Advice on OS and DPM upgrade scenario RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Right now I have 9 SCDPM 2010 servers on a Windows 2008R2 connecting to a SQL 2008 R2 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 with named instances per DPM server.

Here it comes: I want to migrate this to 9 SCDPM 2012SP1 servers on Windows Server 2012 with a local SQL 2012SP1.

I'm obviously very, very, very afraid to do this, because they are physical machines (so no snapshots) and there is about 450TB of storage attached that I definitely do not want to lose :)

Does anyone know of a safe migration path? I can only think right now of upgrading the DPM to 2012 SP1, upgrading the SQL to 2012SP1, storing the DBs somewhere safe, reinstall the OS (2012 now instead of 2008R2), reinstall DPM, add the disks back and reattach the DB. As I'm writing it, it doesn't sound like a good plan.

The cleanest would obviously be to have a new machine (with new storage) set-up to which I point the DPM agents from, say, SERVER1 and do the same for each and every server once the snapshots are obsolete. This way the migration would take more than a year, however, because retention is set to 64 days.

The wonder solution would be to be able to export stored data from one DPM server to another, but that is unfortunately not possible as far as I know with SCDPM 2007 - nor with 2012 (let's be honest about it: DPM is far from a finished product. Not important enough for Microsoft as opposed to, say, SCCM.)

So.... any advice on this would be very much appreciated. :)

Thank you in advance.

My grandmother always used to say: "::1: sweet ::1:"

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You pretty much covered your options. The only caveat is there is no direct upgrade path from DPM2010 to DPM2012-Sp1, you must first upgrade to DPM 2012, then upgrade again to DPM 2012-sp1.  This also means rollup fixes and DPM agent updates along the way.  It sounds like you will be busy for awhile.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 10:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You pretty much covered your options. The only caveat is there is no direct upgrade path from DPM2010 to DPM2012-Sp1, you must first upgrade to DPM 2012, then upgrade again to DPM 2012-sp1.  This also means rollup fixes and DPM agent updates along the way.  It sounds like you will be busy for awhile.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 10:44 PM
  • Thanks Mike, although I'm not sure if your answer is making me less afraid :)

My grandmother always used to say: "::1: sweet ::1:"

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 8:13 AM