none
Hyper-V migration not working

Question

• Hello,

I have two server installations. One is a Windows Server 2012 R2, one a 2016. Both are running Hyper-V.

They are part of a cluster that was created with the 2012 server. Two VMs are running on the 2016er.

I'm now trying to migrate the VMs to the 2012er. Allow live migration is activated on both servers. The VMs are stored on the cluster shared volume, which can be accessed by both servers. I try to migrate only the computer, not the files, as I only want to switch which server is running the VMs.

What I select
    Action: "migrate"
    Migration type: "migrate virtual computer"
    Migrating options: "only migrate virtual computer" (does not change the location for all the elements)

When I try to start the migration, the following error pops up:

"Error while migration procedure on "TEST-VM
    The procedure is not supported."

I googled, but I did not find anything. What could be the problem?

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 1:55 PM

Answers

• Hello Irolan, 

Are you doing it from Hyper-V manager? In case both of them part of the cluster, you should migrate VM from Failover Cluster manager. 

• Marked as answer by Irolan Friday, January 20, 2017 11:45 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hello Irolan, 

Are you doing it from Hyper-V manager? In case both of them part of the cluster, you should migrate VM from Failover Cluster manager. 

• Marked as answer by Irolan Friday, January 20, 2017 11:45 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:43 PM
  • Have you allowed migration to a system with a different processor type?

If from the HyperV manager, make sure HyperV is opened and migration started from the source server.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

• Edited by Miguel Fra Tuesday, January 17, 2017 4:13 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 4:12 PM
  • Ok, first of all, it is set to allow migration to different processor types. I know that it could cause compatibility issues if that's turned off.

I checked on migrating the VMs using the failover cluster manager instead of the hyper-v management console, but I wouldn't know how to do that. The failover cluster manager is not tied in with the hyper-v manager as far as I can tell.

So I tried it again and suddenly it worked. Another atempt then failed. It seems to work sometimes and sometimes not, with two possible errors occurring. If it doesn't work, it's always with the 2012 as source and 2016 as destination. I notice that migrating from 2016 to 2012 is done within an instant, while it takes forever from 2012 to 2016 (first about 5-10 minutes until it asks for the destination virtual switch, then another 10 or so minutes until it's done).

The errors may occur when migrating a running VM as well as a VM that's turned off.

The first possible error that pops up is:

"Error during migration for the virtual computer at the migration target.

Error while searching for the specified virtual computer at the migration target.

The saved state of the virtual computer at source and destination is not consistent."

The other error that may occur is:

"Error during migration for the virtual computer at the migration source.

Error while establishing a connection with the host: element not found.

Error while establishing a connection, because the target host has refusedthe connection: element not found."

• Edited by Irolan Wednesday, January 18, 2017 2:10 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 12:54 PM
  • Hi Irolan,

>>I checked on migrating the VMs using the failover cluster manager instead of the hyper-v management console, but I wouldn't know how to do that.

In failover cluster manager, right click roles and right click on the VM, choose Move.

>>If it doesn't work, it's always with the 2012 as source and 2016 as destination. I notice that migrating from 2016 to 2012 is done within an instant, while it takes forever from 2012 to 2016

I'm not sure if it is supported to migrate from 2012 to 2016 since I'm not able to find related information. I would wait for later official documents.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:19 AM
  • Ok, I added the Test-VM as a role. However, as soon as I start the migration, it says under information "The process was not complete for the ressource "virtual computer". Choose the action "information details" to show the results for the ressource."

I do that, but it shows "No events were found".

Edit: Ok, that was a problem with the virtual switches being named differently. Migration via failover cluster seems to actually work.
    • Edited by Irolan Thursday, January 19, 2017 12:36 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:42 AM
  • One of the first debug tools available to you is the cluster validation wizard.  This is not only a tool to be run before you create the cluster, but a great tool to run whenever you are experiencing some sort of issue on the cluster.  It checks hundreds of things on the cluster and will alert you to anything it finds out of the ordinary.  Obviously, if it reports an error, you have to fix it.  If you get an error, you most likely have a non-working cluster.  Warnings are where this issue would have shown up. Any warning received needs to be investigated.  Some warnings can be explained away due to the configuration, but others are things that should be addressed.  Running the validation wizard as soon as you determined live migration was not working would have pointed you to this issue right away.

Of course, 20/20 hindsight makes it all seem easier. :)

. : | : . : | : . tim

Thursday, January 19, 2017 1:27 PM
  • Ok, so the original problem is apparently a Hyper-V thing. Maybe because of different versions.

Adding the VM as a cluster role and migrating it via the failover cluster manager actually seems to work perfectly. I've migrated it back and forth several times now and it always succeeds. The long duration problem, as well as the errors, do no longer occur.

It also has the advantage that I can perform the migration from any computer that's part of the cluster.

I'll run a few more tests to see if I can confirm this, but doing the migration via failover cluster manager seems to do the trick.

• Proposed as answer by Miguel Fra Thursday, January 19, 2017 3:58 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 3:52 PM
  • Any time you have a cluster installed, the first tool you should use is the cluster manager.  It communicates with the underlying tools, but if something is done in a 'lower level' tool (Hyper-V manager (HM)), it is not always reflected properly in the 'higher level' tool (Failover cluster manager (FCM)).  This goes a step farther if you have System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) installed.  First use SCVMM, then try FCM, then try HM.  The cluster software is designed to work with Hyper-V 2012 R2 and 2016.  The 2012 R2 HM tool was never instrumented to work to a 2016 Hyper-V machine.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:28 PM
  • Yes, it appears so.

I tested several times and it seems to work fine. I still can't migrate VMs created on the 2016er, but I suppose that's just a lack of upward compatibility.

So using the failover cluster manager to migrate is the solution.

Thank you everyone for your time and help.

Friday, January 20, 2017 11:48 AM