Simple AD RMS 2008 R2 Fails RRS feed

• Question

• I've been at this for days. My steps are the following. Please don't refer me to documentation unless you know i'm missing something.

1 - Install windows 2008 R2 sp1

2 - add AD DS and run DCPROMO. My domain is a.contoso.com

3 - Create SVCADRMS and SVCADRMSADMIN

4 - Give SVCADRMSADMIN Enterprise Admin rights and Schema Admin Rights.

5 - Give SVCADRMS Domain Admin rights (because i'm adding ad rms to domain controller)

6 - Add AD RMS Role. Choose to use Windows Internal Database. Choose non-ssl website with internal url http://adrms.a.contoso.com

7 - Run installation. It fails every time with the event ID 1614, which I googled but there is no clear answer. The DRMS registry entry doesn't look right. There is no virtual directory created. There is no database created.

Please mark my response as an answer if appropriate.
    Learn.SharePoint.com

Thursday, August 9, 2012 5:20 PM

Answers

• This shaved a month off my life i'll never get back. It turned out to be my domain name "a.contoso.com". When I changed my domain name to "contoso.com" it works sure thing. With "a.contoso.com" you are sure to get an error mentioning invalid configuration settings

Learn.SharePoint.com

Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I did the installation following your procedure and it is working.

After installing Windows (2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 slipstream CD) I assigned a fixed IP address and subnet mask, no gateway and DNS is 127.0.0.1. I create the two users and clicked throught the RMS install wizard.

Check for logfiles in %temp% and c:\windows\temp.

Regards,

Lutz

Sunday, August 12, 2012 4:57 AM
  • This shaved a month off my life i'll never get back. It turned out to be my domain name "a.contoso.com". When I changed my domain name to "contoso.com" it works sure thing. With "a.contoso.com" you are sure to get an error mentioning invalid configuration settings

Learn.SharePoint.com

Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:15 PM