Moving Sharepoint 2007 database from SQL2000 to SQL2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Seen a few other threads regarding this, but not seen a definitive solution...

We have 2 Front end servers and an indexing server running Sharepoint 2007.  They currently point to a satandalone SQL2000 box.  I wish to move the databases to a SQL2005 cluster.

Has anyone achieved this, and if so, what method you do adopt?

Thanks

Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Dooley,

There is a very good Technet article you can follow - make sure you follow the section "To move all databases to a database server that has a different name" there.

Note there is a very confusing line "The new database server must use the same version of Windows Server and SQL Server as the old database server"in this article (NOT sure why)- just ignore that. I works fine otherwise - I myself tested this :-).

Hope this helps!

BlueSky2010
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:30 PM
  • Thanks, I had seen that one but with what it said about it being the same version it did throw me!  In terms of rolling back if it goes wrong I need a strong plan.  The sharepoint boxes themselves are on VM's and I won't actually delete the DB from the SQL2000 box so I am thinking I should be able to just roll the servers back in the event of a disaster...
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:34 PM
  • Yea - once your dbs are restored in the target box - make them offline in the original box.
    BlueSky2010
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:31 PM
  • Having looked through the process it is very complex, could there be an easier solution by upgrading the SQL2000 box to 2005 first then shifting the database?  The step which involves moving logins and passwords between the sql 2000 server and the sql 2005 looks nasty for someone who isn't a sql admin...
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:26 AM