When is an IM conversation 'missed'? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know of a good resource (web page, TechNet article, etc.) that explains when Lync marks an IM conversation as missed and sends a notification to a user's Inbox?  We use the Lync client for Windows (with February update) and we have been unable to figure out what logic Lync uses to determine if an IM is missed.  We've tried various combinations of recipient presence, but have seemingly been unable to get consistent results.  Any direction you can point me on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Monday, April 23, 2012 8:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Shawn,

In my opinion, this feature is working by design.

If you unlock the PC and do not make any respond when the IM coming, the system will assume it is ignored but not missed.

If you lock the PC, and come back two minutes later, you should get the email notification.

Noya Lau

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Noya Lau Thursday, May 3, 2012 12:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Noya Lau Monday, May 7, 2012 10:30 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:51 AM

All replies

• Lync makes an IM "missed" around 5 minute mark.

According to other posts, this is not a changeable setting.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/ocsclients/thread/7bf46bc4-bdb7-4a27-b038-c8a281931fa2

I'm not sure, but maybe you would like this tool?
    http://www.modalitysystems.com/software/super-toast/

+Say thanks and observe basic forum courtesy:
    +If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer
    +If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful

windowspbx blog: my thots/howtos
    see/submit Lync suggestions here: simple and public

Monday, April 23, 2012 9:16 PM
  • That doesn't always seem to be the case.  For example, User 1 sends IM to User 2 (both running Windows Lync client).  User 2 has a status of available, but doesn't reply to the IM from User 1 (User 2 doesn't even open the IM window).  Probably nine times out of ten User 2 doesn't receive a missed conversation notification in their Inbox even if they leave the IM window sitting there for an hour or more.  There must be more variables in play here, but I can't find anything documented that would explain what.  I'm not looking to change any settings.  I'm just trying to understand how the missed conversation notifications work.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:44 PM
  • Hi Shawn,

In my opinion, this feature is working by design.

If you unlock the PC and do not make any respond when the IM coming, the system will assume it is ignored but not missed.

If you lock the PC, and come back two minutes later, you should get the email notification.

Noya Lau

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Noya Lau Thursday, May 3, 2012 12:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Noya Lau Monday, May 7, 2012 10:30 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:51 AM