Windows 7 Unidentified error 766f6c756d652e63 3f1 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows 7 Professional on my main computer with an Intel Core i7 running at 2.8 GHz.  The main drive is a pair of WD VelociRaptor drives running in RAID 0.  The computer is running slow.   In addition, this computer is the 3rd machine on my home network with the same problems during the last month.

I have been trying to perform an error checking operation on my main drive.

If I try to do it from windows, I am advised that the check cannot be done while the disk is in use, so I schedule a disk check and I re-boot.

When the disk check is attempted after re-boot I am advised that the check cannot be run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.

It advises that I should go to the control panel and use the system restore feature to go to a point before the software package was installed.

It further says that an unidentified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 3f1).

When I try to go to a previous restore point, I am advised that the drive needs to be error checked before it can be restored.  The takes me back to my original start point.

I have run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, HitmanPro, PC TuneUp Maestro and Total Defense anti-virus.  After getting rid of a lot of junk, I still have the problem. I have also installed and tried several other PC cleanup programs that did no good.

In addition, I notice a large amount of disk and network activity on the machine even before I activate any applications after startup.  Further, when I restart the machine without access to the network (I disconnect the Ethernet cable from my network switch and there is no WIFI active on the machine) my desktop appears normally, in about 10 seconds after I enter my password.  If I restart the machine with network and Internet access, it takes a full 110 seconds to get to my desktop after I enter my password.

This problem is happening on 3 of my on network machines.  I have an extensive home network, where I try to use the WIFI as little as possible.  There are at times 9 computers on the network along with an Xbox 360 and a blue-ray player.  I have a load leveling router with 2 ISP connections one wireless and one Century Link, connected to a 16 port switch with all but 3 of the ports connected.

Does anyone know what might be happening and further steps I could take?

Thank you

Saturday, November 9, 2013 3:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This would be caused by the third-party application, you can check the startup items in MSconfig, if the network issue does not occur in this situation, I suggest you uninstall the third-party security software to check how it works.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, November 25, 2013 2:15 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This would be caused by the third-party application, you can check the startup items in MSconfig, if the network issue does not occur in this situation, I suggest you uninstall the third-party security software to check how it works.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, November 25, 2013 2:15 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:45 AM
  • firstly im not qualified , but im keen .the symptom's described sound to me like a dllhost.exe problem (other symptoms include ,ram and cpu thrashing look for these too ) as I understand it this .exe is responsible for among many things indexing of hard drives ,you need process explorer to watch its behaviour the network thrashing is likely occurring as a result of dllhost being unable to complete its task and starting anew (correct me if im wrong ms techs ) id suggest first dismantling the home group network if the problem persists on the raptor raided machine its localised to that rig if it behaves its another machine on the network , id be looking for hard drive errors too but bear in mind if you have used eg CCleaners disk wipe utility like I did and created the errors a fresh formatting will be in order ,now if that raptor rig still misbehaves after disconnection from home group id try exporting (make as many unique images as possible available to youself) an old restore image to dvd re formatting the raptor raid 0  run your windows install disc and opt for REPAIR and not install follow the on screen prompts . As for the other rigs watch dllhost.exe again to determine the offending rig ,other than that im outta ideas .

this fixes iv described are just that they don't actually determine the root cause of the dllhost.exe error which for me was frustrating I never came to an acceptable conclusion as to the exact cause might of been viral might of been caused by me as described above, happy hunting.

Friday, November 15, 2013 2:37 PM