Reccomend third party admin tool RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently on SP2007 (one farm) and need a good third party admin tool.

We are particularly interested in archiving dead sites, permissions control, setting policy, and gaining visibility into farm on granular level.

We are currently looking at DocAve, Axeler ControlPoint, and Quest's Site Administrator.

Any thoughts or experiences (good or bad) with these tools?  Any other tools suggested?

Thanks.

Friday, August 9, 2013 9:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Electric,

Welcome to the forums.  Here's my thoughts on what you've mentioned above.  I can only answer for functionality.  Pricing will always be subjective to each vendor / deal so I'd take any numbers thrown at you with a pinch of salt.

1. DocAve: Very good product that offers an end to end admin tool kit, that'll achive everything that you need.  DocAve can be a little intimidating, so take into account time for learning the tool.  They have a well known MVP Jeremy Thake in thier ranks, so this is a very good tool.
    2. ControlPoint: Axeler are a company that I really like, great staff (also with an MVP (Christian Buckley) in thier ranks) and the ControlPoint product achieves granularity and integration with the SP2007 platform.  They offer some taster freebie products to give you an ideas as to what the full tool does.  See here
    3. I've not used Quest stuff for a while but I didn't find myself enjoying thier tools when I worked with SharePoint 2007.  I've not used any of thier new stuff, if it's been updated.
    Monday, August 12, 2013 9:34 AM
    Answerer
  • From what you've mentioned I think AvePoint's product will serve you well, I personally used it for a while and loved the power and capabilities of it.. thus having no problems recommending it :)

http://www.avepoint.com/sharepoint-administration-docave/

Saturday, August 10, 2013 12:18 AM

All replies

• From what you've mentioned I think AvePoint's product will serve you well, I personally used it for a while and loved the power and capabilities of it.. thus having no problems recommending it :)

http://www.avepoint.com/sharepoint-administration-docave/

Saturday, August 10, 2013 12:18 AM
  • Hi Electric,

Welcome to the forums.  Here's my thoughts on what you've mentioned above.  I can only answer for functionality.  Pricing will always be subjective to each vendor / deal so I'd take any numbers thrown at you with a pinch of salt.

1. DocAve: Very good product that offers an end to end admin tool kit, that'll achive everything that you need.  DocAve can be a little intimidating, so take into account time for learning the tool.  They have a well known MVP Jeremy Thake in thier ranks, so this is a very good tool.
    2. ControlPoint: Axeler are a company that I really like, great staff (also with an MVP (Christian Buckley) in thier ranks) and the ControlPoint product achieves granularity and integration with the SP2007 platform.  They offer some taster freebie products to give you an ideas as to what the full tool does.  See here
    3. I've not used Quest stuff for a while but I didn't find myself enjoying thier tools when I worked with SharePoint 2007.  I've not used any of thier new stuff, if it's been updated.
    Monday, August 12, 2013 9:34 AM
    Answerer