitoring\WebService

Preview: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server\3.0\Monitoring\Preview

2. Change this Catalog= to the correct Database in this line: <add key="Bpm.MonitoringConnectionString" value="Data Source=ServerName;Initial Catalog=PPSMonitoring;Integrated Security=True" />

4. Run IISreset

5. Refresh your Dashboard and redeploy to SharePoint

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 8:53 PM