none
IE9 Won't run / open for me. HELP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am unable to open my Internet Explorer 9. Whenever I double click the icon, this error appears.

"Restrictions

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator. "

I will attach a screenshot as soon as my account has been verified.

I am the system admin of this laptop and I can't understand how this happened. I have searched around and I know it's a common error with outlook or chrome and the like, but I think it may be different.

I have tried the following but they did not work:

• Restart my laptop
    • Update Windows
    • Reinstall IE 9
    • Run as Admin
    • Set IE as default browser
    • Control Panel > Internet Properties > Advanced > Reset... > Reset

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Are you able to locate to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore, run this exe directly?
    or run %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe -extoff.
    It could also be caused by some missing files, run sfc/scannow, check it it can make any difference.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

the message...

"Restrictions

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator. 

only occurs on computers that are attached to a domain network...(work computers)....

or on home computers where Parental controls is installed and activated. The 'system administrator' that the message refers to is your company's system administrator...

there should be no GPO restrictions that would stop the browser from loading... home computers do not usually have access to corporate restrictions...possibly... your homepage settings or one of your IE Addons is trying to navigate to a malicious website or make changes to the Registry...

Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>

General tab>change you ONLY homepage to about:blank

Advanced tab>uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions"...

Restart your computer...for the changes to take effect and to close any hidden failed IE processes.

Post consumer questions about IE to http://answers.microsoft.com (Help>Online Support menu from IE)

Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:00 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Still doesn't work after

• Editing homepage
    • Unchecking "Enable third-party browser extensions"

Thanks though. I shall forward this to the site you have linked.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:27 AM
  • Hi,

Are you able to locate to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore, run this exe directly?
    or run %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe -extoff.
    It could also be caused by some missing files, run sfc/scannow, check it it can make any difference.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:26 AM