none
unable to configure dpm protection agent to sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to setup item level recovery through Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2010 for our new Sharepoint 2010 website.  
    So I have Sharepoint 2010 installed on a virtual vmware server (called sharepoint2010) and the databases are stored on a separate virtual vmware server (called SQLSERVER2008) which is running SQL 2008 R2.

I have installed the DPM agent on both servers & rebooted them.  Next I tried to run the ConfigureSharepoint.exe command on sharepoint2010 but received the following error:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin>configuresharepoint.exe -enablesharepointprotection
    Enter the user name for 'WSSCmdletsWrapper': Domain\username
    Enter the password for WSSCmdletsWrapper: *******

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

An error occurred while trying to start the Sharepoint Vss Writer.

I have checked the VSS service - it was set to manual so I tried starting it and re-running the command, but I am still getting the same error.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Is it because the databases are stored on a separate server?  They were on the same box before.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:28 AM

All replies

• This is a failure trying to start the SharePoint Vss Writer. We depend on sharepoint tools for this action.

Can you try the following.

1. Disable the SharePoint Vss Writer service and stop it completely.

2. Run stsadm -o unregisterwsswriter. stsadm.exe is a SharePoint tool which you'll find under %Program Files%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\14\bin.

Now try running ConfiguresharePoint.exe -enableSharePointProtection and see if it succeeds.

If you still run into the issue, you may check out if stsadm -o registerwsswriter is working or not. If that fails, probably there is some issue with your farm configuration. Please get in touch with sharepoint forums or contact microsoft support.

Regards, Deepan [This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.] [P.S. If the post answers your question or guides you about what you're looking for, please mark it as answered.]
    Friday, August 26, 2011 8:34 AM