none
Projects Performance issues RRS feed

• Question

• I run Projects 2016 on my laptop, I have been using it for as long as I can remember. Yesterday it started giving problems were I am unable to open any of my projects files. I can open the app just fine and start a new document, but opening existing documents is not possible.

As a test I loaded the files to a flash and opened them on another system, they opened fine and I was able to work.

One thing I noticed while opening said files is that Projects displays "Requesting virus scan..." on the bottom left and on the bottom right it shows "Leveling" at this point the app freezes up and I have to close it via Task Manager.

My Windows is up to date and have made sure that Projects is up to date.

Please assist.

Systems Administrator

Thursday, February 1, 2018 6:12 AM

All replies

• If it works from a USB key, you could try to save it as XML format, and then same the XML back to MPP format. It could resolve some cases of file corruption.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Thursday, February 1, 2018 8:43 AM
  • I'll give that a try and revert.

Systems Administrator

Thursday, February 1, 2018 8:52 AM
  • If it works from a USB key, you could try to save it as XML format, and then same the XML back to MPP format. It could resolve some cases of file corruption.

Hope this helps,

So saving the existing MPP to XML worked for one file but not the rest.

The issue is that all these MPP files were created from scratch and at some point they just stopped working.

So right now I can open the file and view it, as soon as I changed a resource and leveling takes place Projects crashes.

Systems Administrator

Thursday, February 1, 2018 9:29 AM
  • Can do deactivate the automatic leveling in the leveling options? It seems like the leveling is automatically started when you update an assignment and makes Project crash.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, February 1, 2018 9:36 AM
  • Agreed, but the leveling is required.

But still doesn't explain why the file works fine on other systems

Systems Administrator

Thursday, February 1, 2018 9:39 AM
  • Have you tried to repair MS Project from the control panel? Or even reinstalling it if the repair doesn't work?

Hope this helps,

Thursday, February 1, 2018 9:41 AM
  • I have, ran a repair and completely uninstalled

Systems Administrator

Thursday, February 1, 2018 9:42 AM
  • Have you tried to repair MS Project from the control panel? Or even reinstalling it if the repair doesn't work?

Hope this helps,

Have done some further testing.

Both my Office 2016 and Projects 2016 are Click-to-Run versions.

I uninstalled all of them and installed a Windows Installer based version of Project 2016.

The problem is gone.

Why would the Click-to-Run version have an issue?

Systems Administrator

Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:27 PM