Rename OST File Locally? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

This pertains to an e-mail account on an Exchange 2007 server that is accessed locally by Outlook 2010. 

When I go to the folder on my computer where the OST file is stored (c:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook), the name of the OST file that was automatically created by Outlook when I set up my account is "MyEmailAddress - EmailAccountName.ost".

I would like to change the name of this OST account to reflect the nickname that I have for this e-mail account.   The reason being is that in Outlook 2010, when I look at my e-mail accounts in the navigation pane it lists them by the names of the OST/PST files.  Not visually appealing in my eyes.

Your thoughts on how to do the name change locally are greatly appreciated!

Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:33 PM

Answers

• Yep, that did the trick.  In case others are interested, here are my steps...

1. Shut down Outlook
    2. Open up Mail from the Control Panel
    3. Click Data Files, select the Exchange account, and press Settings.
    4. Click the Advanced Tab
    5. Uncheck "Use Cached Exchange Mode"
    6. Click "Outlook Data File Settings"
    7. Click "Disable Offline Use"
    8. Now click Browse and you can rename the file to something else and select that as your new OST file.
    9. Click Ok in the Outlook Data File Settings, reenable "Use Cached Exchange Mode", hit Ok on everything, and restart outlook

And blam, there you go.

• Marked as answer by spam33 Friday, June 24, 2011 2:37 AM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 2:37 AM

All replies

• I believe you can follow these steps in Outlook to effect the change you want.

1.  Disable offline folders.

2.  Move and/or rename the file.

3.  Enable offline folders and specify the new file path and name.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Friday, June 24, 2011 12:34 AM
  • Yep, that did the trick.  In case others are interested, here are my steps...

1. Shut down Outlook
    2. Open up Mail from the Control Panel
    3. Click Data Files, select the Exchange account, and press Settings.
    4. Click the Advanced Tab
    5. Uncheck "Use Cached Exchange Mode"
    6. Click "Outlook Data File Settings"
    7. Click "Disable Offline Use"
    8. Now click Browse and you can rename the file to something else and select that as your new OST file.
    9. Click Ok in the Outlook Data File Settings, reenable "Use Cached Exchange Mode", hit Ok on everything, and restart outlook

And blam, there you go.

• Marked as answer by spam33 Friday, June 24, 2011 2:37 AM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 2:37 AM
  • Hi,

Actually, you can simply close the outlook and rename the OST file and then open outlook again.

Outlook will ask you to provide a new OST file location.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q157079&

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Exotic Hadron Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:35 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Exotic Hadron Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:31 PM
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:52 AM
  • Hello, Jason!

The trick doesn't work in Outlook 2013. Outlook automatically creates a file with the name of the mailbox once you restart it after changing the name of the OST file and does NOT prompt to choose for a missing file. You cannot change location of the file as well, the Browse button is always inactive.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:33 PM
  • Hello, Jason!

The trick doesn't work in Outlook 2013. Outlook automatically creates a file with the name of the mailbox once you restart it after changing the name of the OST file and does NOT prompt to choose for a missing file. You cannot change location of the file as well, the Browse button is always inactive.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Has anyone managed to find working solution for Outlook 2013 ?

I accidentally removed the data storage file for some of my IMAP accounts and Outlook recreated them back with the:

"name(index).ost"
    instead of:
    "name.ost"

I want to restore their original:

"name.ost"
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 4:25 AM
  • I also trying to find a way to rename my Outlook 2013 .OST file for an Outlook.com account.

Creating a new profile may work but then the entire mailbox will have to be synced again.

Slipstick has a useful article: http://www.slipstick.com/exchange/moving-outlook-ost-file/

• Edited by ThumperNut Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:55 AM Link added
    • Proposed as answer by ThumperNut Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:55 AM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:43 AM
  • I don't know why the procedure would be any different.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:50 PM
  • Very good article ThumperNut!  But everyone pay close attention (we're talking Outlook 2013 here) to the fact that even though a mail file might end with the file extension ".ost" it doesn't mean it's an OST file, per se.  Hotmail EAS files are Exchange ActiveSync files (not Exchange Server files) and require the ForcePSTPath registry setting, NOT the ForceOSTPath.  Same is true for imap files like those from Apple iCloud accounts.  If you're wanting to move or rename those types of files (imap or EAS) follow this link:  http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/how-to-move-the-imap-personal-folder-pst.  The article does point this out but I just want to re-emphasize it here.
    Sunday, August 23, 2015 12:12 AM
  • Thursday, February 11, 2016 4:31 AM
  • Dear Terziyski,
    In case you have not obtained a satisfactory solution and to help other potential stakeholders who come to this post, I describe the contents below:
    I had the same problem described by you and built the solution below based on Diane Poremski article mentioned in this article pot Frank479 (http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/how-to-move-the-imap- personal-folder-pst).
    I Use Outlook 2016 and IMAP protocol. I searched a lot on the internet a solution to the name of my .OST file, which appeared indexed (2) and I could not rename it because Outlook automatically created the same file.
    Based on its contents, insert the key ForcePSTPath (I took care in writing the name, because in other articles, there was mention of the use of key ForceOSPath, which did not work with Outlook 2016) in the appropriate registry location and in my case, I wanted just rename the file and do not change your site, kept the same address as the destination folder. Once in Control Panel, created a new temporary profile with another account name but linked to the same server address. That done, delete the old profile. The final, recreated the old profile, which was originally with the desired name (without indexing), deletes the temporary profile, and waited download messages from the server.
    Thank you all, for the contents of this post allowed me to reach a solution to my case!
    Hug,
    João Paulo A. de Moraes
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 11:41 AM