What Network Info is Appended to a Task Sequence Media Set RRS feed

• Question

• This question is regarding SCCM 2007R3.

If I create an operating system deployment package, then create a task sequence to deploy it, then choose to create deployment media (i.e., DVD) I was wondering if SCCM appends or includes either or both of the two following pieces of information to the deployment media:

1 - the FQDN of the SCCM server

2 - the IP address of the SCCM server

The reason I ask is we are creating the media to deploy an OS on one network, but the network the image media is destined for is an air gap network maintained at a different security level. Our network security people want to verify that if such info is not explicitly included by someone creating the deployment media, if it is included as part of the SCCM program's build of the media.

Any assistance answering this or a link to a relevant MS treatise on what network identifying data SCCM includes with an OS task sequence deployment package would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 11:53 PM

Answers

• For stand-alone media, the assumption is that any and all site resources are unavailable during deployment and the task sequence will in no way try to reach out to the site. The actual client agent deployed during the ts will be assigned to the site, but in your case will never be able to communicate back to the site and could be reassigned to a site on the client's actual network after the ts is finished.

Also note that good practice dictates that IP addresses are never ever directly used or referred to by applications and ConfigMgr is no different.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Marked as answer by Highspeedlane Wednesday, August 7, 2013 11:28 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:01 AM

All replies

• For stand-alone media, the assumption is that any and all site resources are unavailable during deployment and the task sequence will in no way try to reach out to the site. The actual client agent deployed during the ts will be assigned to the site, but in your case will never be able to communicate back to the site and could be reassigned to a site on the client's actual network after the ts is finished.

Also note that good practice dictates that IP addresses are never ever directly used or referred to by applications and ConfigMgr is no different.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Marked as answer by Highspeedlane Wednesday, August 7, 2013 11:28 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:01 AM
  • Thank you for the helpful info Jason.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 11:28 PM