none
Active X Control failed to load RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I work for a software company, and recently I've come across a string of customers who have been recieving "Active X control failed to load" when trying to access the software. The software is all web-based, but needs to be installed on a computer before using. And I just can't seem to get around it. It's one customer in particular that is experiencing this, but unfortunately it's company wide through the states. So this is what I've done so far.

Please note, this software has to be used in Internet explorer 7-10 32-bit. We can get it working with 11 sometimes, but it's not supported right now.

1. I navigate to the webpage, where I am prompted to download the software

2. Once it's installed I launch the website, where it displays a blank screen

3. I go into trusted sites, add this site

4. I go into security settings and make sure all active X is enabled (I've also tried just leaving it at medium or low level)

5. I click ok and refresh the webpage

6. I hit compatibility view, where it displays "Active X control failed to load"

7. I add the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework]
    "EnableIEHosting"=dword:00000001

8. I have verified the other registry key is there: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework]
    "EnableIEHosting"=dword:00000001

9. I rebooted the computer after adding the registry key

10. I've tried starting the service: ActiveXInstaller (AxInsSV)

This service provides User Account Control validation for the installation of ActiveX controls from the Internet and enables management of ActiveX control installation based on Group Policy settings. This service is started on demand and if disabled the installation of ActiveX controls will behave according to default browser settings.

11. I've even tried reinstalling the software with that service active

12. Also, I did make sure all windows updates were up to date

I'm at a complete loss for what to do next. Are there any types of suggestions anybody can offer? Nobody has been able to give me direction in my company short of - "Do these things, if you do them, it's not our problem." I unfortunately do not believe in that philosophy.

Thank you all

Saturday, January 4, 2014 4:11 AM

Answers

• type

navigator.platform

in the IE address bar. You will see the current bitness of the webbrowser. I expect that you will see win64. You did not mention what IE Security zone your site maps to on the clients.

Add the domain of your installation page/website to the users Trusted Sites or Intranet sites list where EPM is disabled by default and domains will allow x86 ActiveX controls to load and run.

quite often users will fiddle with IE's settings (in the vain hope of getting things to work)... ensure they are accepting the default security zone settings...

Tools>Internet Options>Security zone>click "Reset all zones to default"

use GPO to map your domains to the required zone, then to disable 'Sites' buttons on the Security tab of Internet Options to prevent users 'fixing' things.

Post questions about html, css and scripting for websites to the IE Web Development forum with a link to your website.

Tools to scan your site for Compatibility issues can be found at http://modern.ie

Rob^_^

Sunday, January 5, 2014 4:34 AM