Windows Vista hourly shutdown - why? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a strange one on our home desktop which is running Windows Vista. The computer shuts down on the hour (about 41 - 45 minutes past the hour to be exact) very suddenty and automatically reboots. We are not sure what is causing it but would appreciate any suggestions. Sometimes it will stay up for a few days and then the behavior starts again. Needless to say it is a nuisance with Outlook and money files corrupting when it does this.

I read in another thread to load the Vista Reliability Monitor and it does show "disruptive shutdown" repeatedly under Miscellaneous Failures but doesn't report any application, hardware or Windows failures.I'm not sure what else to look for.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:44 PM

All replies

• The Error

Recently, every hour, exactly on the hour, I was locked into watching Vista do a Restart (the error). This merry-go-round would result in an unwanted Restart into Vista’s “Windows Error Recovery” environment, and then an automatic boot back to the desktop.

The Discovery

Over two hair-pulling days, I was able to isolate the error to BIOS settings for the chassis fans which are controlled by APCI (Advanced Configuration Power Interface, see:   http://www.acpi.info/  )

The Solution

Resolve this nasty by doing an Intel or Gateway BIOS update.

The Resources

Intel's DP35DP BIOS Update can be found here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Filter_Results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2782&OSFullname=OS+Independent&strOSs=38

Gateway GM5478 BIOS fix here:

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=21696&dscr=Schroeder%20Town%20Motherboard%20BIOS%20Update%20version:%20DPP3510J.15A.0296&uid=18547559

If That Wasn't Clear Enough

There is a more detailed 'how to' in a post by me below, dated 01 December 2007. That post lists the above resources, and details on how to be doing a BIOS update to be fixing the issue.

Un-Necessary But Generally Nice To Know Information

There are usually no device errors displayed within Vista's Device Manager, and Task Manager does not display any running Applications or errant processes. Every hour Vista’s Reliability Monitor within Computer Management adds another vacuous error message: "Disruptive Shutdown 6.0.6000 The computer was not shut down properly".

For me, the error would occur whether I was running at near idle or whether I was grinding out a stress test consuming 90% of system resources (started some 40mins before hand). The error would happen in all modes (i.e. Start Vista Normally, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with DOS Prompt, and Safe Mode with Networking). I was able to infer from this that it was not a hardware fault, or some rogue third-party software, or an automatic enabled service running at start up. I double-checked my assumptions by doing things like typing "services.msc" at a Run prompt, to check the running services. Nothing.

Changing the system’s real-time clock (from within Vista) did NOT force the error to happen on the hour, and this gave me my first real clue to the presence of a timing module, all be it one not linked to BIOS time. That is, I went looking for an independent timing device that counts out an hour, and then does something to the hardware. This preliminary assumption was half-baked and only a little bit right.

Then I noticed just prior to the error happening, the chassis fans would slightly increase in revs. This was a subtle but significant hardware indication of what was really going on.

My Intel DP35DP board, uses something called the Wired for Management (WfM) specification and a related specification called Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI). WfM and ACPI give the operating system direct control over the power management and Plug and Play functions of a computer. ACPI is implemented in the BIOS and Vista requires a compliant set of ACPI to run (the current specification runs to just over 600 pages). ACPI is a powerful yet helpful tool in an energy hungry world and on my board, Intel’s implementation of ACPI manages all three fan-sensing inputs that check: fan activity, quiet system fan system control and voltage sensing to detect out-of-range values.

Well to cut a long story short, Vista has had a long and tortured history with various implementations of ACPI (just Google that sucker) and when I experimented with the fan settings in the BIOS I just discovered what worked for my system configuration. It was a temporary bandaid fix that worked for others too, and I hoped it would help some of the afflicted. Things were fine for a while with my BIOS fan settings set to Processor Zone Response "Aggressive", Processor Zone Damping "High" and Automatic Fan Detect "Always".

The Final Word

A permanent fix to the Shutdown problem for DP35DP boards (and associated Intel motherboards running Vista) is possible by flashing the BIOS. Again, see the 'how to' post dated 01 December 2007 below, and before that some techinical and peripheral geeky 'nice to know' stuff on the discovery to the solution. See the post by me on 07 November 2007.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 12:48 PM
  • Thank you.  I bought a Gateway GM5478 and it was great for about 3 weeks, then I also had the problem-every hour on the hour.  It went away for 2 weeks after loading the latest Vista updates, but then came back.  Changing the BIOS settings for the fan did the trick so far.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 5:40 AM
  • I have the same GM5478 machine.  I've been following a thread at http://www.castlecops.com/p1010228-not_so_random_vista_32bit_restarts.html and actually posted this thread over there.  The BIOS fan settings described above seemed to fix my problem at first, but 2 weeks (I think 15 days to be exact based on the event log) later, it's happening again today.  It's been every hour on the hour for the last 3 hours.  Do you have any other suggestions I can try.  Reading the forum posting with all the other users who have the same symptom and this one seems to suggest it's some sort of software issue - the timings would suggest it's not hardware.  What can be happening every hour on the dot to make this happen so consistently?
    Tuesday, October 30, 2007 9:54 PM
  •  

I was the one who first posted this and just to add to they "mystery", It seems to be a monthly occurence for about a day and then stops. Hourly reboots at about 40 - 50 mins past the hour and then stops for another month. SO curious.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2007 9:57 PM
  • I am not a techie and do not want to have to mess around with fan settings, bios, etc. i say we start a petition for Gateway to either come up with a very simple solution or refund our money.  This issue seems to be associated with only one model in particular and therefore should be recalled.  How many months do you guts want to fool around trying to fix this issue while your warranty runs out? 

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 7:02 PM
  • How do we go about starting a petition?
    Thursday, November 1, 2007 6:34 AM
  • There are many online sites(petitiononline) which would make the process simple enough.  I think we just need to agree on the problem and what should be included.  There are some basic templates.  If we can get a common list of problems, and also try to find as many people with this problem as possible, we should be able to get this off the ground.

Thursday, November 1, 2007 3:01 PM
  • The problem is more widespread than that.  I have a custom computer, I built it myself from buying parts seperately online.  I have an Intel DP35DP motherboard, and I don't even run Windows, I use Ubuntu Linux, and I have the same problem.  If anything, our complaints should be addressed to Intel.  Gateway just distributes the hardware, Intel is the one whose firmware is problematic.  (BTW, I used the solution posted, and it's working so far.  just started having problems this weekend)

just trying to direct the energy in the proper direction
    Monday, November 5, 2007 11:25 PM
  • Hey you have a point.  Do you mean that after the update you havent xperienced any probs....or that you applied update and probs started up again.  Also if i buy a pizza and get rotten mushrooms, i dont go to the farmer and and complain but to the pizza parlor.  And all im saying is i bought a prebuilt comp to avoid these exact issues and that a company should stand behind their product 100%.  I have had computer for over a month with many a shutdowns and restarts(not what i paid for). Also i noticed the problem usually occurs if i use media center(if that helps any)..... well im all about the solution and not the problem so if anyone has some good news im all ears.  in the meantime im sending computer back to gateway(which still says that they never heard of this problem "especially" with this model.) and have fingers crossed that after a month in a half i will have a computer that can fulfill its most basic functions, mainly staying on.  Which maybe raises another point if we direct our energy towards gateway maybe they can use their resources to fix prob, or at least document it. Not trying to be argumentative but thats my 2 cents. 

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 7:14 PM
  • Dear brue68 at Microsoft's TechNet (and others on other forums),

Thanks for confirming that V1SDIE is not just specific to Vista because it appears on Ubuntu Linux too.

On 23 October 2007, Intel posted its "BIOS Upgrage 0297" at the following link:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2782&OSFullName=Windows+Vista*+32&lang=eng&strOSs=164&submit=Go%21

OR

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/DP35DP/index.htm

By implementing 0297 Intel has quietly removed the "fan detection feature" in the BIOS.

Possibly is will re-introduce a technically proficient implementation after Microsoft releases Vista's first Service Pack. 

Intel's PDF document release notes for DP35DP, DG33TL, DG33BU, and DG33FB (Standard BIOS) boards  can be found here: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/14728/ENG/DP_0297_ReleaseNotes.pdf

I know this does not fix the Gateway GM5478 problem, but Gateway might like to look at a whether a BIOS fix will help.

Hopefully forum poster gatewayhater (on TechNet) will get a full-and-frank answer from Gateway after they inspect his machine (which appears will be returned to Gateway under warranty).

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 9:42 AM
  • Hey brue68,

would you happen to have a Q6600 Intel Core2 Quad processor in your Linux box?

I too have a DP35DP, and mine has a Q6600 with a chip feature called THERMTRIP.

I found this, in the documentation for the Quad core (quote):

AK12. Programming the Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS) Threshold May Cause Unexpected Thermal Interrupts

Problem: Software can enable DTS thermal interrupts by programming the thermal threshold and setting the respective thermal interrupt enable bit. When programming DTS value, the previous DTS threshold may be crossed. This will generate an unexpected thermal interrupt.

Implication: Software may observe an unexpected thermal interrupt occur after reprogramming the thermal threshold.

Workaround: In the ACPI/OS implement a workaround by temporarily disabling the DTS threshold interrupt before updating the DTS threshold value.

Status: For the steppings affected, see the Summary Tables of Changes.

(unqoute)

ftp://download.intel.com/design/processor/specupdt/31559318.pdf

When you combine the absence of the DTS workaround with the following, things start to become clearer (quote):

The digital thermometer is the basis for software thermal control such as the ACPI. In the ACPI infrastructure, thermal management is done by assigning a set of policies or actions to temperature thresholds. A policy can be active, such as activating fan in various speeds (_ACx), or passive (_PSV), by reducing the CPU frequency. Interrupt thresholds are defined to indicate upper and lower temperatures thresholds.

(unquote)

http://documents.irevues.inist.fr/bitstream/2042/6579/1/TMI23.pdf

Intel has since released BIOS updates that sort of correct these issue - to some extent by cutting out the offending functionality altogether. To do an Intel BIOS update see my post below dated 01 December 2007.
    Wednesday, November 7, 2007 1:27 PM
  • I have an E6750, dual core, but they may both have that feature, I have not really looked, lol.

@gatewayhater - while yes, in your analogy the pizza vendor would be most appropriate, that would not really apply in this case, as the manufacturer is responsible for the BIOS firmware.  Individual vendors can not be expected to hold a product and run it for months waiting for a bug to appear.  Bug detection is the responsibility of the developers, not the vendors.  I hope you get a replacement that works, though.  no one should be forced to put up with this.

edit:  the problem did not reappear, I meant that it first demonstrated at the time of posting.  sorry for the confusion.  >_>
    Monday, November 12, 2007 1:55 AM
  • Was there ever any concensus as to whether the bios ugrade is the fix for the hourly reboot with a DP35DP motherboard and a quad core CPU?  It sounded like just changing fan settings wasnt a perm fix as one user reported that the problem eventually came back.  This is a serious problem for me right now.  I'm leaning toward the bios upgrade.  Anyone else agree?

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 2:58 AM
  • I did the BIOS update just to be sure and have had no problems since.  The update installed flawlessly.  I hope this is helpful.
    Friday, November 30, 2007 8:36 AM
  • Yes, it is very helpful thanks.   Actually I went ahead and did the bios upgrade myself a couple of days ago.  Fortunately the bios upgrade retained all the original settings.  I had like the first BIOS version, so what I was using was pretty dated.  So far I have had no restarts so I am cautiously optimistic.  I say cautiously because I have seen this problem go away after a VISTA update and come back a few weeks later.  Lets keep our fingers crossed.  This is a truly a nasty problem.

Thanks again for the post.

Friday, November 30, 2007 4:05 PM
  • In my experience, the Vista (Business & Ultimate) one hour shutdown problem can be consistantly and permanently resolved on Intel DP35DP motherboards mounted with Quad Q6600 CoreDuo processors. This may not be a universal experience for other DP35DP owners.

The problem is resolved by applying a motherboard BIOS update.

Although this post specifically targets how to do BIOS updates on DP35DP mainboards with Q6600's, in a wider sense it can be used with care for other boards like Intel's DG33TL, DG33BU, and DG33FB variants and various other CoreDuo processors. At a stretch, it can also be used as a general awareness guide for work on GM5478's if you can source an appropriate BIOS update for your motherboard. From Gateway, start with this link (other BIOS versions may be available after you source this fix):
    http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=21696&dscr=Schroeder%20Town%20Motherboard%20BIOS%20Update%20version:%20DPP3510J.15A.0296&uid=18547559

More than once I have successfully run a small downloadable "Express BIOS Update" .exe file from Intel, described by them as their preferred BIOS update method. Where do you get the latest DP35DP BIOS update? Intel motherboard owners should try here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Filter_Results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2782&OSFullname=OS+Independent&strOSs=38

In total there are 5 BIOS update methods available from Intel for the Intel DP35DP board (only 4 are listed in the website download area). I suppose 4 of those 5 update methods should remain the domain of the more technically minded unless you have a special reason for doing it one particular way. For example, a special reason can be something like your Operating System is flakey and is prone to crashing on you, so running an .exe file to update a BIOS in these circumstances is just plain madness. The update method we want is the one executable from within Windows.

I have had no problems running the prefered .exe updates (v0297 and then v0305). Both .exe files ran and installed the sequential updates flawlessly (on several occassions on various boards). After it is downloaded, the current "Express BIOS Update" can be started from within Vista by mouse clicks. All you have to do after that is sit back with popcorn and watch the show. Vista reboots and eventually you will be presented with a dialog box indicating that it was successful. Resist the urge to do anything until you get that small dialog box. User intervention is trivial except for the popcorn making. You should only have to run the latest-and-greatest update, the theory being that each update is a incremental improvement to eliminate previous blunders.

Firstly, I ran the v0297 fix for the fan issue, not because it was documented with that fix in mind, but because it was the only version available at that time. Since v0297, Intel has gone on to release v0305 and v0326, etc.I have since run those updates too.

Intel warns that you should only ever do a BIOS update for a blunder that you can't live with, which is really about risk managment by reducing your exposure to many updates. Doing an update is fundamentally a risky practice for a number of reasons. Chances are that other BIOS versions will be released after this post and you would be wise to stick with that latest-and-greatest implementation (what ever number it is at the time). Whether you are a risk taker and implement each and every update is up to you, Intel will say you shouldn't.

I am a self-declared tragic when it comes to BIOS updates, so I had a standby workstation ready to go onto the Internet, and I pre-read the instructions after printing the disaster procedure BEFORE the update (yes really). Because I diagnose and repair complex computer faults I am aware that this may catagorizes me as a 'nerd', but I didn't file BIOS related documents alphabetically after each burn.

In keeping with Intel's advice, I too run all BIOS updates with the computer connected to a properly functioning UPS (un-interruptable power supply). That is, a UPS that can keep the box supplied with power for at least 20 minutes, in case the local power station goes into meltdown. This usually means a UPS rated at twice 20 minutes (40 minutes). Why? Because experience has taught that unless you have magic batteries, or a pristine UPS, it is probable that as you approach the half-drained mark the UPS supply field will collapse (as it starts to struggle to keep the voltage up). If you do not have a UPS, then I suppose you should never do a BIOS update in the vicinity of workmen on the powerlines outside, down the road, or during a thunderstorm, or during peak usage times when you can expect wall voltage fluctuations. UPS protection drastically lessens the chances of fragging the burn where you get owned by a power outage during the process. All is not lost if this happens.

There is a last-ditch factory reset recovery strategy in the very rare cases where the Gods deem your BIOS upgrade should go horrribly wrong and end in tears. For DP35DP owners, it requires that you open your case and move the BIOS jumper on the motherboard, and that you already have a pre-burnt BIOS recovery CD waiting (see link below for details on burning the CD-ROM). DP35DP owners are probably aware that your board does NOT have support for a floppy drive, so don't do that. By following the link below, you can prepare a last-ditch recovery CD before attempting your update (especially if it is your only CD-ROM burning machine), anything less is like going to war with a broomstick - great until you get into a serious exchange where you have to defend your position. In the end I didn't need my recovery CD, but it was there.

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-023360.htm

And where are the detailed instructions on doing an Intel BIOS update? Instructions hidden here:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/14878/ENG/BIOS%20Update%20Readme.pdf

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-022312.htm

What about other funky stuff for the Intel DP35DP motherboard? Resources hidden here:

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/DP35DP/index.htm

Saturday, December 1, 2007 7:28 AM
  • I've custom built about two dozen computers with the following specs:

Intel DG33FB motherboard

Intel C2D 6550 CPU

2GB Corair Value 667 RAM

Antec NSK4480 chassis

Samsung 80GB SATA HDD

Samsung DVDRW SATA CDROM

Out of those 20+ PCs, I've had the hourly reboot issue on 4 of them - all are loaded with Vista Business. The computers with XP on them are fine, although this may just be a coincidence. In each case bar one, I've fixed the error by reloading the motherboard inf drivers. I'm still getting the error on one PC. Each time it exhibits the problem, I reload the inf, graphics, sound, NIC drivers and the problem will disappear for a week or two. It will then come back and the cycle starts again.

I will be performing a BIOS update to version 0305 today.

This is a very serious problem and should be acknowledged in detail by Intel.

Monday, December 3, 2007 2:26 AM
  • When I talked to Intel on the phone last week they wont even acknowledge the problem.  They just said flash the bios first and then call us back if you are still having problems.

I'm betting that the problem will return on all of your vista machines (at least) if you dont flash the bios.

Monday, December 3, 2007 2:32 AM
  •  

I'm also having the same problem with an Intel DP35DP.  About once a month, it'll start rebooting exactly every hour.  This happens for a day or so, then it fixes itself.

Unfortunately, this is my Home Theater PC with a Digital Cable Tuner.  If I just go out and update the BIOS, it'll break my Digital Cable Tuner, which requires a special OCUR-enabled version of the BIOS.

I made the fan settings changes recommended earlier in this thread, and it was no help in the current bout of reboots I'm having.

Hopefully I can get Velocity Micro to send me an updated BIOS...

Friday, December 14, 2007 10:48 PM
  • I flashed mine around Nov. 28th and have had no more issues since then.  It also seemed to fix some other flakely issues with power management like machine not going to sleep and/or waking when it should.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the fflash fix holds.

Friday, December 14, 2007 10:56 PM
  • I have a quad core gateway gt5628I which I bought 2 months ago and I have had irreguar shutdowns 6.0.6000 one a week maybe. Now today It starts happening every hour at 4 min past the hour. This is the second one I've had the first one never booted and I was given a display model ( one month on display) at Best Buy, gone over by Geek squad. I went to my power saver options, ( Under power options in the control panel.) selected balanced under prefered plans, and I noticed the computer set to go to sleep every hour Under change plan settings. I changed that to five hours, and my system has not shut down since...coinsidence maybe but its not shutting down because it's just now four after and if it shuts down I will not finish this paragraph allright it made it to five after and no shut down hope this works for someone else. Knock on plasic wood.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:05 PM
  • I have changed power managment settings and had it temporarily elimnate the shutdowns.  I believe changing power management functions alters the problem but doesnt perm fix it.  If the power mgmt setting was actually causing the problem then keyboard adctivity should have still prevented it from shutting down every hour.

Its looking more like just simply flashing the BIOS to the most current version is the perm. solution.  That is if this gateway has the same intel motherboard?  I'm surprised the Geeks didnt pickup on that.  I would call them back and get them to flash it without charging you since that should have been on their checklist.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 4:07 PM
  •  millerbrad wrote:

I'm also having the same problem with an Intel DP35DP.  About once a month, it'll start rebooting exactly every hour.  This happens for a day or so, then it fixes itself.

Unfortunately, this is my Home Theater PC with a Digital Cable Tuner.  If I just go out and update the BIOS, it'll break my Digital Cable Tuner, which requires a special OCUR-enabled version of the BIOS.

I made the fan settings changes recommended earlier in this thread, and it was no help in the current bout of reboots I'm having.

Turns out that I was able to flash the BIOS on this machine without affecting the digital cable tuner.  The problem did solve itself shortly before I flashed the BIOS, so it'll be a month or so before I know if it really fixed the problem.

For what it's worth whenever the PC fixed itself, it was after it mysteriously went into Hibernation mode.  After waiting 3-5 minutes for it to finish waking up the next time I tried to use my PC, it was fine again.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:12 PM
  • After reading a couple of forums regarding this hourly reboot issue on my gm5478, I downloaded and applied bios update dpp3510j.86a.0326 from intel's website. Gateway website recommended downloading dpp3510j.15a.0261, which i already had. My computer is working fine now (a couple of weeks since updating my bios), except when I reboot manually, i get a message "The AA number has not been programmed on the system, press enter to continue". I'm guessing that the bios upgrade is not intended for my particular board but my computer seems to work fine, it hasn't rebooted by itself yet.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 4:55 PM
  • Hey jberthi2,

Intel states that: "Intel markets desktop boards into the retail channel and to various computer manufacturers known as OEMs (original equipment manufacturers). OEM's may further customize the desktop boards to their own specifications and may also integrate the boards with other system components such as a power supply, disk drive, software, and chassis. For this reason, Intel cannot support a desktop board distributed by an OEM. If you have an OEM board, you must contact the OEM directly or the place where you purchased your system for support. The OEM or the place of purchase will be most familiar with your configuration and its integration of both hardware and software."

Gateway is an OEM that futher modifies their motherboards, so using an Intel BIOS (basic input/output system) is dangerous to the normal operation of a Gateway modified mainboard. Error messages that an AA (or Altered Assembly) number is not programmed on the system indicate the motherboard has been altered by the OEM. The majority of PC motherboard suppliers like Gateway license a BIOS "core" and toolkit from commercial third-parties, known as an "independent BIOS vendor" or IBV (i.e. American Megatrends, Phoenix, Award, etc.). The motherboard manufacturer then customizes their licensed third-party BIOS to suit their own hardware. For this reason, updates of the BIOS are normally obtained directly from the motherboard manufacturer. Gateway owners should try this link to start with: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/dlcenter.asp

The Intel AA number can be used to identify which processors are compatible with Intel motherboards. A small white barcode label is usually found stuck on the component side of an Intel® Desktop Board (between the CPU and the RAM). The numbers following the letters "AA" are helpful in identifying the type and version of a particular Intel Desktop Board. This label is only present if you have an Intel manufactured board. The AA number is a 9-digit Intel part number used to differentiate between desktop board families, different configurations within a family, as well as revision history of the desktop board. Follow this link to identify which Intel motherboard you have.

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-010687.htm

The AA number is also very useful in identifying which minimum firmware code can be written into the motherboard's non-volitile memory, and what other firmware code can be successfully entered into that non-volitile memory after that. This type of memory does not 'forget' when the computer is turned off (like your RAM), it is limited and backed up by a small BIOS battery. Removing the BIOS battery will cause an update to 'fall out' because the chip will reset back to the factory preset, where the chip was 'burnt' with its initial production BIOS release code. This is generally known as a factory reset, or a more specifically a "BIOS Recovery". BIOS firmware can be said to be a coded program embedded on a chip and is sometimes refered to as microcode. Its said to be firm because it doesn't change until and update rewrites the chip. An Intel tool called the "Intel CompatibilityTool" can tell you which minimum BIOS version is compatible for your Intel motherboard. To start your journey towards Intel's tool go here: http://processormatch.intel.com/COMPDB/default.aspx And to locate a helpful document on the tool journey here:  http://processormatch.intel.com/COMPDB/HelpContents/CompDB_help.htm

For a better general education of what's up with BIOS, click the following link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS

Saturday, December 29, 2007 12:33 AM
  • Nice explanation.  Confims my decision this time to have my desktop custom configured with off-the-shelf componenets .  I have been bit by stuff like this more than once from branded PC's.

If I were jberthi2 and the machine seemed to be performing OK I sould probably leave it flashed at least until the time that Gateway could confirm that they have a BIOS that would correct the problem.  This is a really nasty problem to have to to endure.  I couldnt put up with it much longer without doing something drastic.  If it came back again I might consider replacing the motherboard with something else.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 1:40 AM
  • I have a GM5632E and started having this problem two days ago at exactly 6:30 am.  According to the event log the computer rebooted every hour all day long.  I noticed that some people have mentioned WMC as a possibly accessory in this problem.  This might be a coincidence but I remember getting a system tray notification that my program guide was being down loaded just prior to the problem starting.

I chatted with the Gateway tech and he wanted me to do a Vista reinstall.  I opted to just do a restore to a point just before this all started.  The computer has not rebooted in at least 12 hours.  Based on all the comments I'm reading on the web I'm not that confident this will be a permanent solution.  If it starts happening again I'm going for the bios flash.

I hope everyone keeps us updated on whether the bios flash is a permanent fix.
    Friday, January 18, 2008 11:59 PM
  • Its been almost two months now since I did the flash.  I beginning to think that I might actually have it licked.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 12:04 AM
  • Robart, I did the same thing originally but the reboot problem came back several weeks later. Restore points and driver updates only delayed the reboots.

Most of the 20 Intel DG33FB-based PC's that I have built have now been flashed to the latest BIOS and I have not had the problem since. None of the half-dozen PC's that exhibited the problem have reoffended, so I'd say this is definitely the fix. At the same time I run the BIOS upgrade, I also install the full suite of updated drivers - just as an added precaution.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 12:58 AM
  • Thanks Craeze and NCGuy.  I'll do the bio flash.
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:20 AM
  • I did the BIOS flash, and the problem still has not resurfaced.  I believe the BIOS update is the solution.

BTW, I'm dual-booting XP/Ubuntu Linux.  The problem affected both OSs equally.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 12:31 AM
  • For those with Gateways, specifically the 5632 and others with the same board, they did finally make mention of this hourly shutdown flaw and recommended the move to update:

BIOS to Intel® (Schroeder Town) G33 motherboard BIOS revision DPP3510J.15A.0296. Filename 9539095.exe

Strangely enough, they also mentioned this below:

Check to see if the computer has Trend Micro Anti-Virus and Web Spysweeper installed. If so, remove Web Spysweeper and then refer to the software supplier for support and resolution.

Have not heard from those that have tried these two solutions but it's the latest offer from factory support, although holding one's breath is a tough option for all involved...
    Monday, January 28, 2008 3:23 PM
  • Hi, I recently bought a Gateway gt5628 with a G33 motherboard, and as everybody else my computer started rebooting itself every now and then after getting a blue screen crash. One of the first things I did was to disable the automatic rebooting after stop errors so I could see what error messages I was getting. I got a lot of 0x000000D1 and 0x00000044.

I really dont know if its the same problem cause these crashes with blue screens are not that often like every hour, but its quite recurrent like once a day, and if I wouldnt have disabled the automatic rebooting the computer would just reboot without asking.

I remember I installed the bios driver you mention:
    BIOS to Intel® (Schroeder Town) G33 motherboard BIOS revision DPP3510J.15A.0296. Filename 9539095.exe

and the stop error 0x000000D1 had dissapeard so now my computer stop rebooting once a day, but the other 0x00000044 kept comming like once a month.

I thought just updating my drivers would fix these kinda problems so I just installed the latest bios driver from the gateway page:
    http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=21708&uid=18733597

After doing that the 0x000000D1 stop error came back once a day like before!!!

I tried going back to the DPP3510J.15A.0296 driver but that didnt solve it, now I'm getting the same crashes like the first day.
    I`m thinking once you update you cant go back entirely? Is that true...

Very sad...

I tried making a partition and installing Windows Xp but for some reason I cant install xp on this computer, I think the installation doesnt recognize the hard drive.

Heeelp.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:13 AM
  • I've seen it happen too with just Trend Micro.  Sad

I'll try to go ask TM later if they have a fix for this.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 2:43 PM
  •  millerbrad wrote:
     millerbrad wrote:

Turns out that I was able to flash the BIOS on this machine without affecting the digital cable tuner.  The problem did solve itself shortly before I flashed the BIOS, so it'll be a month or so before I know if it really fixed the problem.

For what it's worth whenever the PC fixed itself, it was after it mysteriously went into Hibernation mode.  After waiting 3-5 minutes for it to finish waking up the next time I tried to use my PC, it was fine again.

For what it's worth, after nearly 3 months, the problem has not resurfaced.  I'd say that the BIOS update is definitely the solution.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:45 PM
  • Just updating my situation.  It has been several months, now, and I am still free of problems. 

Ubuntu 8.04 comes out in just a few weeks!  w00t
    Monday, March 31, 2008 9:20 AM
  • I did the BIOS update from Gateway and it worked up until last month (may 08) there back and I don't know what to do short of thretning gateway with a fat lawsuit. I can towk like this

Saturday, June 14, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Eeek.  Mine hasnt come back.  Wonder if anyone else has had it return?  I really thought we had this one resolved.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 5:22 PM
  •  millerbrad wrote:

For what it's worth, after nearly 3 months, the problem has not resurfaced.  I'd say that the BIOS update is definitely the solution.

6 months since the BIOS flash.  Still no problems for me.  I'm confident the faulty BIOS was the problem in my case...

Sunday, June 15, 2008 1:22 AM
  • I am haveing the some problem with my Toshiba laptop. It has a AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 processor.  Will the Intel BIOS update work for this processor. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 6:33 PM
  • I believe the problem was BIOS and processor specific.  No you cant load an Intel BIOS upgrade on an AMD processor.  You may be having the same symptoms but the root cause is likely something else.  Unfortunately I think you are going to have to continue searching for a fix.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 2:10 PM
  • 1/5/09
    I'm currently having the same problem with hourly shut downs. It appears to come and go, sometimes I can go months before the hourly shut downs occur. It has happened on and off since I purchased my computer in  07/07. I have a Gateway GM5478 with Vista home premium 32 and an Intel core 2 processor.

Today Gateway gave me this bios update but didn't recommend doing it. I also found this additional link on the Intel site. The Gateway bios update is from 07/08, has anyone who has done that update found the problem has been resolved? Most the thread here suggested previous updates worked for a short period of time and then the problem reoccured. 

I have a 3 year service contact with Best Buy but last time this happened and I took it to them it wouldn't shut down and restart for them and they didn't suggest doing the bios update for me despite documentation of the problem from this site. I'm hesitant to update it myself as it may make my warranty invalid and I'm not totally sold that this is the final fix. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?now=1&id=21978&uid=219644146

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2774&OSFullName=Windows+Vista*+Home+Premium%2C+32-bit+version&lang=eng&strOSs=153&submit=Go%21#UTL
    Monday, January 5, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Someguy007 - Thank you, thank you, thank you... You just saved me from buying a new computer!
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:32 PM
  • Hi

Call me paranoid, but I have the same problem and believe it is not necessarily a BIOS problem.

This same problem began on my previous pc. As that was a 3-4 year old pc I decided that as the pc "seemed" to be getting hot and shutting down I thought it was time for a new pc. It did seem strange that it was almost on the hour every hour - almost to the second!

Anyway I purchased a new pc it happens to use a DP35DP mb. Now this pc has been working 100% ok until just yesterday. It began to shut down every hour on the hour, I've got approx 20 minutes before the next shut down. :)

Ok so as this pc is newer than the original poster's message I am assuming the BIOS is also newer, I have not actually checked the BIOS version as yet. Now this problem strikes me as very "ODD". It has happened on two of my pcs. Why "all of a sudden" should the BIOS be a problem when it has been absolutely fine for the previous 12 months of its life???

Now as I check the pc and examine the air temp when the pc is about to shut down the air is barely warm. If the cpu WAS hot then why would it allow a reboot and run PERFECTLY for the next hour??

As I use and have done for many years, Trend Micro AV I suspect it could be a contributing factor to the problem, I am going do disable the internet connection and then disable TM and see what happens.

I suspect the problem is software related somewhere, but as yet I cannot confirm this.

I'll report back soon - I hope. Well I had better post this message before the pc does its reboot

Kind regards

Peter
    Friday, January 8, 2010 2:57 AM
  • Hello again

Well this is curiouser and curiouser!!!

So, I tried disabling Trend Micro - didn't do anything.

Seeing this pc is currently set to dual boot Windows 7  I thought aha! I'll boot into W7 and prove it is a software problem within my XP os or system. Hmmm the same problem???

Ok, the next step was to check the BIOS settings etc. I noticed that the CPU fan rpm was 000 so I set the "detect fans" option for the next boot. This seemed to set the fan going again, 930 rpm. Even THIS did not stop the hourly reboot!

Ok, so what next? I'll call Intel. After a long wait I eventually spoke to an Intel "Engineer". We went through the usual scenario, BIOS settings, CPU type, speed etc, memory type, capacity etc, video card etc, etc.

Now through ALL of this Q & A about my system I maintained that up until YESTERDAY my system hardware AND software was working as it has done for the last 12 months! WHY did it change just yesterday???

The engineers suggestion was to install the new BIOS. Hmm? ok I will do that eventually BUT WHY do I have to do it now, I want to know WHY the system changed and what was the cause? I explained that this was the second pc on which this problem has occurred and I don't believe it is just something simple! I WANT TO KNOW WHY????

The Intel engineer could not offer any explanation and tried to suggest all kinds of reasons as to why this has happened. Mere mortals may have been bamboozled by such suggestions, but since I have been working with pcs since 1975 I could not be fooled by his ideas/suggestions :)

The engineer suggested I go to the Intel web site and check out the DP35DP overview. I don't really know why I would want to do this, however I did as he requested and went to the website.

Now for the BEST part! My pc has magically FIXED ITSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After visiting the web site and doing NOTHING except visiting the DP35DP overview web page the system HAS NOT rebooted itself. I left the pc on while I went out for a while expecting that it would have rebooted by the time I came back - but NO! After abot five hours the pc has not shutdown and rebooted itself.

So what is going on??

If I was paranoid before this started I am really paranoid now :) I have often wondered what really goes on behind the scenes with an internet connection. With all of the "LIVE" things and all of the update checks and automatic updates (which I have PERSISTENTLY REFUSED to allow on my pc) who is really in control of how my pc works??? It seems as though it is NOT ME!

At the moment I have NOT updated my original 2007 BIOS, it worked fine up until yesterday and I don't see why it should not be working just as well tomorrow.

So, for the time being I will leave the pc on for another few hours then shut it down until tomorrow and see how it goes then.

I'll keep you posted.

Kind regards

Peter

Friday, January 8, 2010 11:04 AM
  • Hello once again :)

Well it's day two since the "magic" happened. The pc is still 100% ok WITHOUT a BIOS update or ANY OTHER changes except as described above.

It really does seem to me that a visit to the DP35DP overview url has fixed the problem.

Why would I otherwise need/want to visit this web page? If I was having a problem I would normally search for a tech support or faults page.

Generally speaking a computers BIOS does not normally fail. It either works or not, not change itself to boot every hour. If this happened once or twice then maybe it could be a flaw in the BIOS chip, but to happen so many times would indicate a serious problem that should have been acknowledged by Intel. As stated above by others Intel have not acknowledged this as a problem - I find that curious that what seems to be a prolific problem does not have a well known solution other than to flash the BIOS.

I am a firm believer in the adage "If it's not broken then don't fix it" - I believe my pc's BIOS was NOT broken and did not require fixing (flashing) and the pc is by magic still working on the original "unbroken" (?) BIOS.

My next pc will NOT have an Intel motherboard.

Kind regards

Peter
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 12:38 AM
  • Hi there, it's me again (Peter Sanders)

Just another update (that nobody seems to read).

Well my pc decided to "spit the dummy" and started rebooting every hour exactly 1 hour apart - as has been noted before.

So, what did I do?

I visited the Intel website again. This time I was not told by the Intel support guy which links to use. So this time it took a couple of visits to the site. However the problem was once again resolved by ONLY visiting the site. NO upgrades or changes were made by me consciously that is. SOMETHING happens to the pc via Intel's website but I do not know what it is?

Kind regards

Peter
    Monday, February 15, 2010 9:27 AM
  • I am happy to see others are having this every hour restart!

What is the URL to the intel website you are referring to? Did you just visit that website and let the website do the work?

Thanks,

Bobby

Friday, May 28, 2010 2:28 PM