none
MDT and XenServer drivers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have following

1x Server 2012 with MDT 2013

We are currently using xenserver as the hypervisior and I'm tying to use MDT to deploy virtual servers.

I have extracted the drivers for xenserver from the xentools msi's and added them as out-of-box drivers. I've created a selection profile, added an inject drivers step to my task sequence before the Format and Partition disk step. However each time it gets to that step it fails as it can't find the disk. I also added the drives on the WinPE tabs (both x64 and x86) and updated the deployment share after all the changes.

As a test I went back to WDS and used a vanilla boot.wim file from a Server 2012r2 disc using this I can boot and install an OS. Having found the log smsts.log I was able to find that it is failing on the inject drivers task. So I thought about using DSIM to add the drivers to the lite_touch images just to make sure they are there (not sure if this would break anything in MDT though?) Although that doesn't solve the why its not working in the first place problem. I'd rather solve that if possible

Any of suggestions would be welcome

Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:01 PM

All replies

• I don't follow, what's the question?

Is this SCCM or Litetouch? What version of the ADK (What is the path to the boot.wim file)?

You "also added the drives on the WinPE tabs", don't you mean "Drivers"?

Your LitetouchPE image is responsible for three things: a) Getting access to the local target hard disk b) getting access to the source deployment share (either over the network, or via media drive c) running scripts to lay down the source on the target. 

If you suspect the machine can't access the local hard disk, break into the command prompt and investigate: F8 --> diskpart.exe --> list disk, list volume, select disk 0

IF you suspect the machine can't access the network, break into the command prompot and investigate: F8 --> ipconfig /all --> net use * \\server\deploymentshare$ /u:domain\user * --> type c:\windows\system32\wpeinit.log

If you still need help, please post the logs to a public site like onedrive and share the results here.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Thursday, August 21, 2014 11:30 PM
  • Sorry I could of been clearer.

No sccm, just mdt and wds. 

Yes I did mean drivers not drives on the winpe tab.

I have managed to progress this by actually removing the inject drivers step in the task sequence. It turns out this step was failing and therefore failing the process. I'm wondering why the inject drivers stage failed with the following screen

Friday, August 22, 2014 11:23 AM
  • Can you please post the bdd.log to a public site like OneDrive and share the link here.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Friday, August 22, 2014 8:13 PM