Excluding disabled and expired users from Global Address List RRS feed

• Question

• There showed a request in my company to remove expired user accounts from the GAL. Is there any way to do it in the filter rules of the GAL? I would practicaly like to exclude them from GAL when they are expired, and include them in the GAL when enabling them again, but in an automatic way. Is there any method existing to do that? We are using Exchange Server 2003.

Thanx,

Kristian

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:11 AM

Answers

• You have to either remove their Exchange attributes or hide them from the address book.  I don't know of any way of doing this that's easier than writing a script.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, March 6, 2014 5:15 AM

All replies

• You have to either remove their Exchange attributes or hide them from the address book.  I don't know of any way of doing this that's easier than writing a script.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, March 6, 2014 5:15 AM
  • Hi,

To hide from the address list, you can follow the steps below to get this.

1. Open ESM, expand Recipients.
    2. Click on All Global Address Lists, in the right hand pane right click Default Global Address List and go to Properties.
    3. In the Default Global Address List Properties, click preview.
    4. Scroll through a list of users to choose the user you want to hide, right click and go to Properties.
    5. Under the Exchange Advanced tab, check "hide from Exchange address lists"

Best regards,
    Belinda

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 6, 2014 5:57 AM
  • Hi Belinda...

Thanx for your answer, but I know of that procedure. I was wondering if there is any way to say exclude expired accounts from GAL without doing it manually? I've found some powershell scripts to find those expired accounts and set the "hide from Exchange address lists" to $true, but I would like to say exclude all expired and disabled accounts so when I disable them or they are exoired they are excluded, and when I enable them they automatically are included in the list!? For what I've seen so far there is no way, but maybe I have somehow missed it...

Regards,

Kristian

Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:00 AM

Hi Ed,

That's what I thought,

Thank you!!

Regards,

Kristian

Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:09 AM