Displaying Measures on Rows and on Columns RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is there any way to display some of my measures on rows and some of them on columns?  It seems that I have to select either 'Rows' or 'Columns' for "Measures"....but my customer needs to display a combination of my measures along either axis.  Thanks in advance....

KRS

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:36 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately the MDX language will not allow you to place members from the same hierarchy on different axes.  You must pick one and only one axis. What are you wanting to accomplish?  Is it a case of wanting to see your measures on columns and time-based expressions on rows such as YTD, Prior YTD, % Change, etc (or vice versa)?  If so, there is a better way to solve that problem.  In Analysis Services, there is a wizard called the "Time Intelligence Wizard" (go to Books Online for more info) that will automatically create these time-dynamic calculations for you and place them in your Time dimension instead of on your Measures dimension.  This allows you to place the calculations on one axis and your measures on another.

-Jason

BTG Services

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:15 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately the MDX language will not allow you to place members from the same hierarchy on different axes.  You must pick one and only one axis. What are you wanting to accomplish?  Is it a case of wanting to see your measures on columns and time-based expressions on rows such as YTD, Prior YTD, % Change, etc (or vice versa)?  If so, there is a better way to solve that problem.  In Analysis Services, there is a wizard called the "Time Intelligence Wizard" (go to Books Online for more info) that will automatically create these time-dynamic calculations for you and place them in your Time dimension instead of on your Measures dimension.  This allows you to place the calculations on one axis and your measures on another.

-Jason

BTG Services

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Thank you Jason, for clarifying this...

Kole

Friday, September 19, 2008 8:03 PM