none
USB Shared Printer for RDP/RDS session not printing RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

Basic problem: A user account on a Server 2016 (clean install nothing else) has a shared printer installed. The shared printer is a USB printer (same problem with various printers) connected to a Win10P PC. The user connects to the server with RDP. When first installing the shared printer it works fine. But upon logging off and back on to the server then the printer shows connected but does not print.

I have been able to repeat this problem with clean install on a physical machine and on a VM. 

I have Googled and Googled but so far not found anything that explains this unusual behavior. 

Note: this is a clean server install. No AD or RDS. Just a RDP enabled under system settings.

I am at my wits end. Any help would be appreciated.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 5:12 AM

All replies

• Install print drivers on client PC and then check
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 7:52 AM
  • I have gone through all the print drivers. Uninstalling on both client and server. Installing (same driver) on both client and server. Problem persists.
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 7:54 AM
  • HI
    0 is your environment like below ?
    rdp client computer: os version ??
    printer server :win10
    server 2016  : no role is install on w2016 and only enable RD setting.
    one user remote access w2016 and he can print first time ,however when he  log off and back on to the server then the printer shows connected but does not print 

1 "But upon logging off and back on to the server then the printer shows connected but does not print."
    Is this issue happen all domain admin account ?or your issue only happen on one or some domain account ?
    2 is this server 2016 added in AD domain?
    3 Are your win10pc and server 2016 in the same AD domain and the same network segment?
    4 what's the detail problematical printer model ?
    5 can you enter winver in command prompt on both rdp client computer,printer server(win10) and problematical w2016,then look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
    6 when the problem happened ,are there any event log in below location on w2016 server?
    event viewer\windows logs\
    application
    security
    system
    event viewer\windows logs\applications and services logs\microsoft\windows\printservice
    event viewer\windows logs\applications and services logs\microsoft\windows\termininalservice-printers
    7 did you use roaming profile or mandatory profile or folder redirect on problematical w2016 ?
    8 is there logoff script deployed on w2016 ?
    9 Are you using user authentication card for print ? 

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:52 AM
  • Good day,

There is no active directory. Clients ranged from Win 7 to Win 10 1903. I happens with both Administrative and standard user accounts. And with a variety of printer models from Epson to Canon. 

I will check the event logs

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 10:48 AM
  • HI
    10 "The shared printer is a USB printer (same problem with various printers) connected to a Win10P PC"
    can you enter winver in command prompt on win10p pc ,then look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]

11 Are your windows server 2016 and win10 printer server in the same network segment ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 15, 2019 3:07 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 2:55 AM