none
How to make a Project 2010 Project Site (Sharepoint web site associated with a Project in PWA) to be Read-only. RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to make the Sharepoint web site that is associated with a PROJECT in MS Project 2010 Enterprise, to be Read Only?

We would like to apply this to Closed Projects.  I setup a new Category called ReadOnlyProjects, associated my TeamMembers Group with the new category and did not grant the team members any save or edit permissions.  But, the team members can still edit files in the Project Site.  How do i lock down the old Project Site?

Monday, July 6, 2015 8:29 PM

All replies

• Hi !

Could you please elaborate on what you mean the web site as read only ? If you mean the individual fields to be read only, I would recommend an answer I just gave to another member :

I don't think there is an out of the box solution for your question, however what I have done is basically created a separate group for the special users. then using JavaScript, I check their permission levels (basically if they are in the group or not). If they are in the group, all fields except for the one field can be tagged as Read only.

Do let me know if you need any help, I could definitely provide you with some more ideas, if this doesn't suit you.

Is this something that you are looking for ? Alternatively, you could verify if a person is in a particular group and if he/she is in the group, you could run a CSS to disable the Edit button itself.

Monday, July 6, 2015 11:26 PM
  • Thank you for responding Abhijit.  By "read only", I would like the Project Site, the SharePoint subsite that is associated with the project in PWA, to no longer be editable by Project Team Members who normally have had read and write access to the site.  We'd like to be able to make any "closed" project repositories Read-Only to preserve the data as it was when the project closed. 
    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 12:43 PM
  • Hi,

A solution would be to break the project site permission inheritance, add all users to the read group from the site permission settings.

Or with PowerShell: http://sharepointadam.com/2010/04/14/set-a-site-collection-to-read-only-via-powershell/

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 12:54 PM
  • Hi

Guillaumes idea will probably not work in your case because you are using subsites (webs) for the project sites and not separate site collections. You could change this for the future of course.

What you can do is to modify the permissions of the project site to remove changing permissions for everyone and then you could remove the link between the project and its site to prevent further synchronization.

Or you could try to explcitely deny "view project site" and "save project" for your team and project managers and your category. This should leave only the Administrators having permissions to the site and no one having even read permissions. You could grant these manually. But I did not try this yet. Just an idea.

Or you create a separate site collection for closed project sites, and move the project sites there using export/import (while it will probably be difficult to add new closed projects when the site is readonly....)

Kind regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCTS, MCSE | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Friday, July 10, 2015 12:11 PM