Sharepoint 2007 - IIS 6 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have a Sharepoint 2007 environment with IIS 6.0. 

We have a app pool called A which you expand does not have any content i.e. root, _layouts/images, _layouts/inc.

We have another app pool called B which you expand and has the content i.e. root etc.

I need to move the content mentioned above from B to A as this is the correct app pool.

I am wondering if I go the web site which is currently using app pool B and go to the Home Directory and change the app pool to A. 

Will this then move the root, _layouts/images, _layouts/inc from B to A or do I need to do something else?

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 11:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Bob10202124,

actually i just extend my web application, and the result is like that.

i open the central administration->Application Management -> create or extend web application, and select extend web application.

1. Choose your web application,

2. select your IIS website selection

3. type in the port that you prefer, set the path if you need

4. select your authentication, anonymous permission and SSL if needed.

5. check the URL and the zone that you wish for.

click OK,

as the result, it appear as the screen shot that i posted before.

these are the steps that i use to create the screenshot result.

perhaps you can compare and check your steps.

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 4, 2013 6:44 AM
  • hi Bob10202124,

regarding the path that perhaps you hardcoded them, actually may i ask if you add the resource or you edit the resource?

each site should have its own virtual directory, so if you need the custom files to be added to the virtual directory.

if you have a development stage, i strongly suggest that you can try to extend the site, and do add the resource, you can open the IIS, then open the explorer for the virtual directory, try to copy and paste it.

regarding this, i think you select to extend the site by not using the same IIS pool, so it create new pool with new standard files. because of this you may need to do some setting based on your environment that you want.

please have a check this article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263256(v=office.12).aspx#section2

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc298636(v=office.12).aspx

Regards,
    Aries

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, July 4, 2013 8:21 AM
  • Hi Bob10202124,

for IIS 6.0, those paths and description is different with IIS 7.0.

please have a check on this pics:

based on your description, there is an application pool that you want to use for a certain website, and you would like to use the description on the application pool that you want.

perhaps this workaround can be work at your environment, we encourage you to try at your development stage if there is.

please check the properties on your website list, then select the home directory tab, under there it should have the application pool that you want to use, so that you can have a try to select the application pool that you wish to have. and try to redo the process that you want.

Regards,
    Aries

Friday, July 5, 2013 5:37 AM
  • Let's take a step back for a second. What is your ultimate goal? Copying the content from from one app pool to another is generally not a good idea (I'm not sure if it's supported, my guess is that it is not). Can you simply keep the applications pools as they are (i.e. is this a case of "it's not named right and it bothers me?")?

Is it just that a web application is using the wrong application pool? You more or less have two supported ways to change this:

1. Recreate the web application. This involves deleting the current web application, creating a new one with the correct application pool, and then attaching the content databases. This will require an outage (let's say an hour).

2. Use the object model to change the assigned application pool. this post from the SharePoint Escalation Services Team Blog describes the process by writing a custom .NET application. You could also use PowerShell if this is installed on the server. This will require an outage as well (lets say a few minutes).

In either case I strongly recommend you build a test environment to test these proceedures out before performing them in your production farm.

Friday, July 5, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Hi Bob10202124,

i tried to move the web app, as we told, but seems cant work well, later when i develop the IIS 6 (server 2003) with the sharepoint 2007, there was an issue that i need you to check:

I was extending my sharepoint 8080 to the intranet at AAM, and found out like this as result, perhaps you able to help me how you extend your site?

if you may try, please open the central admin, and choose to extend the web application, and then select your web application, after you extend check your IIS, the path and description at the IIS should be updated.

Regards,
    Aries

Monday, July 8, 2013 6:32 AM
  • Hi Bob10202124,

actually i just extend my web application, and the result is like that.

i open the central administration->Application Management -> create or extend web application, and select extend web application.

1. Choose your web application,

2. select your IIS website selection

3. type in the port that you prefer, set the path if you need

4. select your authentication, anonymous permission and SSL if needed.

5. check the URL and the zone that you wish for.

click OK,

as the result, it appear as the screen shot that i posted before.

these are the steps that i use to create the screenshot result.

perhaps you can compare and check your steps.

Regards,
    Aries

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:09 AM