What is the difference between SharePoint Designer 2013 and editing my existing page online? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a fairly new user. I recently have been tasked with updating my organization's SP site. So far, I have done all of the changes/work by just going to the site, and then editing directly there. But I notice my computer has SP Designer 2013 on it. What is this used for? Thanks!
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 6:46 PM

Answers

• SharePoint Designer 2013 is a web and application design program used to build and customize SharePoint sites and applications. With SharePoint Designer 2013, you can create data-rich pages, build powerful workflow-enabled solutions, and design the look and feel of your site.

SharePoint Designer 2013 delivers a unique site authoring experience by providing one place where you can create a site; customize the components that make up the site; design the logic of the site around a business process; and deploy the site as a packaged solution. You can do all this without writing a line of code.

Below article for more understanding;

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/introducing-sharepoint-designer-66bf58fe-daeb-4fa6-ae84-fd600e0005c1#targetText=SharePoint%20Designer%202013%20is%20a,and%20feel%20of%20your%20site.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

• Marked as answer by Nikki Ivy Friday, September 20, 2019 3:34 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 7:55 PM
  • Hi Nikki,

SharePoint designer (SPD) a great tool to customize SharePoint out of the box pages with very / minimal effort comparing with changing pages directly in browser. I prefer you to make changes using SPD but be more vigilant. 

People mostly uses SPD for below:

1. Creating MasterPages

2. Workflows

3. Creating custom page Layouts

4. Editing list views

However like as any other software had SPD also has limitations:

1. You can't debug the code written in SPD

2. you can't create a State machine workflow using SPD

3. Have to be more careful while editing pages using SPD because it might pull the site down

NOTE: Microsoft is going to stop SharePoint designer by 2026 this is announced officially

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=SharePoint%20Designer%202013

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Krishna

Thursday, September 19, 2019 11:56 AM

All replies

• SharePoint Designer 2013 is a web and application design program used to build and customize SharePoint sites and applications. With SharePoint Designer 2013, you can create data-rich pages, build powerful workflow-enabled solutions, and design the look and feel of your site.

SharePoint Designer 2013 delivers a unique site authoring experience by providing one place where you can create a site; customize the components that make up the site; design the logic of the site around a business process; and deploy the site as a packaged solution. You can do all this without writing a line of code.

Below article for more understanding;

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/introducing-sharepoint-designer-66bf58fe-daeb-4fa6-ae84-fd600e0005c1#targetText=SharePoint%20Designer%202013%20is%20a,and%20feel%20of%20your%20site.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 7:55 PM
  • Hi Nikki,

SharePoint designer (SPD) a great tool to customize SharePoint out of the box pages with very / minimal effort comparing with changing pages directly in browser. I prefer you to make changes using SPD but be more vigilant. 

People mostly uses SPD for below:

1. Creating MasterPages

2. Workflows

3. Creating custom page Layouts

4. Editing list views

However like as any other software had SPD also has limitations:

1. You can't debug the code written in SPD

2. you can't create a State machine workflow using SPD

3. Have to be more careful while editing pages using SPD because it might pull the site down

NOTE: Microsoft is going to stop SharePoint designer by 2026 this is announced officially

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=SharePoint%20Designer%202013

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Krishna

Thursday, September 19, 2019 11:56 AM