I am not able neither to perform a BACKUP on an external Hard Disk nor produce RECOVERY DISKS nor create a RESTORE POINT RRS feed

• Question

• HELP.

My computer is a SONY VAIO laptop model VPCCW17FX. My OS is WINDOWS 7 - 64 BITS.

1- When i first bought it, i did succeed to create a set of RECOVERY DISKS that I used to restore my system when I had to change the Internal Hard Disk. But the VAIO CARE program was always telling me afterwards that I need to create a st of RECOVERY DISKS which I never succeeded again to do. The process was copying the related info to the RECOVERY PARTITION until 41% then was stopping and telling me that there was an error. It never copied or burned anything on the virgin disk. I checked the hidden RECOVERY PARTITION and found its size to be 10,40 GB, 705 of which FREE while the rest is taken by certain files carrying the name RECOVERY. Shall I delete them ???

2- Same was happening when I was trying to create a RESTORE POINT.

3- I was always succeeding in making BACKUPS on an external disk of 149 GB. The backup size never exceeded 60 GB. Only last week, the process was stopping and telling me that there is NO sufficient disk space. I deleted everything from the external disk and tried again. Same results. I used a different external disk of 149 GB but I got same result.

Please help me.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:08 AM

Answers

• Dear Vincent

GREAT SURPRISE

After having written to you the upper message, I decided to FORMAT the RECOVERY disk of 10,40 GB. Once quick formated, I tried to create RECOVERY DISKS but failed got the message that my computer could NOT find the partition. Then I again cold started the computer and tried to create a RESTORE POINT.

BIG SURPRISE. I succeeded. The I tried to make a backup on my external disk, and again I succeeded.

This means that YOU ARE A GENIOUS.

I am still trying to create RECOVERY DISKS, but my VAIO CARE program is not proposing this to me. I have to find the command somewhere else. I am now searching.

But, in the mean time, I wanted to thank you very much for your help. You are indeed a KIND GENIOUS person.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What the error message received when you performing the backup?

I suggest you try the following:

1: Verify the VSS service

1. Click “Start”, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

Note: If UAC (User Account Control) window is prompted for permission to continue, please click “Continue”.

2. Double click “Volume Shadow Copy Service” and switch to “General” tab.

3. Change the “Startup type” to “Automatic” and click “Apply”.

4. Click “Start” and click “OK”.

2: Test the issue in Clean Boot.

Also the following thread for your reference:

Windows 7 backup error, unable to do system backups

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/157442b4-0275-4b7e-8b19-8d1cecd603dd/

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:47 AM
  • THANK YOU dear Vincent for your attention.

As per your advice, I did in  “Volume Shadow Copy Service”  Change the “Startup type” to “Automatic” and clicked “Apply” then START and OK.

Then I made a cold start of the laptop and tried again all 3 tasks one after the other.  Only the creation of RECOVERY DISKS did NOT give me any error code while the 2 others, i.e CREATION of a RESTORE POINT and BACKUPS gave me the same error code, that is 0x80070070 together with the info that there is NO sufficient space on the disk.

Could you again tell me what to do ??

Thank you in advance

Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:20 PM
  • Dear Vincent

GREAT SURPRISE

After having written to you the upper message, I decided to FORMAT the RECOVERY disk of 10,40 GB. Once quick formated, I tried to create RECOVERY DISKS but failed got the message that my computer could NOT find the partition. Then I again cold started the computer and tried to create a RESTORE POINT.

BIG SURPRISE. I succeeded. The I tried to make a backup on my external disk, and again I succeeded.

This means that YOU ARE A GENIOUS.

I am still trying to create RECOVERY DISKS, but my VAIO CARE program is not proposing this to me. I have to find the command somewhere else. I am now searching.

But, in the mean time, I wanted to thank you very much for your help. You are indeed a KIND GENIOUS person.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:35 PM