none
Resource usage change depending different tasks on Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Let's assume I have 2 different tasks and a resource. Task1 goes for 1 month and Task2 goes for 2 months where they start on same day. What I want to do is to assign my resource to Task1 %50. But for Task2 same resource will work %50 until Task1 finishes and then the ratio will increase to %100.

I can split Task2 to 2 subtasks and assign my resource to them with linking these subtasks to my Task1 but I'm pretty sure that Project should have such basic functionality (hopefully I'm right :) )

are there any way to realize this scenario?

thanks in advance,

goktan

Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:44 AM

Answers

• Sapna,

You are correct -- there appears to be a visual difference between 2010 and 2007. In both cases, the resource's peak units shows 150%. 

In Project 2010 if the leveling calculation (options) is set to Day by Day (default) the Resource's name is not in red nor does the "Overallocated" flag read "yes."  If you change the leveling calculation to Hour by Hour -- then the overallocation flag changes to "yes" and the name turns red.

In Project 2007 regardless of the settings for leveling calculation -- the Resource's name is red -- changing the leveling options merely controls the display of the flag.

Thanks for walking this through -- I've learned yet another new thing today.

Julie

Friday, May 13, 2011 6:29 PM
  • For this scenario I would either spit the second task (2 months is too long anyway) or in the Resource Usage View, manually update the work to 40h per week.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 9:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Goktan,

Assign resource on 50% on task 1 and then create the task Calendar for the task 2, wherein you can have 4 hours allocation on the task for 1 month and then 8hrs later on. So whenever that resource is allocated and its Calendar is overridden the task calendar will align 4 hrs of work till 1 month and 8 hrs later on.

Else you can do the manual edit of leveling in yellow timephased sheet in Usage views to show 4 hrs for 1st month on the task 2 and then 8hrs going forward from the second month.

Sapna S
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Hi Sapna,

If goktan assigns his resource to the second task at 100%, even though the task calendar is for 4 hours per day, the resource will still be overallocated.  The 50% assignment unit doesn't mean the resource only works 4 hours in the morning or 4 hours in the afternoon -- the resource is engaged for the full 8 hours but only produces 4 hours of effort in the 8 hour time span.

In order for your suggestion to work, there would have to be two task calendars -- one for Task 1 and another for Task 2 with different, non-overlapping hours for the first month.  Then the resource could be assigned to both tasks at 100%.  The difficulty would be if the duration of task 1 altered and started to overlap the full day time in the task calendar for task 2.

Sorry, goktan, the best option is to split Task 2 into two tasks and make the assignments at the correct assignment unit.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Hi Julie,

As for splitting the task Gotkan was already aware of as he wrote in his post, he was looking for some other alternatives. As for the Unit Allocation, as per my experience, when a resource is assigned at 50% on a task that does imply he will work for 4hrs only on a task and rest of the 4hrs could be utilised somewhere else on the Project. 50% on a task doesn't care about his rest 50% unless we go on for further details like leveling.

As long as based on unit summation a resource is assigned to his Max Unit (100 by defualt) in a day he doesn't shows as overallocated.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/learn-more-about-resource-units-HA001020316.aspx states :

• Specify 50% if the resource is spending half the available time on this assignment. Even if the resource is a full-time resource, some assignments may require only a part-time effort, leaving the remaining time available for another assignment.

So having him assigned on Task1 at 50%, as Gotkan want, second task could have a non overlapping working time 4 hrs calendar for 1st month and then regular Calendar from second month onwards. When the resource work in non-overlapping time he won't be ever overallocated. That could be verified by inserting overallocated column in resource usage.

• Sapna S
Friday, May 13, 2011 5:55 AM
  • Hello Sapna, We seem to be talking past one another. If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting assigning the same resource to Task 1 at 50%. The create a task calendar with only 4 hours of working time per day for the first month. Are you then suggesting assigning the same resource to Task 2 at 100%? I just don't see how you can say the resource is not overallocated. During the time of overlap between Task 1 and Task 2, the resource's peak units are 150% -- and the resource is overallocated. Julie
    Friday, May 13, 2011 11:23 AM
  • Hi Julie,

I did mention to define non-over lapping Calendar to keep the resource off from overallocation. Seems we both are saying the same thing but in different ways. :)

Sapna S
    Friday, May 13, 2011 11:34 AM
  • But the task calendar with only 4 hours per day is assigned to only Task 2?  Sorry, following that process - one task calendar assigned only to Task 2 -- my resource is still overallocated. True, the total work assigned per day is 8 hours and the overallocation would not be something that I would bother to fix -- but the resource's name is red and the Peak Units field is 150%.  I am working in Project 2007 -- but will fire up the 2010 machine shortly to double check.  I am certainly more than willing to discover that I am completely wrong -- but it would be a significant change in definition between the two versions :-)

Julie

Friday, May 13, 2011 11:46 AM
  • Yes the 4hr non-overlapping Calendar is for T2. In 2007 it does shows the resource as overallocated in Red Font, but in 2010 it doesn't shows provided the Calendar is not overlapping. I understand that peak unit would be shown as 150% (50% for T1 and 100% for T2). But in 2010 it neither shows tasks in red nor treat it as overallocated though peak unit still remains at 150%. When you run leveling option too it doesn't impact assignment. May be due to modification in Peak Unit and Assignment Units in 2010 you and I are looking at different behavior with different version. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2010/04/29/assignment-units-in-project-2010.aspx
    Sapna S
    Friday, May 13, 2011 1:17 PM
  • Sapna,

You are correct -- there appears to be a visual difference between 2010 and 2007. In both cases, the resource's peak units shows 150%. 

In Project 2010 if the leveling calculation (options) is set to Day by Day (default) the Resource's name is not in red nor does the "Overallocated" flag read "yes."  If you change the leveling calculation to Hour by Hour -- then the overallocation flag changes to "yes" and the name turns red.

In Project 2007 regardless of the settings for leveling calculation -- the Resource's name is red -- changing the leveling options merely controls the display of the flag.

Thanks for walking this through -- I've learned yet another new thing today.

Julie

Friday, May 13, 2011 6:29 PM
  • For this scenario I would either spit the second task (2 months is too long anyway) or in the Resource Usage View, manually update the work to 40h per week.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 9:24 AM
  • No Problems Julie, I m happy that finally we both are on same page. Your expertise is undoubtable and it happens that with change of version new things get incorporated and we take time to explore it. Even I pondered for a while to understand the peak value and assignment alogorith in 2010 which is entirely different from 2007. I can rest now that we are back to same thought now :) 
    Sapna S
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:18 AM