Unable to repair bad sectors on Win2k3 WSUS. Is it worth migrating the WSUS data or ok to start fresh? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! 

I've got a bad sector disk issue on a Win2k3 VM that I can't repair no matter what I try. Chkdks fails on stage 4 of the disk check so im unable to deal with the data properly. My question is... im going to have to move WSUS to another server -- is it necessary to migrate the WSUS database? Would I lose very important data if I just start fresh with a new WSUS installation on a new server? I would think that when the systems check in with the new server, they would see what updates they have and be able to just take it from there. Im not going to download the files locally on to the server anymore since we have better internet and less Win systems to push out the udpates to.

What do ya'll think? Is it worth it to try to repair the disk to properly complete the migration? If so, any other tools other than chkdks that could fix bad sectors on a WMWare VM? 

Thanks!!!

Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Personally, I'd migrate to a new server with fresh install of WSUS.  You can migrate the database, but that could introduce problems, especially if it has corrupt data as a result of your disk issues.  If you mirror the WSUS configuration from your existing to your new WSUS server then, yes, servers would check in and report their status. 

If you don't have lots of Win machines and if you're planning on not downloading update files locally then that's more of an incentive to move to a fresh installation.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:13 PM
  • Hi jwinterbee,

Agree with "Stu Cousins", I would also suggest do a refresh installation on the new WSUS server.

WSUS server is easy to re-install and re-configure, start from scratch may avoid a lot of migration issues.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 21, 2017 6:27 AM
  • Hi,

Personally, I'd migrate to a new server with fresh install of WSUS.  You can migrate the database, but that could introduce problems, especially if it has corrupt data as a result of your disk issues.  If you mirror the WSUS configuration from your existing to your new WSUS server then, yes, servers would check in and report their status. 

If you don't have lots of Win machines and if you're planning on not downloading update files locally then that's more of an incentive to move to a fresh installation.

I agree with Stu Cousins as well. Fresh install is best. In my experience it takes the same amount of time for migration and making a fresh install.
    Monday, April 24, 2017 2:31 PM
  • Hi jwinterbee,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help? If yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if not, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 8:49 AM