none
Blank iSCSI targets but targets still active

Question

• Hi All,
    I have a Windows server 2012 R2 core server running Hyper-v with iSCSI attachments. Many months ago I configured the iSCSI connections and everything was working fine. I recently went to add an additional connection however when i opened the iSCSI initiator interface i noticed under the 'Targets' tab the 'Discovered Targets' section was completely empty. The 'Discovery' tab had a portal pointing to our san, both the 'Favourite Targets' and 'Volumes & Devices' tabs were also blank.

I attempted to use the quick connect to connect to our SAN to see if this might resolve the issue however i received the following in the progress report section:

'The GUID passed was not recognized as valid by a WMI data provider.'

All existing iSCSI disk attachments are still present and all VM's are working fine. I am at a loss as to where to go from here, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 12:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Justdave,

Did you make any changes before the issue happen?

Have you tried to restart iSCSI Initiator Service?

If possible, try to remove it and re-connect the target.

Besides, authentication cache may cause connection failure, check the following path in registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\iSCSI\discovery

Note: Please backup the key before modifying.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Justdave,

Did you make any changes before the issue happen?

Have you tried to restart iSCSI Initiator Service?

If possible, try to remove it and re-connect the target.

Besides, authentication cache may cause connection failure, check the following path in registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\iSCSI\discovery

Note: Please backup the key before modifying.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 8:44 AM
  • It's not an authentication issue, all the iSCSI targets are still connected. The iSCSI initiator is simply not displaying any of the connections.
    Friday, September 2, 2016 1:46 AM
  • Hi Justdave,

I'm afraid I could not find muck information on the issue.

If possible, recreate the targets to see if the issue still exists.

Also check if the SAN is certified:

https://www.windowsservercatalog.com/

Best Regards,

Leo

Monday, September 5, 2016 6:17 AM
  • Have you found a solution?
    Friday, July 13, 2018 4:15 PM
  • No sorry.

My company has since upgraded away from our old SAN and since then we have had not issues. Sorry mate.

Sunday, July 15, 2018 10:51 PM