none
Windows 10 Pro: Assigned Access: App start behavior and Break-out "issues"

Question

• I have a UWP app that I am using for assigned access on a kiosk device, joined to a Domain.  I have set GPO per the best practice recommendations.  I have encountered two unexpected behaviors:

1. On restart, the application will not start on its own.  Some intervention such as C-A-D or "Switch User" kick-starts the app and from there the app runs as expected.
    2. Attempting the break-out of the assigned access user account does not work.  C-A-D, then entering a valid Administrator account, results in "The computer is locked. Only the signed-in user can unlock the computer."

I am happy to provide additional clarity and entertain suggestions for overcoming these behaviors.

Cheers!

Friday, February 24, 2017 6:43 PM

Answers

• As a follow-up, to maybe help others.  The 'issue' is that assigned access, while stated to do so, does not work terribly well using a domain account.  In fact it breaks completely (i.e. will not run at all) starting with 1607.  The only account that will work completely as advertised are local accounts.

Hope this helps others.

• Marked as answer by DSwift Monday, April 30, 2018 3:42 PM
    Monday, April 30, 2018 3:42 PM

All replies

• Hi DSwift,

For the first question, do you mean that the app won`t start when we restart the machine and input the credential directly but it will start automatically after we pressed "Ctrl+Alt+Delte" then input the credential?
    Have you forced the "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" gpo? Are there any error messages recorded in the Event Viewer(Windows Logs\Applications, Applications and Services\Microsoft\Windows\Apps)?

For the second question, you want to remove the assigned access for the user or just want to switch the user account?

If you just want to switch the user, we should choose "Switch user" after we pressed "Ctrl+Alt+Delete".
    If you want to remove the assigned access for the user, we should restart the machine then login with an administrator account then remove the configuration here.
    Settings\Accounts\Other people\Set up assigned access

Please share the app you have configured for assigned access, I will test on my side.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 27, 2017 1:40 AM
  • Responses in-line below:

Hi DSwift,

For the first question, do you mean that the app won`t start when we restart the machine and input the credential directly but it will start automatically after we pressed "Ctrl+Alt+Delte" then input the credential?

YES

Have you forced the "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" gpo? Are there any error messages recorded in the Event Viewer(Windows Logs\Applications, Applications and Services\Microsoft\Windows\Apps)?

YES

For the second question, you want to remove the assigned access for the user or just want to switch the user account?

Switch the user account (e.g. logon as administrator to perform some operation that requires physical access, such as screen calibration)

If you just want to switch the user, we should choose "Switch user" after we pressed "Ctrl+Alt+Delete".

See above; autologon GPO; switch user simply re-logs on the autologon user

If you want to remove the assigned access for the user, we should restart the machine then login with an administrator account then remove the configuration here.
    Settings\Accounts\Other people\Set up assigned access

Not the goal

Please share the app you have configured for assigned access, I will test on my side.

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by DSwift Monday, February 27, 2017 2:19 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2017 2:18 PM
  • Hi DSwift,

How did you configure the autologon?

If it is possible, please remove the autologon and "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" gpo then check the symptom again. I didn`t configure those gpo and the assigned access worked well on my side.

Best regards

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 7:37 AM
  • Let's focus on the assigned access app not "auto starting"  upon assigned user logon.

After the assigned access user logs on, the screen locks (as expected), however, the assigned app does not automatically start.  I must perform one of the following:

• C-A-D, then approx. 15 or so minutes later, the app starts
    • C-A-D, then select "Switch user".  Because we are forcing autologon, the auto logon user logs on again and the app starts.

Let me know if this makes senses and any suggestions anyone can offer.

Cheers!

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 11:49 PM
  • Hi DSwift,

As I pointed out before, I didn`t configure autologon and "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" and the assigned access app will work well. So I think those configurations may be related to this issue. If it is possible, please test without those configurations then check the symptom again.

In addition, the following Event Viewer(Applications and Services\Microsoft\Windows\Assigned-access, AssignedAccessBroker) should have more information to troubleshoot this issue.

Best regards

Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:48 AM
  • Yes, auto-logon is set per the best practices for assigned access.

Here is AssignedAccessBroker/Admin - immediately following:

The description for Event ID 30000 from source Microsoft-Windows-AssignedAccessBroker cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.The following information was included with the event: my.app!App
    The handle is invalid

Also, the AssignedAccess/Admin - immediately following assignedaccess of the app

The description for Event ID 10003 from source Microsoft-Windows-AssignedAccess cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

user guid

The handle is invalid

These immediately follow execution of the app - which, as I indicated earlier, is not starting automatically following a restart.  The devices go to the lock screen (auto logon is working fine) and no app start.  To trigger the app, someone must  perform C-A-D and wait or force it by switch user.

I hope this adds clarity.

• Marked as answer by DSwift Monday, March 6, 2017 12:54 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by DSwift Monday, March 6, 2017 12:59 PM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:15 PM
  • Hi DSwift,

Have you tested with other machines or accounts?

I tried to configue the "Autologon" and "Ctrl+Alt+Delete". The "AssignedAccess app" feature could work well.
    According to the error, please open an administrator powershell command line and run "Get-AppXPackage  -allusers|Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}"
    Try to test with a new account. Login with account firstly to get a default user profile for the new account then configure the assigned access app feature.

Best regards

Friday, March 3, 2017 8:41 AM
  • The suggested PS command is not really in the right neighborhood as the app does work as an assigned access app on multiple devices - the app simply does not start on it's own after reboot.  The PS command suggests the app may not have been appropriately installed.  Again, the app works as designed in and of itself

However, I do see some merit that there may be some issue with my app.  It is a in-house developed and side-loaded app.  I will investigate.

Unfortunately, the direction this thread has been headed has not yielded anything fruitful.  Marking as "answered" - though not resolve.  Will continue the search off this thread.

Thanks for your contribution!

• Marked as answer by DSwift Monday, March 6, 2017 1:00 PM
    • Edited by DSwift Monday, March 6, 2017 1:02 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by DSwift Monday, April 30, 2018 3:40 PM
    Monday, March 6, 2017 12:59 PM
  • As a follow-up, to maybe help others.  The 'issue' is that assigned access, while stated to do so, does not work terribly well using a domain account.  In fact it breaks completely (i.e. will not run at all) starting with 1607.  The only account that will work completely as advertised are local accounts.

Hope this helps others.

• Marked as answer by DSwift Monday, April 30, 2018 3:42 PM
    Monday, April 30, 2018 3:42 PM